Twitter: Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Cooper before the start of new league year

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm guessing he will have a min 4-5 teams interested
sure he will, but he will have zero teams interested in giving him 18 plus million per season. Just because teams will be interested doesnt mean this isnt the right move for the Cowboys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
With no Amari, a hurt Gallup and a rookie, there’s no way the receiving corp is as good. Add to that the defense will lose pieces also and talent wise they just won’t be as good.

Perhaps this allows them to be more aggressive in 2023 and sell Payton that he can drive a new car with lots of room for upgrades but 2022 has no chance to do anything but win the East and be 1 and done and picking 20th
Nobody is saying the receiving group has to be as good.

But the team has to make cuts somewhere..a lot of them. Dallas can't have it all and we were loaded at WR (and WR is one of the easiest positions to fill) and Cooper was making 20 mil,
so he got chosen.

What we lose is half the equation
We still don't know what we will ADD this year thru the draft and free agency.

I'm not saying it will be better or worse, but the roster isn't close to being complete.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Few issues with trading him
***they have a trading partner who Coop would agree
***that partner would have to work out new contract terms coz they are not paying him $20M
*** all this has to happen by March 21, otherwise, the Cowboys are on the hook for his 2022 $20M salary
***keep in mind they can't just trade him to a team he doesn't like UNLESS that team is willing take his contract w/o restructuring. Let's say the Jags were willing to trade but and pay him $17-18M. It can't happen unless Coop agree otherwise it kills the trade.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
We had better be able to rush for 200 yds a game next season.

Please... we will now keep Gallup and Wilson and we will be fine. Wilson showed he can flat play, and there has never been any doubt about Gallup.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Business decisions always have to be made. I like Cooper, but I dont like his salary.

I do like getting rid of Cooper to Keep Wilson and Gallup. It is an easy decision to me.

Those of you slamming Jerry and Stephen for not getting picks for cooper need to wake up. No doubt they have tried, but nobody is trading for a guy that had 800 yards last year that is due 20 million.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
sure he will, but he will have zero teams interested in giving him 18 plus million per season. Just because teams will be interested doesnt mean this isnt the right move for the Cowboys.

+1 ....remember they have to do something by March 21, otherwise his 2022 salary is guaranteed

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lamb, Gallup, Wilson, Turner, draft pick and/or trade—sounds like a pretty good group to me. Cooper sounds disgruntled now, so how much would we actually be missing?
I agree.
Dallas was stacked at WR. So much so that it almost diluted individuals
It would help if Gallup comes back fully healthy, as they expect him to.

fivetwos

Reaction score
No question he not getting $20M per again. I'm guessing $15-17M
Well the 20 million is apparently a real problem for teams.

I would have thought a team may give up a third for him since there's no bonus cash involved but guess not.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He was playing too heavy at 220-225 lbs.Lost some zip in his movements.Needs to be around 210.

I am constantly amazed by how many people on this site don't pay attention to the season. Cooper missed two games due to Covid and played limited snaps in two games after coming back because of respiratory issues associated with Covid. Meaning he accomplished what he did essentially in 13 games.. Now there is a valid argument to be made that basically washing out 4 games because his arse refused to be vaccinated pissed Jerry off and THAT could be driving the sentiment to jettison him. And to that argument I would offer little opposition.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Can you please explain how throwing the ball 600 times is now considered to be "bus driving"?
In all seriousness, how many of those throws were actually downfield?He seemed hesitant, especially the 2nd half of the season to throw anything other than check downs to RB’s or Dalton.Pass rush at times was a factor,but their were downfield openings.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Nobody is saying the receiving group has to be as good.

But the team has to make cuts somewhere..a lot of them. Dallas can't have it all and we were loaded at WR (and WR is one of the easiest positions to fill) and Cooper was making 20 mil,
so he got chosen.

What we lose is half the equation
We still don't know what we will ADD this year thru the draft and free agency.

I'm not saying it will be better or worse, but the roster isn't close to being complete.
They aren’t going to add in free agency and draft picks day 1 rarely are ready to contribute meaningfully. Parsons is an exception.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I am constantly amazed by how many people on this site don't pay attention to the season. Cooper missed two games due to Covid and played limited snaps in two games after coming back because of respiratory issues associated with Covid. Meaning he accomplished what he did essentially in 13 games.. Now there is a valid argument to be made that basically washing out 4 games because his arse refused to be vaccinated pissed Jerry off and THAT could be driving the sentiment to jettison him. And to that argument I would offer little opposition.
That I think is a big driver they’re not allowed to vocalize. Irvin was irate about this and you know he got in Jerry’s ear

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Why would cooper restructure for less money when he can test a FA market that will highly covet his services? You need to think about it from all angles.
Why do you think a restructure means less money? They usually restructure by converting all or part of the base salary to bonus money and paying him up front. Since bonus money is spread out over the life of the contract, then salary cap goes down this year, but comes up in the future. Money actually paid all stays the same.

This works fine when the salary cap goes up for say huge television contracts........... but gets jacked when the salary cap goes down.

I think the biggest issue is the Covid one and Jerry's ego, not the ability to keep or cut Coop based on his play.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Come to think of it, that happened around the same time McGovern replaced Williams and Biadasz forgot how to be serviceable.

Tyron was hobbled. Moore became predictable one dimensional.

Cooper was essentially gone also.

Not an excuse as I see it, but probably a bit much to overcome.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sure they would. The guarantee is just about up, and he would willingly renegotiate for more guaranteed. He was 17 AAV the last two years, and thats probably what he would be if he renegotiated. He is very tradeable. Cutting him would be incredibly stupid and horrible asset management
67foci.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
This forum is hilarious.

1. Keep a high salaried, somewhat underperforming player.....FORUM: Idiot GM!, "we like our guys" whaaaaa
  2. Cut a high salaried somewhat underperforming player....FORUM: Idiot GM!, "how do we replace him"....whaaaaa

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
In all seriousness, how many of those throws were actually downfield?He seemed hesitant, especially the 2nd half of the season to throw anything other than check downs to RB’s or Dalton.Pass rush at times was a factor,but their were downfield openings.

There might have been some.. but not enough.. After the Denver game teams started playing the Cowboys to keep everything short.. Lots of deep safeties and even linebackers dropping deep. The theory being that we didn't have anyone who could consistently make them pay in the open field after the ball was dumped short. For the most part they were proven correct. Lamb has some nice moves after the catch but he's still not strong enough to break a lot of tackles once a grown man has hold of him. Cooper played too heavy and lost his YAC ability. Schultz never had any.. and Jarwin stayed hurt as did Gallup. The only people who really did any damage after the catch were Wilson and Turner.. whom everybody thinks of as JAGs. Because they kinda are. We also think Pollard could do some thangs out in the pattern but "Yard are Yards" refused to call his number very often. Instead we had Zeke on one leg lined up wide on many a play. Go figure..