Schefter: Rams will take Bradford

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
I think he'll be really good, but will need time to learn to read defenses, etc. He certainly has all the tools. I really don't think the Commanders like Clausen, so it looks like if we draft a QB it will be in the second round.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2010/2/25/1326699/espns-adam-schefter-says-rams-will

One caveat: "Let me say this, I have not spoken to the Rams about it at all. I don't need to. I have spoken to enough other people and have heard enough other things that tell me there is no way the St. Louis Rams will not wind up taking Sam Bradford."

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I first heard this on Mike & Mike this morning, and my initial reaction that the Rams were trying to get the Commanders to trade up.

In other words, I think they're bluffing.

Woods

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3288047 said:
I first heard this on Mike & Mike this morning, and my initial reaction that the Rams were trying to get the Commanders to trade up.

In other words, I think they're bluffing.

That's what I was thinking as well. :laugh2:

I hope the Rams would demand the Commanders' 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year, and 1st next year. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The problem with the trade up theory is the Commanders cannot get ahead of the Rams. So if it is a bluff then it is a bad one. It would be smarter to simply make them a trade offer.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I told everyone they would take a QB. My logic was they just took a DT a few years ago in the top 10. And just took a DE in the top 5 a few years ago. They need to get a QB now.

Right or wrong, I feel they have to take a shot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dang it I wanted Washington to select the future bust that is Sam Bradford.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Don't worry cause they could still take the future bust that is Jimmy "The Pickle" Clausen.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3288121 said:
The problem with the trade up theory is the Commanders cannot get ahead of the Rams. So if it is a bluff then it is a bad one. It would be smarter to simply make them a trade offer.

I meant enduce the Commanders to trade up to the Rams #1 pick, and have the Commanders give up picks and players.

I guess I should have clarified . . . or you should have finished your coffee first. ;)

Gaede

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3288219 said:
Don't worry cause they could still take the future bust that is Jimmy "The Pickle" Clausen.

I'd love that too. Just like the good old days with Pat Ramsey

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3288219 said:

Clausen at least has the upside unlike Bradford.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CATCH17;3288129 said:
Dang it I wanted Washington to select the future bust that is Sam Bradford.

Why don't you like Bradford? Other than being from Zero U, I mean. ;)

I think he's going to be really good as long as his shoulder is okay. The guy has tremendous accuracy, and that's one of the most important things for a pro QB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Devaney takes a playful jab at "Dr. Schefter"

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2010 12:01 PM ET
One of the hot topics at the Scouting Combine has become the bold proclamation from ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Rams will draft quarterback Sam Bradford with the first overall selection on April 22.

So Rams G.M. Billy Devaney was asked about the situation on Friday, and he had a little fun with the topic.

"That took a lot of pressure off of us right away because Dr. Schefter cleared him medically," Devaney said, via our own Gregg Rosenthal, who has taken his shine box to Indy for the weekend. "We feel really good about the health status of Sam Bradford with Dr. Schefter giving him a clean bill of health and guaranteeing our pick. So we're on to the second round."

Though some might think it's in the Rams' interests to show interest in Bradford in the hopes of perhaps finagling a trade out of the top spot with one of the other quarterback-needy teams, there's another important angle to keep in mind here.

If the Rams really want Bradford, they might need to act like they don't.

The Rams surely would like to get the top pick under contract before calling out his name on April 22. If Bradford thinks he's definitely the guy, Bradford's agent will want even more money.

So the best move is to keep everyone guessing -- media, other teams, and most importantly the Bradford camp.

That said, Schefter might be onto something with the Sam-to-St.-Louis theory. Our pal Lance Zierlein of KGOW in Houston has been touting the pick for at least a month, and Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com has recently made the case for Bradford in blue and gold, too.

Also, a league source says that Schefter and the others "very well could be right." Many viewed Bradford as the best player in the 2009 draft, and his shoulder injury isn't nearly as bad as Drew Brees' from four years ago.

Said the source: "If [Bradford] gets by the doctors [at the Combine] then he very well could be good to go. The medical staffs will know the stability of the shoulder [Friday] but I'm sure some teams will order an MRI and the result of that might not be known for a few days. St. Louis does not have a quarterback, so with the value of the position being what it is, a clean bill of health could very well equal the first pick."

So stay tuned. Bradford very well could be the first overall pick. Unless he isn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3288299 said:
Why don't you like Bradford? Other than being from Zero U, I mean. ;)

I think he's going to be really good as long as his shoulder is okay. The guy has tremendous accuracy, and that's one of the most important things for a pro QB.

I hate OU players as most of you know but I give them credit where credit is due when it comes to the draft. Just like the other day when I said Roy Williams is the best college safety of all time.

With that said.

Yes he was accurate... But he was accurate behind one of the better pass protecting olines of all time and in a conference that played 0 defense.

The guy had alllll day to throw at times.

He doesn't have a big arm, hes an ok athlete at best, and he comes from a spread offense with a lot of the passes pre determined without ever making a read.

His 2 biggest strengths are his height, and his accuracy.

I just cant say how accurate he truly is because I believe any Division 1 QB would've been accurate in that situation of pitch and catch football.

On top of that he hurt his throwing shoulder twice.

I hope he finds his way to Washington because he screams bust imo.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hmm. I just found that even against the better defenses like Texas, the WR could be running, say, a slant pattern... And even with the DB all over him, Bradford would put the ball right on his hip in the perfect spot.

I wish I'd seen more of Clausen because I know some people really like him. I'm tempted to think he's overrated, but I haven't seen enough of him to really say.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3288343 said:
Hmm. I just found that even against the better defenses like Texas, the WR could be running, say, a slant pattern... And even with the DB all over him, Bradford would put the ball right on his hip in the perfect spot.

I wish I'd seen more of Clausen because I know some people really like him. I'm tempted to think he's overrated, but I haven't seen enough of him to really say.

Yeah a lot of people on here thought Sanchez would be overrated too.

I thought he would be good but he exceeded my expectation for a rookie.

I in now way though Pete Caroll was just being selfish by saying he needed another year. At the time I thought he truly needed it.

Anyways even the "tough" Texas defense bradford went against wasn't that great. They had a ton of inexperience on that defense and were much better later in the year than when they played OU.

I predict bust on Bradford. I just dont see him being able to make quick decisions that aren't pre determined by his coaches.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3288343 said:

Clausen does throw a pretty deep ball, and he seems to be pretty mobile. He's not the threat to throw on the run that Romo is, but he's pretty fair.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Clausen already knows what its like to have no defense and no offensive line so he has that part down already. Add that he spent the last third of the season with a bad turf toe and still completed almost 70% of his passes, in mostly very close games that went down to the last minute so it was not garbage time, and its hard to see where the criticisms come from. I hear this "he had no signature wins" BS; ok just like with Romo, what can you do when your D gives up points late after you get them the lead, and your O line blows it by lousy blocking and penalties. But its all Romo's fault.