Twitter: Schefter: Mike McCarthy interviewing for Browns HC job Thursday and Giants Friday

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I am not getting your logic. You’re saying that people would be questioning “why are we not interviewing???” compared to the current question of why hasn’t Garrett been fired yet.

I think the people that you say “are going nuts would rather have the comfort of knowing that we are moving on from Garrertt then being antsy about when an interview is going to happen.
only really talking about people who have already resigned themselves for garrett coming back as head coach.or GM. or whatever else feeds their own fears and frustrations.

what i am saying is - IF JONES wanted say the OC from the ravens, well he can't talk to him today anyway so what good would it do to fire garrett TODAY *other* than it's done and people can then move on to the next phase. hiring someone else.

now if garrett were fired already and the coach we wanted wasn't available to interview just yet, then yes. the people in a tizzy now would be in a tizzy cause jones isn't interviewing anyone. WAGUAGH WE'RE NOT INTERVIEWING NOW WHY NOT and make up some crap to keep their fears alive and well in that scenario.

i certainly get the frustrations. i'm there too. but i'm not going to sit and pretend everything i wouldn't want to happen is now in play so i can be mad about things of my own creation and pretend it's from jones n company.

glimmerman

Reaction score
only really talking about people who have already resigned themselves for garrett coming back as head coach.or GM. or whatever else feeds their own fears and frustrations.

what i am saying is - IF JONES wanted say the OC from the ravens, well he can't talk to him today anyway so what good would it do to fire garrett TODAY *other* than it's done and people can then move on to the next phase. hiring someone else.

now if garrett were fired already and the coach we wanted wasn't available to interview just yet, then yes. the people in a tizzy now would be in a tizzy cause jones isn't interviewing anyone. WAGUAGH WE'RE NOT INTERVIEWING NOW WHY NOT and make up some crap to keep their fears alive and well in that scenario.

i certainly get the frustrations. i'm there too. but i'm not going to sit and pretend everything i wouldn't want to happen is now in play so i can be mad about things of my own creation and pretend it's from jones n company.
The sooner he fires JG the sooner he could interview for jobs. He certainly don’t have to do anything till the 14th when his contract is up. Makes me think maybe a FO job. All the meetings maybe going over the new job. Trying to stay positive about it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
The sooner he fires JG the sooner he could interview for jobs. He certainly don’t have to do anything till the 14th when his contract is up. Makes me think maybe a FO job. All the meetings maybe going over the new job. Trying to stay positive about it.
correct.

however if he wants to interview a still active coach, he couldn't now could he? ergo, firing jason today won't change he can't interview tomorrow, now would it?

and if we were in THAT scenario then yes, people would be whining that we're not interviewing someone TODAY. why? cause that set of people whine anyway, doesn't really matter why or about what.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
correct.

however if he wants to interview a still active coach, he couldn't now could he? ergo, firing jason today won't change he can't interview tomorrow, now would it?

and if we were in THAT scenario then yes, people would be whining that we're not interviewing someone TODAY. why? cause that set of people whine anyway, doesn't really matter why or about what.

Actually, he could. If that team has a bye week during the playoffs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nterviews-with-mike-mccarthy-wink-martindale/

The Giants will be interviewing Martindale this week.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he is firing or moving JG to the FO then he has to know who he wants and has been in contact. Not sure who. But if he keeps JG he is fooling himself.

Glim......lets' revisit Linehan firing/replacement.
** End of the season Jason announces at his presser that the expects ALL his coaches to return for 2019 season
** Stephen Jones follows that up with a press release that NO decision has been made regarding coaching staff.
** Every Tom, Dick and Harry knew Linehan was likely out, just a matter of when, but he was fired.
** Fans/media spent the next what week or so speculating his potential replacement
** We're also awaiting word on whether or Garrett would get an extension or spend 2019 as a lame-duck coach

** Jerry and Stephen, after leaving fans/media to stew for couple weeks, finally announced there would no extension for Garrett nor an outside replacement for Linehan. Meaning Garrett would either be his own OC or he'd have to find one on staff.

The point here is Jerry and Stephen have notoriously waited until the last min to address administrative or personnel issues and even worst, it's like they have NO plan, as if the issues JUST hit them in the face. Hell, there handling of personnel players' issues are no different. How many times seen player or on-field issue has to fall apart before they finally address it ( WR issue and trading for Cooper to replace Dez is one example )

So again, it's not a reach for fans/media to be frustrated by what they/we are seeing here with Garrett and the handling of his firing. I mean how fair is to have what 12-15 assistant coaches sitting on ice to see what going to happen. The bottom line as the past has shown, planning and reality are two words they've always struggled with and this just another example.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
correct.

and if we were in THAT scenario then yes, people would be whining that we're not interviewing someone TODAY. why? cause that set of people whine anyway, doesn't really matter why or about what.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why this is upsetting you, their handling of this is confusing not a small minority but large majority nationally. It's not just fans but national media also. Bottom line, I think there's a feeling we/Cowboys can't begin the process of hiring a new until we there's a decision on the current one. The fact Jerry is STILL at square one is the confusion/frustration we see.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I stopped getting upset at the cowboys antics long ago. how the fans react as well. so no. not upset. just comical how people can be.

Rayman70

Reaction score
just a competent HC and DC/OC is needed. BTW...Bill Callahan is on the market again. GO GET HIM!! Like Marc Columbo, but we know what Bill can do.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Not a McCarthy fan so that’s fine. As others noted, sounds like Stephen and Jerry have reached out to who they want.

While they are being overly dramatic about all this, the only real downside is making sure the new HC has access to the staff he wants, the quality guys will start going quick as the HCs finalize themselves.