Saquon Barkley

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd be highly surprised if Jones first 2-3 years of his contract hit the cap hard. It will most likely work out like a Tannehill deal. As for Barkley's contract, if they can get Barkley in the range of Dalvin Cook's contract, they can afford that and a lot more. Barkley is certainly worth what Henry and Cook are getting right now (Henry deserved more, Titans got a great deal with him)
I agree on Barkley. The Giants also have plenty of cap to pay Barkley something reasonable. No real need to get rid of him now.

Don't forget Jones is up for a new contract, not an extension. No rookie years left to hide money. No 5th year option either. If they give him a 45M a year contract, at most, 1 year with around a 20M hit. They could push money forward like the Cowboys do.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I agree on Barkley. The Giants also have plenty of cap to pay Barkley something reasonable. No real need to get rid of him now.

Don't forget Jones is up for a new contract, not an extension. No rookie years left to hide money. No 5th year option either. If they give him a 45M a year contract, at most, 1 year with around a 20M hit. They could push money forward like the Cowboys do.
They can still buy time for the first 3 years or so - like I mentioned, I expect a Tannehill type of deal for Jones. I cannot see a justifiable way to give him what the reports are asking. Not after one season of good football. Maybe some reasonable incentives will be baked into the contract.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Agree . Draft fresh backs . Unbelievable KM and MM didn’t dust off Davis 2nd half in SF
That’s our great organization again; they let the running game fall apart in the second half without trying Davis because they knew Jerry would be pissed if they bypassed Zeke. And they knew Zeke was worthless. I bet good teams like SF lick their chops when they see us on the playoff schedule because we are suspect in so many places. Defense plays great but our QB sucked. With our QB struggling, our run game has Zeke. And then we had a schizophrenic kicker waiting on the bench to do whatever.

Flamma

Reaction score
They can still buy time for the first 3 years or so - like I mentioned, I expect a Tannehill type of deal for Jones. I cannot see a justifiable way to give him what the reports are asking. Not after one season of good football. Maybe some reasonable incentives will be baked into the contract.
Remember, Tannehill wasn't drafted by Tennessee. Once you leave the team that drafted you, anything goes.

Flamma

Reaction score
I heard Barkley turned down a 12M a year offer. Can anyone confirm that? That's his listed market value. He's nuts if he turned that down. Mark Holmes mentioned it.

Flamma

Reaction score
I heard 12 as well . Danny “ Dimes “ wants 45 million also highly over inflated .
Barkley is stupid for not taking 12 if that's the case. We're nitpicking here. Which is why I question that report. He's a RB, he'd be lucky to get 12 a year. What's he holding out for, 14?

I also don't see any other team offering Jones 45M a year. I know these QBs have some kind of devotion to the people that follow. But at some point you have to think for yourself. I also don't think any team offers him 45M a year.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Barkley is stupid for not taking 12 if that's the case. We're nitpicking here. Which is why I question that report. He's a RB, he'd be lucky to get 12 a year. What's he holding out for, 14?

I also don't see any other team offering Jones 45M a year. I know these QBs have some kind of devotion to the people that follow. But at some point you have to think for yourself. I also don't think any team offers him 45M a year.

45 million for an average QB just tied up cap that could be better spent . Barkley is injury prone draft a fresh back .

John813

Reaction score
Maybe the 12mil AAV had very little guarantees? A la Steelers contract

kskboys

Reaction score
Given Barkleys banged up NFL history I move on. With solid OLine play a 7th rounder from Rutgers was the starter at RB in the SB Chiefs. This is not a position you need to tie up cap .
That 7th rounder started because he is very good.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're right. But if he accepts something like 30-35M a year I'd fall off my chair. All QBs coming off rookie deals insist on top market value from the team that drafted them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one QB that took a different path.
Just for ships and wiggles, I looked trying to disprove that, and I could not.

Flamma

Reaction score
Just for ships and wiggles, I looked trying to disprove that, and I could not.
Yeah, they won't do it. Something about having a responsibility to those that come after you.

For example, let's say the Jets wanted to sign Sam Darnold to a 4 year 80m contract, fully guaranteed. He would have refused. He wouldn't stay at any price other than top market value. Or go to another team on a short term prove it deal.