CFZ Schotty and Dak Prescott

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know, I know. There's already far too many Dak threads. However, I had a realisation about something when I was writing a response in another thread.

When Dak Prescott was a rookie, he had Romo, Moore, and Mark Sanchez (who had been waived by the Broncos in TC) in the QB room with him. Mark Sanchez was credited as being a positive influence (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanchez) who was able to help Dak navigate his rookie season (before you laugh, Romo credited Vinny Testaverde as one of the people who helped develop him). This makes sense when you think about it as Mark Sanchez's rookie season was with the NY Jets. The New York/New Jersey area is a similarly tough market to conquer to Dallas. Yet, in 2009 and 2010, he made the AFCC in back to back years. Yes, he's constantly mocked for the butt fumble, but people forget that he was a decent QB with them, and he was the better QB between him and Bradford when he played in Philly before coming here.

But Rusty, you're probably asking, who cares? What's this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, do you know who Mark Sanchez's OC was when he went to the AFCC in consecutive seasons? Schottenheimer was the OC. Guess who is Dak's OC now. Schottenheimer! I don't know if it'll be similar results, but I think it's interesting that Mike McCarthy chose the OC of the QB who was among the biggest influences on Dak's development as the next OC.

I think that this will be helpful for Dak for two reasons. Firstly, if Dak learned a lot from Sanchez in a way that it set him up for a successful first several seasons in the NFL (which, for a 4th round pick, that's incredible), then it stands to reason that Dak should be able to learn additional techniques that Moore was not capable of teaching Dak, based on Moore's lack of experience. Secondly, sometimes, hearing the same voice from a coach and using basically the same system every season can become stale. Additionally, especially if the same route concepts are being run, it makes it easier for DBs to anticipate the route and counter the routes. By bringing in a voice like Schotty, it means that, even though Mike McCarthy is calling the plays, Dak will have an OC who has a slightly different style to Moore to where DBs won't be so easily able to anticipate the routes, but one that's similar to a voice with whom Dak would be familiar based on his history with Mark Sanchez.

I don't know if anyone else happened to notice this connection, but I think that it is an interesting connection. If Schottenheimer brings what I think he can to the table, I think his hiring may be quietly one of the more brilliant acquisitions this offseason.

Last edited:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Fat Mike. Brian Schittenheimer. Kellen. Sanchize. Clapper. Those guys are all terrible. Dak could get better advice at the liquor store. Or from me.

Dak if you read this. Listen to me. Hand the ball off and quit the audibles to a pass play. You are not that good. Don't try to do more than you are capable. Throw it out of bounds and quit holding the ball too long. The defense and run game must carry you to postseason success. It's your only chance.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Fat Mike. Brian Schittenheimer. Kellen. Sanchize. Clapper. Those guys are all terrible. Dak could get better advice at the liquor store. Or from me.

Dak if you read this. Listen to me. Hand the ball off and quit the audibles to a pass play. You are not that good. Don't try to do more than you are capable. Throw it out of bounds and quit holding the ball too long. The defense and run game must carry you to postseason success. It's your only chance.

I think McCarthy is better than he's given credit. Additionally, as I stated, when Schotty and Sanchez worked together with the Jets, good things happened in 2009 and 2010 for the Jets. I am curious to see what happens this season.

Forneymike

Reaction score
The Jets won solely on defense when “Schotty” was there. They ran him out of town soon after for being too conservative with a snooze fest offense. Same in Seattle. Off tackle runs and boring. This offense will not be more productive or score more
Points this year than the last two. Middle of the pack and pray the defense is great.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Jets won solely on defense when “Schotty” was there. They ran him out of town soon after for being too conservative with a snooze fest offense. Same in Seattle. Off tackle runs and boring. This offense will not be more productive or score more
Points this year than the last two. Middle of the pack and pray the defense is great.

Perhaps, which I imagine is why Mike McCarthy is calling the plays. When he called plays in Green Bay, they usually ended up being good on offense. However, my thinking is that Schotty is here to be essentially another Mark Sanchez to him (who naturally wouldn't want to leave the comfy confines of FOX Sports).

ESisback

Reaction score

Don’t you CARE about the team? Apply for the job! Help us out! Fame and fortune await you!

817Gill

Reaction score
Schotty’s job is going to be to employ his zone run scheme that’s worked well everyone he’s been. His downfall is his over-reliance on it when he calls plays.

Mike’s WCO background is actually a great fit for what Schotty’s run game does, probably why he brought him on staff and elevated him when Moore left. For all that Moore did well, one of his weaknesses was his ultra-bland run scheme (outside of a few gimmicks and tricks). We get that fixed then our efficiency in the run game will be through the roof.

If Mike can call the game right then we could be cookin.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Schotty’s job is going to be to employ his zone run scheme that’s worked well everyone he’s been. His downfall is his over-reliance on it when he calls plays.

Mike’s WCO background is actually a great fit for what Schotty’s run game does, probably why he brought him on staff and elevated him when Moore left. For all that Moore did well, one of his weaknesses was his ultra-bland run scheme (outside of a few gimmicks and tricks). We get that fixed then our efficiency in the run game will be through the roof.

If Mike can call the game right then we could be cookin.

Exactly, and Schotty, as stated, may be able to help support Dak.

ESisback

Reaction score
In the past: Dallas beats 3 average teams, 35-14, 41-21, 38-20, then loses to SF 19-10.

In the future: Dallas wins 3 times 24-10, 27-7, 21-9, then beats SF 16-14.

Just a theory.

75boyz

Reaction score
If Mike hired him to be a voice of reason to balance out the run game with Mike's past high volume pass offenses then it was a good move. If there is no collaboration between the 2 and Mike returns to a high volume passing offense play caller without implementing his run the damn ball and rest the defense approach then there will be a high volume number of poor pass play decisions just like always.

It's all a game of wait and see at this point.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score

And yet they work in the NFL and are well respected around the league by other football people

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know, I know. There's already far too many Dak threads. However, I had a realisation about something when I was writing a response in another thread.

When Dak Prescott was a rookie, he had Romo, Moore, and Mark Sanchez (who had been waived by the Broncos in TC) in the QB room with him. Mark Sanchez was credited as being a positive influence (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanchez) who was able to help Dak navigate his rookie season (before you laugh, Romo credited Vinny Testaverde as one of the people who helped develop him). This makes sense when you think about it as Mark Sanchez's rookie season was with the NY Jets. The New York/New Jersey area is a similarly tough market to conquer to Dallas. Yet, in 2009 and 2010, he made the AFCC in back to back years. Yes, he's constantly mocked for the butt fumble, but people forget that he was a decent QB with them, and he was the better QB between him and Bradford when he played in Philly before coming here.

But Rusty, you're probably asking, who cares? What's this have to do with the topic at hand? Well, do you know who Mark Sanchez's OC was when he went to the AFCC in consecutive seasons? Schottenheimer was the OC. Guess who is Dak's OC now. Schottenheimer! I don't know if it'll be similar results, but I think it's interesting that Mike McCarthy chose the OC of the QB who was among the biggest influences on Dak's development as the next OC.

I think that this will be helpful for Dak for two reasons. Firstly, if Dak learned a lot from Sanchez in a way that it set him up for a successful first several seasons in the NFL (which, for a 4th round pick, that's incredible), then it stands to reason that Dak should be able to learn additional techniques that Moore was not capable of teaching Dak, based on Moore's lack of experience. Secondly, sometimes, hearing the same voice from a coach and using basically the same system every season can become stale. Additionally, especially if the same route concepts are being run, it makes it easier for DBs to anticipate the route and counter the routes. By bringing in a voice like Schotty, it means that, even though Mike McCarthy is calling the plays, Dak will have an OC who has a slightly different style to Moore to where DBs won't be so easily able to anticipate the routes, but one that's similar to a voice with whom Dak would be familiar based on his history with Mark Sanchez.

I don't know if anyone else happened to notice this connection, but I think that it is an interesting connection. If Schottenheimer brings what I think he can to the table, I think his hiring may be quietly one of the more brilliant acquisitions this offseason.
Funny you should mention Romo and Prescott as I was just reading this:

"Romo was pretty bad at manufacturing controversy for as often as he seemed to be at the center of it. He couldn’t even make last season’s Dak Prescott conundrum all that interesting. When he was finally healthy to return last season — in the midst of the rookie’s breakout — Romo ended any debate with one of the most heartbreaking, honest, and gracious statements an athlete can make in that situation, beginning with the admission that Prescott “earned the right to be our quarterback.”

Romo added, “You almost feel like an outsider. Coaches are sympathetic but they still have to coach and you're not there. It's a dark place. Probably the darkest it's ever been. You're sad and down and out and you ask yourself, ‘why did this have to happen?’”
Romo also recalled being in a similar position to what Prescott is in now.
“I was that kid once, stepping in and having to prove yourself,” Romo said. “If I remember one thing from back then, it’s the people that helped me when I was young, and if I can be that to Dak, I will be moving forward.”
Romo eased Prescott into a full-time starter’s role then stepped away from the game completely, assuring that a ROMO V. PRESCOTT GRUDGE MATCH won’t take place in 2017. And to make it easier for everyone, he gave no big statement or press conference."

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/5/15178498/tony-romo-retirement-cowboys-career-cbs-announcer

I don't quite get the controversy or uncertainty...other than manufactured. Not saying YOU you....just in general.

conner01

Reaction score
In the past: Dallas beats 3 average teams, 35-14, 41-21, 38-20, then loses to SF 19-10.

In the future: Dallas wins 3 times 24-10, 27-7, 21-9, then beats SF 16-14.

Just a theory.
Possible
But I don’t think there will be as much change as some think. Will we run more? Maybe but not a significant amount different. Running the football is about moving the chains. If you want to run more you have to run effectively. Otherwise you end up in 3rd and long all day
I think play calling will be less disjointed. Play calling needs to be a part of a plan and not just calling random plays. Play calling can setup other plays. Sometimes play calling is just about seeing what the D does to counter
I think we will see a better plan around play calling but we will still pass more than we run in most games because it’s hard to run 10-12 play drives all day and not get a penalty, or a negative play. Effective running opens up play action and lamb with cook can thrive on play action
I expect the run/ pass mix to be fairly similar and the explosive plays to be more effective than last year because of better play calling

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

What type of advice is this? You want him to win 8 games next year lol?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Romo and Prescott as I was just reading this:

"Romo was pretty bad at manufacturing controversy for as often as he seemed to be at the center of it. He couldn’t even make last season’s Dak Prescott conundrum all that interesting. When he was finally healthy to return last season — in the midst of the rookie’s breakout — Romo ended any debate with one of the most heartbreaking, honest, and gracious statements an athlete can make in that situation, beginning with the admission that Prescott “earned the right to be our quarterback.”

Romo eased Prescott into a full-time starter’s role then stepped away from the game completely, assuring that a ROMO V. PRESCOTT GRUDGE MATCH won’t take place in 2017. And to make it easier for everyone, he gave no big statement or press conference."

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/5/15178498/tony-romo-retirement-cowboys-career-cbs-announcer

I don't quite get the controversy or uncertainty...other than manufactured. Not saying YOU you....just in general.
He stepped away because his body was done. Broken.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

We’re going to be hearing “Schittenheimer” a lot if the offense sputters.

phildadon86

Reaction score

My favourite part about this argument is, y’all keep bringing up Dak changing the plays. The only time that was brought up in the media was after the Tampa game in 2021 when Dak has arguably the best game of his career.

So if he was changing the plays, and then had the best game of his career. What does that say about the plays? Or the coordinator?