Saturday XFL thread

wecasa

Reaction score
Which player?
Michael Miller 64 C
He was our left tackle in hs. Good kid. Was in a few of my classes. Went to a d2 school here in ks, washburn. Played in some ucallit league for a bit. Had a few nfl sniffs but nothing ever materialized. Hope he does well.

FanSince71

Reaction score
Jim Zorn...lol...remember him as the Skins HC?

You think that’s funny? I remember him as the Seahawks QB. LOL

Here’s some useless trivia: Zorn was signed as a UFA by the Cowboys in 1975 and had made the team, but he was cut 2 days before the season opener to make room for the Cowboys to sign Preston Pearson.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I only watched a little bit of both games and didn't hear what they might have said about one part of those kickoff rules. What about when a team is behind at the end of a game and wants to try an onside kick? Is that been completely taken away. If it is, they need to fix that.

The NFL is talking about doing away with the kickoffs all together and just putting the ball on the 25 yard line. Instead of the onside kick they would put the ball on the kicking team's 25 yard line and say it's 4th and 15. The problem with that is if it fails, the other team would get the ball a lot closer to scoring than if they just recovered an onside kick. Since that 4th down play is going to be a pass and if it's incomplete then the other team gets the ball at the 25 yard line. My idea is if the 4th down play is short, then the other team gets the ball on the 40 yard line where they probably would have gotten the ball if an onside kick was tried.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You think that’s funny? I remember him as the Seahawks QB. LOL

Here’s some useless trivia: Zorn was signed as a UFA by the Cowboys in 1975 and had made the team, but he was cut 2 days before the season opener to make room for the Cowboys to sign Preston Pearson.

Zorn was a undrafted free agent and Preston Pearson was the first Cowboys player who wasn't drafted by the Cowboys or signed as an undrafted free agent. Here's a little more trivia. When Zorn was in Seattle his favorite receiver was a slow white receiver named Steve Largent. who is in the HOF and was also a U.S. Congressman from 1994 - 2002.

willia451

Reaction score
I watched most of both games. Biggest takeaways:

1. LA needs a QB
2. A little light but enough people showed up and were into it to make it exciting.
3. The transparency was refreshing
4. Fewer commercials and flags was refreshing
5. Now I know where all the 340 lb. DTs went. They're in the XFL.

Bottom line: The level of play was better than I expected. The players played hard, made some plays, were in shape, and genuinely seemed excited to be there. The XFL has a product and its not trash. Now we'll see if the level of attendance we saw today is sustainable.

Looking forward to the Dallas game today. I'll be watching.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I forgot to watch. What did y’all think. I see there is games today so I will looksy.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I watched part of one game and it wasn’t horrible but I still don’t think it will last. I still contend the only new professional football league that could survive long term would be one made up of college aged players that for whatever reason couldn’t get in or chose not to go to college. If there was a deal that allowed them to enter the draft at a certain point, I think people would watch. I’d much rather watch younger guys attempting to make it to the NFL than to watch guys who already had their shot and weren’t good enough. Maybe a mix of guys 18-24 years old trying to get drafted or trying to get another chance would work out well in my mind but I would want more of the 18-20 year olds trying to get drafted.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I watched part of one game and it wasn’t horrible but I still don’t think it will last. I still contend the only new professional football league that could survive long term would be one made up of college aged players that for whatever reason couldn’t get in or chose not to go to college. If there was a deal that allowed them to enter the draft at a certain point, I think people would watch. I’d much rather watch younger guys attempting to make it to the NFL than to watch guys who already had their shot and weren’t good enough. Maybe a mix of guys 18-24 years old trying to get drafted or trying to get another chance would work out well in my mind but I would want more of the 18-20 year olds trying to get drafted.
Probably everyone of these XFL players are attempting to get back into the NFL. Most of them won't make it, but there will be some.

glimmerman

Reaction score
A shame the NFL couldn’t have 2 sets of teams. One that ran during our offseason. NFL all year long.

Blake

Reaction score

Alot of the guys in the XFL are just right out of college. Given how the NCAA "exploits" their athletes it's likely some of the new up and coming talent might forego college in favor of signing a contract with the XFL, to prepare for the NFL. We see that type of trend happening in the NBA already, with the latest Ball brother choosing to join a professional basketball league over seas instead of playing in college. The XFL is here to stay for at least 3 years, given that Vince has set it up to operate without profit for at least that long. You're really missing the bigger picture.

And people are watching. The league has registered well with football fans so far, now the question remains if it it can grow and sustain that popularity.

smitty313

Reaction score
Michael Miller 64 C
He was our left tackle in hs. Good kid. Was in a few of my classes. Went to a d2 school here in ks, washburn. Played in some ucallit league for a bit. Had a few nfl sniffs but nothing ever materialized. Hope he does well.
Very cool, best of luck to him

bewp7

Reaction score
i really like the kickoff, extra point, and ref/replay stuff. they have a lot of cool ideas that do make the game more fun and better to watch.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Probably everyone of these XFL players are attempting to get back into the NFL. Most of them won't make it, but there will be some.

I get that but like I said, I’d rather watch 18-21 year olds trying to get drafted than guys who already went through college, the draft, and the NFL and were deemed not good enough. I think a lot of people feel the same way and would watch to see guys their favorite NFL team might end up drafting. It’s just my opinion, but I think the only new league that could work would be one that competes with college football and gets players ready for the draft instead of one made up of guys who had a shot and failed. Whoever starts that league and makes it work would end up a multi billionaire when they finally sell the league to the NFL as a true developmental league.