Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - not an iPhone killer, a nice option

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I keep hearing people talk about the Galaxy Notes. One of these days, I'm going to have to go check them out.

Duane

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4725966 said:
I keep hearing people talk about the Galaxy Notes. One of these days, I'm going to have to go check them out.
Size wise they are very impressive but the battery life would worry me. It has to suck a lot of juice powering that huge screen.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4725966 said:

G-Note ;-)

Duane;4725972 said:
Size wise they are very impressive but the battery life would worry me. It has to suck a lot of juice powering that huge screen.

I believe it 3,100mah battery for G-Note2. Most batteries were 1,600-1,700 only a few months ago.

The Razr Maxx starting beefing up battery and others are following.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4725966 said:

One of the guys I used to work with had a Note. They make the Nexus look small by comparison. At first I thought it was overkill until I thought about how I use my phone. Most of the time I'm not using the "phone" at all, but the tab/computer software. The Note is definitely on my short list when it comes to a new portable telecom device.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Duane;4725972 said:
From what I understand, the bigger the size of screen, the better the battery life, only because with a larger form factor, you can fit a larger battery. In other words, battery life increases at a greater ratio relative to size than does the battery drain of the screen. I'm sure it depends on the phone (in terms of both hardware and the software), but that's what I'd heard was the rule of thumb.

Duane

Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4725977 said:
G-Note ;-)

I believe it 3,100mah battery for G-Note2. Most batteries were 1,600-1,700 only a few months ago.

The Razr Maxx starting beefing up battery and others are following.

theogt;4726281 said:
From what I understand, the bigger the size of screen, the better the battery life, only because with a larger form factor, you can fit a larger battery. In other words, battery life increases at a greater ratio relative to size than does the battery drain of the screen. I'm sure it depends on the phone (in terms of both hardware and the software), but that's what I'd heard was the rule of thumb.

That makes sense. I wasn't thinking of adding a larger batter along with the bigger screen.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4736458 said:
This thing is sweet.

[youtube]zyK7EzIRoWo[/youtube]

That is pretty cool. Not sure I would ever really use the stylus though.

I've gotta say. I'm been a bit down on Verizon's network. Specifically on my train ride home each day. That is when I use it the most as most other times I'm on WiFi, or doing a quick look up of something.

I spoke to a VAR who came into the office to see me and he said he had a Galaxy Nexus too and switched to some other phone (Razr or something similar I believe) and his data services dramatically improved. Of course, he lives in Long Island and I do not. If what he says is true, apparently there are some software driver issues for the data services on the Galaxy Nexus on the Verizon network. I wish I had another G4 phone to verify that truly is what the issue is.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4736481 said:
That is pretty cool. Not sure I would ever really use the stylus though.

I've gotta say. I'm been a bit down on Verizon's network. Specifically on my train ride home each day. That is when I use it the most as most other times I'm on WiFi, or doing a quick look up of something.

I spoke to a VAR who came into the office to see me and he said he had a Galaxy Nexus too and switched to some other phone (Razr or something similar I believe) and his data services dramatically improved. Of course, he lives in Long Island and I do not. If what he says is true, apparently there are some software driver issues for the data services on the Galaxy Nexus on the Verizon network. I wish I had another G4 phone to verify that truly is what the issue is.

Just a compare look.

341828.jpg

You know... THAT is the thing about Samsung. I am not crazy about their build. NOW, you mention software/driver issue. THAT would be a dealbreaker for me.

Lets see.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4736496 said:
Just a compare look.

341828.jpg

You know... THAT is the thing about Samsung. I am not crazy about their build. NOW, you mention software/driver issue. THAT would be a dealbreaker for me.

Lets see.

I don't think it's all Samsung's phones. It's specific to the Galaxy Nexus and I think specific to the Verizon network also.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4736497 said:
I don't think it's all Samsung's phones. It's specific to the Galaxy Nexus and I think specific to the Verizon network also.

I hope you are right.

Since the advent of the "smartphone" they have all been rather unimpressive.

You know what I mean. When you get passed all the buzzwords and marketing-speak. If you really look into what they have been pedaling its be lackluster to say the least.

I believe the Gnote2 is the first phone that is promising in delivering something "special". Not just more of the same.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
REDVOLUTION;4736502 said:
I hope you are right.

You know what I mean. When you get passed all the buzzwords and marketing-speak. If you really look into what they have been pedaling its be lackluster to say the least.

I believe the Gnote2 is the first phone that is promising in delivering something "special". Not just more of the same.

Except for the network issue, I absolutely love the Galaxy Nexus. I hear nothing about good things about the Galaxy S III, though I have never seen one.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
REDVOLUTION;4736502 said:
I hope you are right.

I agree completely. I have yet to find a so-called "smartphone" that is revolutionary or impressive. The case styles are getting better, but now they are getting too large to be used as phone which is just as bad as 10 years ago when they started getting too small to be used as a phone.

I personally use two laptops, a desktop and an iPad nearly every day. For my phone, I have an old flip-phone that works great as a phone which is what I want from a phone. I understand the desire to create all-in-one devices but history has shown all-in-one devices rarely succeed when it comes to replacing the other devices. Yes, it's nice to use a smartphone to search the net while you are out, but any serious searching is much easier to do from a laptop/desktop keyboard.

As much as I love my iPad, I don't want to write an article on it even with a wireless keyboard. As much as I love my gaming laptop, I would much rather play games on my desktop. A smartphone as a computer is only handy when 1) you are away from a real computer and need something right then or 2) you are bored and need a toy to entertain you for a while.

I prefer the smaller size of a flip-phone and the larger size of a tablet device over a single device that is too large for a phone and too small for a computer.

#reality

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I agree. A notebook is the smallest media creator devices. Everything else (iPad, Nexus 7, smartphones, etc) are all media consuming devices. Without ergonomic input devices, you just can't be that productive using one.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Reality;4736574 said:
I agree completely. I have yet to find a so-called "smartphone" that is revolutionary or impressive. The case styles are getting better,

(1) but now they are getting too large to be used as phone which is just as bad as 10 years ago when they started getting too small to be used as a phone.

(2) I personally use two laptops, a desktop and an iPad nearly every day. For my phone, I have an old flip-phone that works great as a phone which is what I want from a phone. I understand the desire to create all-in-one devices but history has shown all-in-one devices rarely succeed when it comes to replacing the other devices. Yes, it's nice to use a smartphone to search the net while you are out, but any serious searching is much easier to do from a laptop/desktop keyboard.

(3) As much as I love my iPad, I don't want to write an article on it even with a wireless keyboard. As much as I love my gaming laptop, I would much rather play games on my desktop. A smartphone as a computer is only handy when 1) you are away from a real computer and need something right then or 2) you are bored and need a toy to entertain you for a while.

(4) I prefer the smaller size of a flip-phone and the larger size of a tablet device over a single device that is too large for a phone and too small for a computer.

#reality

(1) Agree and disagree. Too large but they are computing devices now and the phone function is almost secondary. 10 + years ago it was a large phone and it was large because it had to be. Now they are large because they are computers.

(2) I hear ya. 2 laptops, 2 desktops, android tablet, ipad, itouch, ipod, android phone, flip razr2 - I too loved the original razr flip phone. Still do.

(3) Absolutely. It is NOT practical. No matter how much a ipad user will say, "I dont know how I ever survived without one" laughable. But the all in one is here and it is the future, ultimately.

(4) Again, If they did a major upgrad to the original razr I would get it again and use it primarily as as just a phone. My 2nd phone # is on a razr 2 flip phone STILL. People laugh but the call quality is awesome.

In summary, I will adjust to the size of the Sammy2. I actually dont run with the "its too big" crowd. For me it serves computing power for the purpose that I need - on the go.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
REDVOLUTION;4736624 said:
(1) 10 + years ago it was a large phone and it was large because it had to be. Now they are large because they are computers.

I was mainly talking about all of the tiny phones that came out then. Nokia released several of the kid-like phones for adults for example were quite small.

I like flip-phones because they protect the screen, are small when closed so they fit in a pocket very easily and are large enough to hold when you open them up while using them.

#reality

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Reality;4736637 said:
I was mainly talking about all of the tiny phones that came out then. Nokia released several of the kid-like phones for adults for example were quite small.

I like flip-phones because they protect the screen, are small when closed so they fit in a pocket very easily and are large enough to hold when you open them up while using them.

#reality

I would love it they came out with a practical smart phone that was a flip of some sort. Still think they might.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont know if im going to be able to resist the note 2!!! I wanted the first one bad but sprint didnt get it. I hate to but i might have to cancel my sprint and get at&t again.!! That means a higher bill and limited data though that sucks!!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
StarBoyz83;4736755 said:
I dont know if im going to be able to resist the note 2!!! I wanted the first one bad but sprint didnt get it. I hate to but i might have to cancel my sprint and get at&t again.!! That means a higher bill and limited data though that sucks!!

Same for me. I wanted the Note but I am on Verizon.

The GN2 should come out on ATT, Sprint and Verizon.