Schmidt/WV Fullback

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
I dont like talking about the draft while we are in the middle of the season but....

that kid from West Virginia looks like a beast at Full Back!!!!!

he looks intense, wears a frickin mohawk, has broken 10 face masks this season

looks to have good hands for a FB

6'2" 260lbs

and is a Sr

IMO, he would be a good draft pick for any team

imagine him and Barber as our backfield!!!!!!

opposing defenses would be worn down by halftime!!!!!!

does anybody know where this kid is predicted to go in the draft, what round?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
footballsfuture.com says he's a day 2 pick. Its conceivable to get both Slaton and him.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
There are several interesting FB prospects this year. Jorvorskie Lane from A&M, Peyton Hillis from Ark and Schmitt. They should all be in that late day 1 early day 2 area.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Schimdt is by far my favorite fullback prospect. I've only watched about five or six of his games, but there really isn't need to watch more than a few to be impressed by this kid. He could feasibly end up as an H-back or a fullback in the NFL. He got skills to pay the bills.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking he'll go far earlier in the draft than we'd even contemplate taking a fullback.

tvooz

Reaction score
we drafted anderson this year and already have hoyte... who would you like to cut?

sago1

Reaction score
I'm concerned about Hoyte's injury. Apparently he'll need surgery in the offseason and wonder if he will have the same problem which Moose faced and which eventually lead to his retirement.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
torrescatch22;1771096 said:
I dont like talking about the draft while we are in the middle of the season but....

6'2" 260lbs

and is a Sr

Haven't seen all of them play, but the one I have has impressed me.

Arkansas' Peyton Hillis is not only a solid blocker, but can carry the ball and is a real threat as a receiver.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
torrescatch22;1771096 said:

6'2" 260lbs

and is a Sr

He is by far, my favorite FB in this Draft class.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia

Name: Owen Schmitt
College: West Virginia Number: 35
Height: 6-2 Weight: 250
Position: FB Pos2: RB
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2008
40 Time: 4.73 40 Low: 4.59 40 High: 4.87
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
Rated number 2 out of 73 FB's 162 / 2328 TOTAL

Combine Results Pro Day Results
Combine Invite:
Height: 6021
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:
Wonderlic:
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Dates:
Height: 6021
Weight: 250
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Draft Scout Snapshot: 13 GP; 11 GS; Rush: 65-351-5.4-7; Rec: 12-91-7.6-1; KR: 1-14-14-0 in '06. 12 GP; 0 GS; Rush: 48-380-7.9-2; Rec: 8-76-9.5-0; KR: 1-20-20-0 in '05. Did not see varsity action in '04. Transferred to WVU from Wisconsin-River Falls. Schmitt was an all-conference running back at Division III Wisconsin-River Falls in 2003, rushing for a team-best 1,063 yards and scoring five touchdowns his freshman season.

Overview

Teams looking for versatile fullbacks capable of changing games with their running and receiving ability have options with Furman's Jerome Felton and Arkansas' Peyton Hillis. For teams looking for a traditional human sledgehammer at fullback, Schmitt promises to be among the draft's top-rated lead blockers. Like Felton and Hillis, Schmitt is a talented runner and receiver. Where he stands out, however, is the sheer physicality and relentlessness in his blocking. Schmitt has experience at running back and tight end, as well as the traditional lead blocker role, and has the athleticism to allow a creative offensive coordinator to tinker with. His best asset, however, remains his ability to physically remove defenders from the hole.

Analysis

Positives: Well-built athlete. ... Prides himself on working out and it shows in his powerful frame. ... Versatile fullback, capable of helping a team with his running, receiving and blocking. ... Good straight ahead runner with surprising lateral quickness. ... Soft hands out of the backfield as a receiver. ... Reliable enough as a receiver that West Virginia is expected to feature him as a tight end some this season. ... Best attribute is his lead blocking. ... Not only clears holes, he does it with an old school degree of physicality and nastiness. ...

Negatives: Not featured in this offense due to the presence of Pat White and Steve Slaton and may appear to be a better runner and receiver out of the backfield simply because defenses are keying in on the speed and elusiveness of West Virginia's star runners. ... Good overall athlete, but is more of a complementary runner and receiver than a star in the making. ... Good timed speed, but this speed isn't always evident on the field.

2006 Season

2006 second team All-America (Scout) ... three-yard TD against Marshall ... also had six knockdowns vs. the Herd ... seven-yard TD run vs. Eastern Washington and two receptions for 36 yards ... gained 55 yards in Maryland win ... three-yard TD catch at East Carolina along with 15 yards rushing ... two scores at Mississippi State on runs of five yards each ... 15 yards vs. Syracuse ... one-yard touchdown at Connecticut ... 28 yards rushing at Louisville ... injury to his left knee and ankle in Cincinnati game ... limited in his play at Pitt ... opened the Gator Bowl with a 52-yard gain and totaled 109 yards rushing against Georgia Tech.

2005 Season

Rushed for 380 yards last season ... gained 7 yards on three carries in Wofford win ... outstanding in win at Maryland, rushing for team-best 80 yards with a three-yard TD and gains of 34, 19, 13 ... 11 yards rushing vs. East Carolina ... 20-yard kick return against Virginia Tech ... 16 yards rushing and caught three passes for 13 yards in Rutgers win ... had a 23-yard run in the first overtime and a 20-yard reception from Patrick White on 3rd-and-8 in the third overtime against Louisville, setting up Steve Slaton scores ...six knockdowns vs. UL ... suffered a bruised quad in the Connecticut game ... 32 yards and a 15-yard TD vs. the Huskies ... gained 30 yards on seven carries in Cincinnati win ... 44-yard gain in the Pitt win ... 42 yards on just five carries in win at USF ... 82 yards rushing in the Sugar Bowl, with a long gain of 54 in the second quarter on 3rd-and-one.

2004 Season

Gridiron Gladiator Award from WVU coaches ... Offensive Champion: Maryland, Cincinnati ... received the 2005 Iron Mountaineer Award as the top performer in the winter workout program ... did not see varsity action in 2004 ... scout team champion: East Carolina, Temple.

2003 Season

Transferred to WVU from Wisconsin-River Falls.

High School

Unanimous all-conference selection at Fairfax High ... team captain for Coach Bill Rechin ... Liberty District MVP ... all-district and all-region baseball player.

Personal

Birthday is February 13 ... son of Serena Drangle and Wayne Schmitt ... an athletic coaching education major.

Draft Scout Player News
11/17/07 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: FB Owen Schmitt is a strong blocker and will be counted on to give the offensive line a hand as West Virginia will try to stop a pair of strong pass rushers in Cincinnati DEs Anthony Hoke and Angelo Craig. Schmitt will also line up at tight end at times to give the Cincinnati defense a different look.

11/08/07 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: FB Owen Schmitt has been used at tight end on occasion this season so West Virginia can take advantage of his blocking skills, which should come in handy against Louisville's porous run defense. Schmitt has also rushed for 167 yards and two touchdowns on 33 carries and caught 10 passes for 105 yards and one score.

10/07/07 - GAME BALL GOES TO: FB Owen Schmitt, who rushed for 39 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries, caught one pass for 31 yards and had a 27-yard punt on a quick kick that pinned Syracuse deep in its own territory.

10/07/07 - Fullback Owen Schmitt is the forgotten man in West Virginia’s loaded backfield that features such starts as quarterback Pat White and tailback Steve Slaton along with exciting freshman tailback Noel Devine. However, Schmitt got his chance to shine in a 55-14 win over Syracuse on Oct. 6. While blocking is his forte, Schmitt showed he could be effective carrying the ball and why NFL scouts believe he can play at that level. Schmitt, who also occasionally lines up at tight end, rushed for 39 yards and two touchdowns on eight carries. He also caught one pass for 31 yards and had a 27-yard pooch punt on a quick kick that pinned Syracuse deep in its own territory. “It always feels good to contribute,” said Schmitt, whose touchdowns were his first of the season. “I don’t care if I’m the towel boy. I just like to do anything I can to help the team out.” West Virginia needed Schmitt’s contributions as Slaton was held to 69 yards on 15 carries and White had 89 yards on 14 carries before being forced from the game in the third quarter with a strained chest muscle. Schmitt helped pick up the slack as five different Mountaineers scored touchdowns in scoring the most points Syracuse has ever given up in a game at the Carrier Dome. “Unfortunately, Syracuse took away Pat and Steve and I just happened to be open on a couple of things,” Schmitt said. West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez was pleased with the play of his unsung hero. “Owen has got great tailback skills despite being a fullback,” Rodriguez said. “He is a 260-pound guy who is hard to tackle in the open field.”

09/30/07 - STILL NEEDS WORK: FB Owen Schmitt got his most offensive touches this season against South Florida but did not capitalize as he had only 23 total yards, carrying a season-high five times 19 yards and matching his season high with two receptions for just four yards.

I'm long on Deion Anderson personally next year

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
He actually broke 10 facemasks in his football career :)

But heck, 99.9% of the player don't break A facemask in their career.

Anyone see him last week when he messed up a fake punt?

He took his helmet off and hit himself in the forehead 3 times before a teammate stopped him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
tvooz;1771193 said:
we drafted anderson this year and already have hoyte... who would you like to cut?

I agree...we have good FB's here...no need for another one

David