Schefter: And this from Detroit: Matt Stafford Out

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But Stafford will get the benefit of the doubt of never having a good team around him and it being the Lions. Yet at the sa me time Dak not winning a playoff game due to being on a inferior team or being surrounded by an inferior roster would be the exact thing that his critics would use to prove that diminish and downplay his talents as a QB. As I said multiple teams there's a double standard when it comes to judging Dak vs QBs.

If a QB they happen to favor or like struggles with less talent then they'll insist that the QB deserves a chance with a team that has better players. They'll insist that the QB is still elite but only needs better players to assist him in becoming a playoff/Superbowl caliber QB.

But when it comes to Dak then his critics will say "See, we told you that he's no good because he can't win unless he has a great roster around him."
Stafford has had some tools to work with. he just could never get it done....Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Golladay, Pettigrew, Ebron.....so the cupboard hasn't been empty...but I am sure someone will mention Martin in defense of Stafford...Stafford never had Martin....

Big D

Reaction score
I done with trying to be the lions. First Linehan and Marinelli, now this? :facepalm:

csirl

Reaction score
‘Becoming elite?’ He has had 5 years and and offensive weapons galore. Is he on the 10-year plan to elite? Did the injury set his path to elite back a few years?

It's a process.......

Where have we heard that before?

csirl

Reaction score
I'm not interested in trading for a cheaper OLDER player who isnt better than our starter and if he is uts BARELY. Just so we can be looking stupid looking for a WB in a year or 2

In fairness, Stafford is one of the elite QBs - a lot more skill than Prescott. Not his fault he's with Detroit.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Depends on what our goal is

If it is to “be relevant “ then yeah let’s make Dak happy and move on

if we want to win a SB or 2 then paying Dak elite QB money will hamstring us severely. Just look at Rams and Eagles . Dak needs a great OL and a great defense to get there

Dak will make way way way more as the starting QB of the Cowboys than he will anywhere else in endorsements and opportunities etc over his lifetime . Way more

I understand that this is not something we can reasonably expect a 27 year old signing his first contract to truly understand so I’m not expecting it but this is where Jerry, those around him and his agent should come in but of course they won’t

JMO
With Dak leading the current offense (once healthy), along with the improved ST (assuming Fassel stays), I think all that's needed is a much improved defense, and how many QBs can win it all without a very good defense?

visionary

Reaction score
With Dak leading the current offense (once healthy), along with the improved ST (assuming Fassel stays), I think all that's needed is a much improved defense, and how many QBs can win it all without a very good defense?

OL is breaking down
Defense is non existent

these will require significant infusion of talent. Relying only on the draft will not work because by the time those guys get up to speed it will be 2-3 years. By then the WRs will need to be paid and Daks new contract coming up. This means significant FA signings which we won’t have money for

and round and round we go into mediocrity

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In fairness, Stafford is one of the elite QBs - a lot more skill than Prescott. Not his fault he's with Detroit.
how is stafford elite exactly? he has a career 70-90 record I believe and is a dismal 7-52 against teams with a winning record and 0-3 in the playoffs (3 out of 10 years in the playoffs)....how is he exactly more skilled?

and is it Dak's fault for being in Dallas? I mean have you seen the cowboys team since 2005!? is it really much better than Detroit..

really....you just tried to make that comparison!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
for this defense to improve we need to draft better...if we can't fix our defensive draft problems, 180M of cap space isn't going to fix it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
OL is breaking down
Defense is non existent

these will require significant infusion of talent. Relying only on the draft will not work because by the time those guys get up to speed it will be 2-3 years. By then the WRs will need to be paid and Daks new contract coming up. This means significant FA signings which we won’t have money for

and round and round we go into mediocrity
and you can't fix it in FA. it doesn't work. you may sign a player here or there, but its not the way to go. hardly anyone worth their money is going to hit FA as teams will keep their stars....FAs are over priced.....and either they are old, head cases, injured.....or you can trade and pay money, which is a double whammy ala cooper, lost a draft pick and pay on top of it.

JayFord

Reaction score
Stafford has the same issues that people cant stand Dak for

hes been in the league since 2009 and has 0 playoff wins and has only been to the playoffs 3 times even though Dak has won a playoff game......and Stafford has a history of not beating winning teams sometimg fans have Crushed Dak for

so im not seeing why we would react better to Stafford

Dak is the QB of the Cowboys but I would take stafford as a backup but theres no way Stafford should be backing up anyone

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Stafford has the same issues that people cant stand Dak for

hes been in the league since 2009 and has 0 playoff wins and has only been to the playoffs 3 times even though Dak has won a playoff game......and Stafford has a history of not beating winning teams sometimg fans have Crushed Dak for

so im not seeing why we would react better to Stafford

Dak is the QB of the Cowboys but I would take stafford as a backup but theres no way Stafford should be backing up anyone
Stafford didn’t replace Romo.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yes, weapons galore. Let's not forget the likes of Cole Beasley, Deontoe Thompson, Allen Hurns, 35 yr old Jason Witten, injured Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, and so on. Yup, we've been stacked on offense for Dak's entire career.

You seemed to have conveniently forgot 4 really, really good OL and a RB. Sorry, don't try to play the Dak is a victim of the cupboard being bare on offense. Dak had plenty on offense to work with during his 5 years. Plenty. More than enough.

visionary

Reaction score
and you can't fix it in FA. it doesn't work. you may sign a player here or there, but its not the way to go. hardly anyone worth their money is going to hit FA as teams will keep their stars....FAs are over priced.....and either they are old, head cases, injured.....or you can trade and pay money, which is a double whammy ala cooper, lost a draft pick and pay on top of it.

LOL
every single successful team in the post season (except those that have had top 10 picks for a decade) have made significant signings in FA

these are not your fathers NFL days anymore. You HAVE to make good draft picks but you also HAVE TO make significant acquisitions in FA. That “player here or there” has to an impact player not from the trash heap

the window is 2-3 years unless you have an elite QB. We don’t

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
I think you're wrong about who they are. Plenty of us Romo fans love Dak. Not everybody shares your either/or scorched earth way of looking at life. Some people just don't like Dak. I have no clue as to why they're so adamant about it, but that's their problem.
I said romo sexuals not fans.

I personally think romo had HOF level talent and should have went to the Texans (great defense and weapons at the time) after 2016 to have one more shot at a ring like Peyton Manning.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Stafford was any good, he would have beaten us in the 2014 playoff game in Dallas. He had the better defense and wide receiver but he fumbles the ball away at the end of the game. I have rewatched that game numerous times and the Lions kicked are butts up and down the field. Their defensive line took it too Tyron, Martin, and Frederick. Stafford made a name for himself with two big comebacks against us in the prior two seasons. Then he laid in egg in his prime. Hard pass.
That's his whole career but you can't tell these people that....they see he has a "big arm" and get infatuated with it....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Imagine the Detroit Lions saying they dont' want a guy.....and here comes Cowboy fans wanting the trash they don't want lol......Andy Dalton all over again lol....

Gaede

Reaction score
You seemed to have conveniently forgot 4 really, really good OL and a RB. Sorry, don't try to play the Dak is a victim of the cupboard being bare on offense. Dak had plenty on offense to work with during his 5 years. Plenty. More than enough.

He absolutely was the victim of a bare cupboard, as well as an outdated, predictable offensive system that wasn't even good enough for college. Our WRs were so bad we had to trade a 1 midseason. Do you remember that?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
As many Dak defenders will claim, one player doesn't make a team and Detroit has never had a really good defense.
Stafford still isn't better than Dak. Trying to say so proves it's personal dislike and nothing to do with actual football talent

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Stafford still isn't better than Dak. Trying to say so proves it's personal dislike and nothing to do with actual football talent

How much difference is the key. Is the difference in talent worth $20M? On a scale of 1-100, where is Dak and where is Stafford? How much is the team better with Stafford at $20M and an additional $20M worth of players on defense vs Dak at $40M?