San Antonio... a few questions.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I'm going down to San Antonio for a few days after the OU/TX game and I had some questions that I was hoping some "locals" could answer for me.

First and foremost... I'm flying in just before the beginning of the Cowboys/Eagles game. Can anyone tell me if there is a local radio station for the Cowboys in San Antonio? I want to make sure I get in on in the rental car as soon as I land!

Secondly, I'm sure it will be the Fox featured afternoon game... but can you tell me what TV channel (number) it will be on?

I'm sure my family will want to go to the Riverwalk soon after we arrive... if I get roped into doing that, does anyone have a place they recommend I could go in that area where the game would likely be on?

OK, now that I have all the Cowboys/Eagles game related questions out of the way... what beyond the obvious (Riverwalk, Alamo) do y'all suggest I visit while in San Antonio? Any restaurants that are a must-visit?

Thanks for your help Cowboys Zone!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It's been years since I went to SA, and I wasn't legal at the time, and they were chaperoned, so I can't tell you what to do. I think Woody's Girl lives down there.

That being said, try starting at the Wikipedia entry for it. Whenever I travel, I always start there and go out and research things to do as far as good restaurants and what not. If you like history or culture, SA is a good place to go.

Good luck!

Aggie87

Reaction score
Longtime lurker here.

Regarding places to visit - the Mercado (indoor Mexican market) is fun.

Wandering up and down the Riverwalk itself is enjoyable. There are some things around the Alamo (wax museum and such) that might be fun, depending on the age of your kids.

Other family type things - Seaworld, and Fiesta Texas (a Six Flags amusement park). A trip up the Hemifair Tower offers a nice view of the city.

If you're going to be there for a few days, a short drive up I-35 to New Braunfels might be nice. It's a small town, with German flavor. Great water park there called Schlitterbahn, as well as some great rivers for tubing. I don't know how cold the water is at this point, or if they've closed for the season or not. Might still be open on weekends.

For restaurants - I like El Pico de Gallo for mexican food (down not too far from the Mercado), or La Fogata, over on Vance Jackson. There are a number of eating places on the Riverwalk, mostly chain type places (Hard Rock, etc). Dick's is a fun place to check out, they're purposely rude to everyone in there.

Folks who live in San Antonio might have some better recommendations.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Aggie87;1070875 said:
Longtime lurker here.

Regarding places to visit - the Mercado (indoor Mexican market) is fun.

Wandering up and down the Riverwalk itself is enjoyable. There are some things around the Alamo (wax museum and such) that might be fun, depending on the age of your kids.

Other family type things - Seaworld, and Fiesta Texas (a Six Flags amusement park). A trip up the Hemifair Tower offers a nice view of the city.

If you're going to be there for a few days, a short drive up I-35 to New Braunfels might be nice. It's a small town, with German flavor. Great water park there called Schlitterbahn, as well as some great rivers for tubing. I don't know how cold the water is at this point, or if they've closed for the season or not. Might still be open on weekends.

For restaurants - I like El Pico de Gallo for mexican food (down not too far from the Mercado), or La Fogata, over on Vance Jackson. There are a number of eating places on the Riverwalk, mostly chain type places (Hard Rock, etc). Dick's is a fun place to check out, they're purposely rude to everyone in there.

Folks who live in San Antonio might have some better recommendations.

Thanks Aggie!

DA FAN

Reaction score
There's a Hooters at the Rivercenter Mall, more than likely they will be showing the game.