News: Scandrick says of Cowboys' next month of games, 'You have to relish these moments'

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cornerback Orlando Scandrick said the Cowboys shouldn’t stop to think about what has happened to past playoff drives, and instead dive in to the next four games with a chance to win the NFC East and make the playoffs.

“You have to relish these moments,” he said. “Like I said, you got to come up and no matter what we did last year, or the year before, or a few years ago when we beat Philly and went to the playoffs, none of that, that's all history – you got an opportunity to accomplish everything that we want to accomplish. Our first goal was to make the playoffs, win the NFC East and continue to go on. We got a month to put it together and it goes back to you gotta have the resolve and the resiliency and the want. It’s just you got to figure out a way.”

“It truly has to be one game at a time, because you get to looking ahead and you start thinking, ‘If we can win this and do this, then…’ You’re putting too much pressure on yourself at the end to perform. Honestly, Coach Garrett’s way of looking at it one game at a time, if you look at it one game at a time, you may look up in two or three weeks from now and may be playing a meaningless game. You never know. If I start looking up and thinking about what’s going to happen if we do this, or if we do that, then that’s when we get in trouble.”

Read more here:
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...of-games-you-have-to-relish-these-moments.htm

Kevinicus

Reaction score
lol, Garrett's way of looking at it one game at a time...it's such a novel concept. So glad we have a mastermind coach who could come up with the idea. /Sarcasm

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's one thing to say it, another to get the whole team to believe it. I'm glad we've got him, too.

Illini88228

Reaction score
lol, Garrett's way of looking at it one game at a time...it's such a novel concept. So glad we have a mastermind coach who could come up with the idea. /Sarcasm

What's he supposed to say, "We're just assuming we're going to beat the Bears, Packers, and Commanders. Either way it doesn't really matter as long as we don't botch the next three weeks up too bad. Really it's just all about that Eagles game in a month"?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys need to pull a Constanza and just do the opposite of what they normally do.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score

Sounds like common sense (and it probably is), cliche, and it's easy to talk about taking things one game at a time. And I'm not exactly sure what my point is - I guess that it's much easier to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk. It seems to be very difficult to not think about what if this, what if that, what about X opponent Y weeks from now... I'd take it a step further, and preach to my players to take it one day at a time.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
We, as fans, should relish it as well.

It's December and we control our own destiny. If we don't make it, we don't deserve to be there and we'll take the higher draft pick.

If we're there... anything can happen and at least we ruined it for our rivals.

mmohican29

Reaction score
For giggles, does anyone on this forum believe that the 90’s Cowboys took the one game at a time approach? I think it's the correct approach but that team knew it was going to win big and only feared a derailment along the way to the ultimate prize which was unacceptable. Just shows the parity level in the NFL today as opposed to 20 years ago.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

It's December and we control our own destiny. If we don't make it, we don't deserve to be there and we'll take the higher draft pick.

I definitely am. Really, how can we ask for any more than this? Heading into week 14 with the division lead and a 4-0 division record, with only one division rival having any realistic shot of catching us. And frankly, I'm ecstatic about the current health of this team this late in the season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For giggles, does anyone on this forum believe that the 90’s Cowboys took the one game at a time approach? I think it's the correct approach but that team knew it was going to win big and only feared a derailment along the way to the ultimate prize which was unacceptable. Just shows the parity level in the NFL today as opposed to 20 years ago.

I absolutely do. We're really just talking euphemisms for 'focus' here. Every team that's ever one a Superbowl did it by focusing and executing along the win-or-go-home path to get to, and then advance in the post season. It's always been that way. The difference was, Jimmy got that team really, really focused by manipulating them outwardly and building pride in their dominance. Like SEA is doing today, actually. Garrett's doing it through attention to detail while we overhaul the roster. It's the swagger, not the focus that's missing right now. And it's the swagger I hope we start seeing develop this month if this team's going to get better from here. Once that pride gets invested, I think it's easier for a team to be focused because they've got more skin in the game, so to speak. I keep waiting for it to happen. It looks sometimes like it's going to start rolling, and then we backslide. DET was a great chance for us to get over the hump this season and we let it go. The Giants game was another.

How we come out Monday night is going to tell us a lot about the trajectory of this team here in December. I'm not expecting a blowout, but I am expecting a confident team to come out and win a game they should win on the road against another good, but injured, opponent.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I definitely am. Really, how can we ask for any more than this? Heading into week 14 with the division lead and a 4-0 division record, with only one division rival having any realistic shot of catching us. And frankly, I'm ecstatic about the current health of this team this late in the season.

I am too. The years the Giants got there stuff together in December to go on a huge tear through the playoffs, they were getting healthy around this time. At least their front 7 was getting healthy around that time, and that's what's happening for us now. (knock on wood).

Ware is as healthy as he was early in the season. Hatcher is getting healthy. Lee should be back. And it looks like we've strengthened the front 7 a tad just by moving Wilber to the SAM.

I'd really like our chances with a healthy Dunbar, but what can you do?

Anyway it looks like we're as ready as we can possibly be for winter ball, so I'm excited one way or another.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score

Right now everything is going fine and dandy. But if we don't make the playoffs and win a game or 2. Then it's a failure.

blackbull

Reaction score

Perfect response

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I suppose he could've just said he's looking forward to the Eagirls game lol. Forget everything prior lol.....ya'll hold Garrett to such standards he'll never be able to meet lol. He says the right thing and we find a way to critique it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah you kind of already knew who was gonna make the post season year in and out lol. In the league now? You can go from worse to first. I Guess its good for the NFL....sucks for some fans though lol.....

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I suppose he could've just said he's looking forward to the Eagirls game lol. Forget everything prior lol.....ya'll hold Garrett to such standards he'll never be able to meet lol. He says the right thing and we find a way to critique it.

I have no problem with the one game at a time comment by itself, it's the idea that it's a Garrett thing that's laughable.