Schaub next Brady

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Schaub leads Falcons past Vikings

NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Aug. 20, 2004) -- Matt Schaub knows his place on the Atlanta Falcons. If he needs any hints, all he has to do his look at the locker he shares with a fellow rookie, kicker Damon Duval.

There certainly isn't a quarterback controversy in Atlanta.

Schaub threw three touchdown passes in relief of Michael Vick, leading the Falcons to a 27-24 preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings. The rookie out of Virginia completed 16 of 19 passes for 205 yards and no interceptions.

"It felt great," Schaub said. "A lot of guys put a lot into making it happen."

Roughneck

Reaction score
Nors said:
Schaub next Brady
Shouldn't we wait until he has played in at least one Regular Season game before comparing him to the Best Big-Game QB in the League today?

:rolleyes:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I pulled both Schaubs and Bradys college scouting reports. They were eerily the same. Both second day picks. Very similar player. He's picking up the NFL fast.

Vick better not get hurt, he may not get his job back:)

tiller77

Reaction score
schaub was acc player of the year his junior year. had he not gotten hurt the first game of the year and if rivers wouldn't have had such a great year, schaub should have been a first day pick.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
tiller77 said:
schaub was acc player of the year his junior year. had he not gotten hurt the first game of the year and if rivers wouldn't have had such a great year, schaub should have been a first day pick.

Al Groh Runs a good program

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Schaub leads Falcons past Vikings

NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Aug. 20, 2004) -- Matt Schaub knows his place on the Atlanta Falcons. If he needs any hints, all he has to do his look at the locker he shares with a fellow rookie, kicker Damon Duval.

There certainly isn't a quarterback controversy in Atlanta.

Schaub threw three touchdown passes in relief of Michael Vick, leading the Falcons to a 27-24 preseason victory over the Minnesota Vikings. The rookie out of Virginia completed 16 of 19 passes for 205 yards and no interceptions.

"It felt great," Schaub said. "A lot of guys put a lot into making it happen."

I like Schaub alot too...I'm convinced they are going to have a big mess later on in the year because Vick is not going to be a good QB, especially for this system...combine that with the fact the Falcons are going to be a poor team and thigs could get very interesting for the Hype Machine Vick

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Falcons-Vikings (Schaub!!!)
On Friday night in a 27-24 win over the Vikings, Atlanta rookie QB Matt Schaub played like he's delusional enough to think he can take Michael Vick's job. When reading Schaub's numbers in the box score, I couldn't tell if they were passing statistics or the act of a desperate man (16 for 19, 205 yards, 3 touchdowns, no interceptions). Kudos to the rookie, and may he start for some other team one day

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Conversations about the combine

By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Feb. 23, 2004) -- I spent a lot of time discussing combine results with coaches on Monday and the reactions they had from the young players who crossed their path this week in Indianapolis.

Most coaches and personnel people are trying to get a grip on the talent pool for the draft ASAP so they can respond to free agency in an intelligent manner. Questions like, "Is there enough depth at a position in the draft so we don't have to go out and spend the big bucks on a free agent?"

It's not just the measurable tests that weigh heavy on the minds of the evaluators, it's a number of other issues. Let's look at a few things that are going on in Indianapolis.

For coaches, more than any group, the interview becomes a valuable tool. The coach has to teach the player what to do and so often the ability to "get a feel" for the young man becomes a critical component. I asked a number of coaches who impressed them during the interview process so far. The best interview didn't mean who gave the perfectly prepared answers, but the guys who made you want to coach them. When a coach comes out of an interview and says, "I want to coach that young man on my team," then there's a fit. A large number of players did a great job during the interview process and here are a few that stood out.

I couldn't find an NFL employee that wasn't impressed with receivers Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh or Roy Williams of Texas. One coach described Fitzgerald as the most engaging interview he ever had. One GM described Williams as the whole package after he sat down with him. But everyone knows about those high-profile players.

I asked some coaches and front-office people who really helped themselves. A number of coaches were intrigued with DB Joey Thomas from Montana State. First he announced he wasn't going to work out and a few defensive back coaches told him that would be a mistake. Thomas listened to the coaches and cranked out 17 reps on the bench press. It wasn't the number of reps he did but his ability to hear what the coaches said about the importance of working out.

Two defensive backs that clearly made favorable impressions in the interview process were DeAngelo Hall of Virginia Tech and Will Poole of USC. Two defensive coordinators really liked what these young men had to say about their passion for the game. One GM said he was very impressed with the way Oregon defensive lineman Igor Olshansky sat and talked football with his head coach. He made an impression and it stood up against some of the other interviews the team had that same evening. An offensive line coach told me his impression of Alabama offensive lineman Justin Smiley had risen after he sat down with him. The word "intriguing" is how an interview with Virginia QB Matt Schaub was described. One offensive coordinator said when he left the room, "I felt like I just got done talking with Matt Hasselbeck or Pat Ramsey."

That leads me to my second point about the interview process. Making an impression is important; leaving the coach with an image of an already successful NFL player is priceless.

The combination of size, strength and good hands has made Jason Peters a top tight end prospect.
The next thing I asked some evaluators was who impressed them on the field that they weren't prepared to see do as well. Two players who were mentioned quickly and echoed by others were tight ends Ben Watson of Georgia and Jason Peters of Arkansas. Watson measured at 6-foot-3½, 258 pounds, ran a 4.51 and did 34 reps on the bench press. He caught the eye of a number of people, but not as much as Peters. Peters measured at 6-4½, weighed in at 336 pounds and ran the 40 in 4.9. Plus, people said he had soft hands. As one coach said, "He is just the kind of guy someone like Atlanta offensive line coach Alex Gibbs could make an All-Pro."

I asked a top quarterback expert where he thought Drew Henson would stack up with the draft class now. He agreed with the popular opinion that Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger would go one-two and loved his time with Philip Rivers, but he thought when the work was all done that Henson would be closer to the elite QBs than many think at this time.

The impression Manning made in one interview was that he was more laid back than his brother and that didn't hurt him one bit. On Roethlisberger, one personnel director said the workout was just OK, but it wasn't his fault. He called it "unfair" for Roethlisberger and he thought most teams in the market for a QB wouldn't be tainted by what he described as an average performance. The personnel director asked, "What would be gained by watching a guy throw two passes to receivers he's never worked with and go to the end of a line and wait his turn again?"

As for receivers, it may be easier to tell more about them and there was definitely some sentiment created for Devery Henderson from LSU. Henderson isn't even the top guy from his school (that belongs to Michael Clayton), but he has caught the eye of more than a few coaches this week. Guys like his suddenness, the ability to pull the ball off his hip and his athleticism. Lee Evans of Wisconsin ran fast (4.4), but some question his ability to get in and out of breaks, and the word I got is they are heading to Wisconsin's Pro Day to see Evans run routes. This is a goal teams have as they leave the combine. All the good evaluators get as many questions answered as possible in Indianapolis and narrow the list of things still left to be done before the Pro Days. Evans has established that he's healthy after multiple knee surgeries and now it's his route running that needs a final check, according to one coach.

One topic unrelated to the combine process but surely one that most wanted to talk about was the notion that at least one draft-eligible player was rumored to be charging agents to make their presentation about why they were the right representation for the young man. He was attaching a $2,500 tag to meet with him. He apparently had picked five agents to present. Coaches were torn between finding it humorous in one sense and possibly an indication of what the young man's motivations really are.

Finally, the consensus is that the combine process is a success this year and coaches like the schedule with some break time between the workouts and the interviews. The men I spoke with said they and the athletes aren't so tired during the interviews that they are getting more out of what one coach calls the most important job interview of their lives, and the NFL doesn't even charge them to take it. How nice and old fashioned of them!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Schaub leads Atlanta to second straight win

NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Aug. 28, 2004) -- The hamstring injury that kept Michael Vick out of this preseason game might not have kept him out of a regular-season game.

Even so, what once was a minor injury downplayed by Vick and Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora is becoming a more pressing concern even though Vick's backup continues to excel.

Rookie Matt Schaub threw three touchdown passes for the second straight week, leading the Falcons past the Cincinnati Bengals and their young quarterback, Carson Palmer, 37-10.

Vick was held out after aggravating the injury during pregame warmups.

"It's been bothering me for a while, and that's why I think they made the decision to sit me down," Vick said. "I don't want to tweak it again and have to worry about this on a week-to-week basis."

Added Mora: "We feel having a healthy Michael Vick going into the regular season is the way to go."

"He's like one of those great sprinters or a fine race car. If they are not perfectly tweaked there is no sense in putting them out on the track, especially if it's a game that has nothing to do with the standings or with the regular season," Mora said.

For the second straight week, Schaub was a winning backup plan, throwing touchdown passes to Alge Crumpler, Peerless Price and Dez White.

Guiding the Falcons to a 27-7 halftime lead, Schaub completed 14 of 20 passes for 214 yards and three touchdowns.

Rookie Matt Schaub looked like a veteran against the Bengals.
"He's taken another step," Mora said. "He can start a game and be productive."

Schaub, a rookie from Virginia, completed his first six passes, but said he wasn't satisfied with his effort.

"There are still some things I need to clean up, and I'm going to work this week to clean those things up," Schaub said.

Playing behind Vick in last week's 27-24 preseason win over Minnesota, Schaub passed for 205 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions, but he didn't expect to see as much playing time Saturday night.

"Our offense has done a great job, and that's how we've got to play as a team," Mora said. "And that's what it's all about, it's a team sport no matter who's pulling the trigger and who's catching the ball."

Vick is only 5 of 9 for 35 yards in limited preseason action. The Falcons (2-1) play their final preseason game at Washington on Friday night.

Vick first strained the hamstring on Aug. 5, and he irritated the injury against Minnesota. He admitted it was difficult to just watch Saturday night's win, when the offense was so successful, compiling 364 yards with no turnovers.

Palmer completed 12 of 26 passes for 171 yards with one interception.

"They came after us," Palmer said of the Falcons. "They didn't do anything spectacular. They just won. On our part, it was a lack of execution and not playing hard enough while we were out there."

Schaub led the Falcons on a four-play, 83-yard touchdown drive on their opening possession. Schaub passed for 36 yards to Crumpler to open the drive and finished with an 18-yard TD pass to White.

"It didn't matter," said Bengals linebacker Kevin Hardy of the decision to hold out Vick. "They made the plays, and it didn't matter if it was Vick or Schaub or whoever."

The Bengals' first possession ended when safety Bryan Scott sacked Palmer, forcing a fumble that set up a Falcons field goal.

Palmer directed an 87-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter. The big play was a 52-yard completion to T.J. Houshmandzadeh that set up a 2-yard touchdown run by Rudi Johnson.

Following Jay Feely's second field goal, the Falcons pushed the lead to 20-7 when Schaub connected with Crumpler on a 14-yard pass. Crumpler knocked cornerback Tory James backward at the goal line.

Crumpler's touchdown was set up when Aaron Beasley intercepted Palmer's pass and returned the interception 32 yards to the Bengals 16.

Schaub's third scoring pass was a 53-yarder to Price, who beat James for a 27-7 halftime lead.

T.J. Duckett scored on a 6-yard run early in the third quarter, pushing the Falcons' lead to 34-7. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham and Atlanta's Damon Duval traded field goals to end the scoring. Duval's 29-yard field goal came after a lost fumble by Bengals quarterback Jon Kitna.

Game notes
Falcons rookie cornerback DeAngelo Hall left in the first half with a left hip injury. ... The Bengals lost WR Patrick Johnson to a hand injury in the second period. ... Falcons RB Warrick Dunn walked off slowly with a right leg strain in the second period after rushing for 53 yards on nine carries. "I don't think it's anything," Mora said.

Schaub on Fire! 14-20 3 TD's, 200 yards and 27 points at half!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Schaub leads Atlanta to second straight win

NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Aug. 28, 2004) -- The hamstring injury that kept Michael Vick out of this preseason game might not have kept him out of a regular-season game.

Even so, what once was a minor injury downplayed by Vick and Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora is becoming a more pressing concern even though Vick's backup continues to excel.

Rookie Matt Schaub threw three touchdown passes for the second straight week, leading the Falcons past the Cincinnati Bengals and their young quarterback, Carson Palmer, 37-10.

Vick was held out after aggravating the injury during pregame warmups.

"It's been bothering me for a while, and that's why I think they made the decision to sit me down," Vick said. "I don't want to tweak it again and have to worry about this on a week-to-week basis."

Added Mora: "We feel having a healthy Michael Vick going into the regular season is the way to go."

"He's like one of those great sprinters or a fine race car. If they are not perfectly tweaked there is no sense in putting them out on the track, especially if it's a game that has nothing to do with the standings or with the regular season," Mora said.

For the second straight week, Schaub was a winning backup plan, throwing touchdown passes to Alge Crumpler, Peerless Price and Dez White.

Guiding the Falcons to a 27-7 halftime lead, Schaub completed 14 of 20 passes for 214 yards and three touchdowns.

Rookie Matt Schaub looked like a veteran against the Bengals.
"He's taken another step," Mora said. "He can start a game and be productive."

Schaub, a rookie from Virginia, completed his first six passes, but said he wasn't satisfied with his effort.

"There are still some things I need to clean up, and I'm going to work this week to clean those things up," Schaub said.

Playing behind Vick in last week's 27-24 preseason win over Minnesota, Schaub passed for 205 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions, but he didn't expect to see as much playing time Saturday night.

"Our offense has done a great job, and that's how we've got to play as a team," Mora said. "And that's what it's all about, it's a team sport no matter who's pulling the trigger and who's catching the ball."

Vick is only 5 of 9 for 35 yards in limited preseason action. The Falcons (2-1) play their final preseason game at Washington on Friday night.

Vick first strained the hamstring on Aug. 5, and he irritated the injury against Minnesota. He admitted it was difficult to just watch Saturday night's win, when the offense was so successful, compiling 364 yards with no turnovers.

Palmer completed 12 of 26 passes for 171 yards with one interception.

"They came after us," Palmer said of the Falcons. "They didn't do anything spectacular. They just won. On our part, it was a lack of execution and not playing hard enough while we were out there."

Schaub led the Falcons on a four-play, 83-yard touchdown drive on their opening possession. Schaub passed for 36 yards to Crumpler to open the drive and finished with an 18-yard TD pass to White.

"It didn't matter," said Bengals linebacker Kevin Hardy of the decision to hold out Vick. "They made the plays, and it didn't matter if it was Vick or Schaub or whoever."

The Bengals' first possession ended when safety Bryan Scott sacked Palmer, forcing a fumble that set up a Falcons field goal.

Palmer directed an 87-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter. The big play was a 52-yard completion to T.J. Houshmandzadeh that set up a 2-yard touchdown run by Rudi Johnson.

Following Jay Feely's second field goal, the Falcons pushed the lead to 20-7 when Schaub connected with Crumpler on a 14-yard pass. Crumpler knocked cornerback Tory James backward at the goal line.

Crumpler's touchdown was set up when Aaron Beasley intercepted Palmer's pass and returned the interception 32 yards to the Bengals 16.

Schaub's third scoring pass was a 53-yarder to Price, who beat James for a 27-7 halftime lead.

T.J. Duckett scored on a 6-yard run early in the third quarter, pushing the Falcons' lead to 34-7. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham and Atlanta's Damon Duval traded field goals to end the scoring. Duval's 29-yard field goal came after a lost fumble by Bengals quarterback Jon Kitna.

Game notes
Falcons rookie cornerback DeAngelo Hall left in the first half with a left hip injury. ... The Bengals lost WR Patrick Johnson to a hand injury in the second period. ... Falcons RB Warrick Dunn walked off slowly with a right leg strain in the second period after rushing for 53 yards on nine carries. "I don't think it's anything," Mora said.

Schaub on Fire! 14-20 3 TD's, 200 yards and 27 points at half!

I'm telling you the nightmare that idiot Falcon owner Arthur Blank has is waiting to happen...Vick is going to be a bust as a QB, and now there's a legit QB prospect behind him...

David