Saying Goodbye to a Grand Ole Gal

RoadRunner

Reaction score
tomson75;2496942 said:
My three earliest memories regarding the television.

1. Being freaked out by those apelike creatures on 'Land of the Lost'.

2. The hyper excitability I felt when watching the original opening to an HBO movie (the one where a camera 'flew' over what essentially looked like an enormous miniature city).

3. The same feeling when I saw Texas Stadium on TV with the lights pouring out of it's roof.

LOL, I could post the exact same thing. All three things are memorable in my lifetime as well.

I will miss Texas Stadium. It has been a great 37 years. I'm considering buying some seats after they dismantle the old gal.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Not yet...!

There is still another game to be played...!

This post is not approved by 5Stars.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
thanks Hostile.....nice memories indeed.
i am excited and yet dreading going to this last game.
so many good times mixed in with some bad ones (losses).

last night on the video board they showed a lot of the old highlights,
it almost made me cry when they showed Emmitt breaking the record
and the crowd gave a huge roar.

they showed Landry and the place erupted !!! even showed that silhouette
picture of him that is so famous. Cold chills went all over me. Nice to see that
even after so long Landry is so loved by the fans.

Jerry said on his show Saturday night that if he could have his Christmas Wish List, he would have EVERY player that ever played there be in attendance at the last game. It should be cool to see who makes it.

After the game there is going to be some kind of celebration, they havent said too much about it yet.

So thanks for the tribute....my mind is gonna be on this weeks game even
more than usual.

kbman

Reaction score
Thank You Hostile, that was the best thing I've read in awhile.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Sarge;2497637 said:
That would be sleestack.

Was there more than one? I seem to recall there being several...but I was only like 3 or 4 years old.

RoadRunner;2497781 said:
LOL, I could post the exact same thing. All three things are memorable in my lifetime as well.

I will miss Texas Stadium. It has been a great 37 years. I'm considering buying some seats after they dismantle the old gal.

Really? I thought I was the only one that had some weird nostalgic feeling when I see that old HBO intro. I thought that was the coolest thing back then.

Oh, and great job on this Hostile.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I went to my last game at Texas Stadium last night. Great game, and the stadium was rocking. I've been to many games at Texas Stadium, and it is always a thrill.

Last night, right before the first play of the 4th quarter, the cold front hit......giving me one last thing to remember about the grand ole stadium on my last visit.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Cbz40;2497756 said:
Good Gawd!!!!!! Had to get out the kleenex....buggers....tears every where...Thanks Hos.:(:)

Get a ffffinn life!

Oh, sorry, Cbz40...:eek:

Good things coming up...eating peas.

:eek::

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
5Stars;2497814 said:
Get a ffffinn life!

Oh, sorry, Cbz40...:eek:

Good things coming up...eating peas.

:eek::

Pretty good stuff.

Hope I get to see a game in the new stadium.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2497813 said:
I went to my last game at Texas Stadium last night. Great game, and the stadium was rocking. I've been to many games at Texas Stadium, and it is always a thrill.

Last night, right before the first play of the 4th quarter, the cold front hit......giving me one last thing to remember about the grand ole stadium on my last visit.

That is Texas weather for you. One thanksgiving its 75 degrees, the next year it may be snowing and 28 degrees on the same day.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Cbz40;2497822 said:
Pretty good stuff.

Hope I get to see a game in the new stadium.

Now! That's a plan... Me too? Road trip?

I will...somehow.

It's all in the peas...

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
poke;2497795 said:
thanks Hostile.....nice memories indeed.
i am excited and yet dreading going to this last game.
so many good times mixed in with some bad ones (losses).

last night on the video board they showed a lot of the old highlights,
it almost made me cry when they showed Emmitt breaking the record
and the crowd gave a huge roar.

they showed Landry and the place erupted !!! even showed that silhouette
picture of him that is so famous. Cold chills went all over me. Nice to see that
even after so long Landry is so loved by the fans.

Jerry said on his show Saturday night that if he could have his Christmas Wish List, he would have EVERY player that ever played there be in attendance at the last game. It should be cool to see who makes it.

After the game there is going to be some kind of celebration, they havent said too much about it yet.

So thanks for the tribute....my mind is gonna be on this weeks game even
more than usual.
I read this post 3 times in a row. Thanks for posting that about the tribute last night, Jerry's wishes, and the celebration.

IMO the NFL Network should do what they did last year and simulcast it with CBS and NBC so the whole nation can see the game.

zack

Reaction score
Hostile;2496847 said:
3170TexasStadium.jpg

They call her Texas Stadium, and since six games into the 1971 season she has been the home of some great memories for Cowboys fans.

Texas Stadium replaced The Cotton Bowl as the home of the Cowboys. She wasn't quite ready when the 1971 season began so the first 2 home games were played in The Cotton Bowl. At The Cotton Bowl Dallas had amassed a 43-31-4 regular season record, and were 2-2 in the post season.

On October 24th, 1971 the New England Patriots were the first team to visit Texas Stadium. The Cowboys won that game 44-21. Duane Thomas scored the first Touchdown in Texas Stadium History on a 56 yard romp. It was a great way to introduce her to the NFL.

Since that day the Cowboys have compiled a record of 196-94, and 18-5 in the post season. They won their first 10 games there including a post season win in 1971. The longest winning streak there was 18 games. It was the last 2 home games of 1979, the 1980 season, and the 1981 season. Dallas lost the 1982 home opener to end that streak. Perhaps more impressive than that was the 8 straight games they won in the Post Season from 1992 to 1996. That last win was the last playoff win in Franchise History to this point.

All 5 of the Lombardi trophies were won by teams who played in Texas Stadium as their home field. Two of the three losing Super Bowl teams also called her home. The lone exception is the 1970 team that played in Super Bowl V against the Baltimore Colts. They called The Cotton Bowl home.

Saturday will close the doors on the grand old lady forever. Barring an NFC Playoff miracle the Cowboys cannot host a Post Season game in her this year. She had some blemishes, but damn she was good enough for me.

I will never forget the first time I saw Texas Stadium. I was flying to Chicago but had a flight change in Dallas. As the plane descended I caught a glimpse. I was immediately out of my seat trying to get a better look. It took 2 stewardesses to get me back into my seat. They didn't understand.

Seems odd to me that the NFL would have the Ravens be our last opponent there. Ultimately I don't care who it is as long as she never sees triple digit losses by her home team. As of right now, regular and post season, she has hosted 214 wins and 99 losses. 68% of the time, we held serve under the hole in the roof.

I'm excited about the new home for the 50th Anniversary team in 2009, but I will always love Texas Stadium. Let's send her off in fine style. Her first season was the first Super Bowl Championship in Cowboys History. I'd love nothing more than for her last one as the Cowboys center stage was hosting a Champion.

There's a long road to climb to get that 6th Lombardi trophy, but Texas Stadium deserves it. The fans who have packed her for so many years deserve it. As do the fans who have never been fortunate enough to step inside her gates.

Saturday Night will come way too fast in some ways. In other ways, it can't get her soon enough. One last glimpse of a grand ole lady comes with it. Who will score the last touchdown on her? Forever to be etched alongside Duane Thomas with the first as a trivia question.

No matter who scores that last touchdown or how great a tribute the NFL Network plans to have for that game, it simply will not be enough. A win is the only way to close the doors right. Baltimore must go down, and she must go down hard.

Nicely written, good job.

poke

Reaction score
YoMick;2498007 said:
We could still host a playoff game this season :D

yes we could....and i have the tickets bought for that !!
if it doesnt happen then it just goes toward next years tickets.

i started not to buy them when they sent the invoice but i just couldnt stand to think how i would feel if they did have a playoff game there and i was at home !

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
My 1st memories when it comes to TV and the reason I became a Cowboys fan(honestly, I believe I was born a Cowboys fan...didnt become one) was seeing a game brodcast from Texas Stadium where Roger brought the team back in the last moments for the win.

I was hooked from that moment. I dont remember the opponent or even the exact game. But I had to be around 4 yrs old, which woulda made it 1977.

Then flash forward to the 1993 season...

I finally went to my first game @ Texas Stadium. I live about 250 miles from Irving, TX. So the best way for me to go back then was on one of those bus trip deals(NOT RECOMMENDED). Throughout the long bus trip I kept thinking about all the great games Ive seen on TV along with all the great players to wear THE STAR.

The best memory for me was walking to the entrance where you go to your seat. OMG!!!! I lost my breath and for the only time in my life that I can remember I was speechless...Just looking down to the field, the sun was shining thru the hole in the roof. I swear I stood there in that spot for about 15 minutes.

There is never gonna be another feeling like that 1st time I went to Texas Stadium. All the other times have been very good experiences as well, but nothing can hold a candle to that 1st time...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
poke;2498113 said:
yes we could....and i have the tickets bought for that !!
if it doesnt happen then it just goes toward next years tickets.

i started not to buy them when they sent the invoice but i just couldnt stand to think how i would feel if they did have a playoff game there and i was at home !

Ah man... you thought of me... thank you.. thank you :)

poke

Reaction score
Doomsday Duck;2498122 said:
My 1st memories when it comes to TV and the reason I became a Cowboys fan(honestly, I believe I was born a Cowboys fan...didnt become one) was seeing a game brodcast from Texas Stadium where Roger brought the team back in the last moments for the win.

I was hooked from that moment. I dont remember the opponent or even the exact game. But I had to be around 4 yrs old, which woulda made it 1977.

I finally went to my first game @ Texas Stadium. I live about 250 miles from Irving, TX. So the best way for me to go back then was on one of those bus trip deals(NOT RECOMMENDED). Throughout the long bus trip I kept thinking about all the great games Ive seen on TV along with all the great players to wear THE STAR.

The best memory for me was walking to the entrance where you go to your seat. OMG!!!! I lost my breath and for the only time in my life that I can remember I was speechless...Just looking down to the field, the sun was shining thru the hole in the roof. I swear I stood there in that spot for about 15 minutes.

There is never gonna be another feeling like that 1st time I went to Texas Stadium. All the other times have been very good experiences as well, but nothing can hold a candle to that 1st time...

i know that feeling, and to this day, after many trips, i still stop when i go in and remember how that felt....excellent post !

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday Duck;2498122 said:

It's like going to church. You feel the need to be reverent.

I can only imagine what it will be like when I see a game in the new cathedral.