Schulters offically cut

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans released safety Lance Schulters on Thursday shortly after failing to reach agreement on a new salary cap-friendly deal.

The Titans, who cut six high-priced veterans in February, had been expected to release the seven-year veteran in their attempt to rebuild and free up enough salary cap space to build up other weak areas this season.Schulters, paid a roster bonus in March, was scheduled to earn $2.75 million in salary this season. Team officials and agent Brian Levy made one last attempt at finding a price both could agree earlier this week.

"We floated some ideas back and forth," Levy said. "I don't think either of us felt comfortable with the other's ideas. So we just felt it would be best at this time we parted ways amicably. We've accomplished that."

Schulters revived the Tennessee defense when signed as a free agent in 2002 after beginning his career in San Francisco. He didn't miss a start until injuring his left foot in the third game last year and missed the rest of the season.

Schulters has 51/2 sacks and 15 interceptions in his career, and he had 192 tackles and six interceptions in his three seasons with the Titans.

k19

Reaction score
Here comes all the "we really need Schulters" threads :rolleyes:

TheHustler

Reaction score
Schulters > Reese.

Is he worth the extra money? maybe not. we should at least bring him in for a look.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Dude, just passing on info. I never said we should get him. I know a lot of people wanted to get him if he became available so I thought I'd share the story cause that's how I roll.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Schulters > Reese.

Is he worth the extra money? maybe not. we should at least bring him in for a look.

Schulters may be > Reese. To us laymen.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
we SHOULD get Schulters..... Izell is a total stiff.... i don't care if you domn't believe me... i've seen him play more than anyone on this board over the last few years thanks to my TV viewing area.... he sucks. Schulters, if healthy, is in a whole other league.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't see the harm in it. Come camp, one of them would be released. The contract for the survivor is the only one we would need to worry about. Besides, I'm not convinced Reese would not be cut in camp either way,

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I dont know anything about Shulters, I know a little about Reese, but thats old news. I haven't followed his career after he left the boys.

Bringing Shulters in at the right price would be a prudent move. Much like Hall, if he stinks, wave bye-bye as he leaves and tell reese hes the man. You can never have enough quality DBs, and safties with any kind of ball skills are harder to find.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
In his new column, Mick says the Cowboys might bring him in for a look. It says since we only invested a $25,000 signing bonus in Reese, it's not like we're hamstrung by him.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
Dale said:
In his new column, Mick says the Cowboys might bring him in for a look. It says since we only invested a $25,000 signing bonus in Reese, it's not like we're hamstrung by him.

thank god... although i would still love to see Chavous get released and brought in for a visit more.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't see the harm in bringing him in either. Who is really gonna cry if we have Reese, Lance, et al in competition for one of four spots.

My question is does anyone know if he's healthy and what kind of money is he looking for?

Guess if we sign him we'll find out.

Reaction score
Good info Dale...

I agree Jobberone, his health is the only question for me...
The guy is a serious upgrade from what we were playing last year...Again, if healthy...

Depth...Something that would be new here at several spots...

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Dale said:

I can see Lynn Scott burning incense and sticking pins in a couple of voodoo dolls with Stars on their heads . . .

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I wonder what's with all these teams waiting so long to make their June 1st cuts. It can't endear them to agents that they're taking their precious time releasing guys who would probably like to find suitors before the market dries up.

I've long speculated that Schulters could be a possible Cowboys signing. It hardly seems to me that Reese was a guy the Cowboys were in love with all along, given that they waited until June to give offer him a near minimum contract. It makes me almost wonder if they weren't waiting for Schulters to be cut on June 2nd, and when it seemed the Titans may not release him afterall they moved on and brought in Reese.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I wonder what's with all these teams waiting so long to make their June 1st cuts. It can't endear them to agents that they're taking their precious time releasing guys who would probably like to find suitors before the market dries up.

I've long speculated that Schulters could be a possible Cowboys signing. It hardly seems to me that Reese was a guy the Cowboys were in love with all along, given that they waited until June to give offer him a near minimum contract. It makes me almost wonder if they weren't waiting for Schulters to be cut on June 2nd, and when it seemed the Titans may not release him afterall they moved on and brought in Reese.
Mostly they try to renegotiate a new cap friendly deal. As an axe over the player's head they have the waiver. Sometimes the players don't flinch.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
jobberone said:
I don't see the harm in bringing him in either. Who is really gonna cry if we have Reese, Lance, et al in competition for one of four spots.

My question is does anyone know if he's healthy and what kind of money is he looking for?

Guess if we sign him we'll find out.

In some previous threads that were speculating about Shulters being released or not back around the mini-camps right after the draft..

..I recall it being stated that it had supposedly been said he was overall healthy again but because the Titans had decided to not keep him in their plans and informed him and his agent such, that Shulters didn't participate in the mini-camps but did attend them and continue his rehab, etc.

Apparently, the team and the player agreed not to make him particpate to avoid any possibility of re-aggrivating the injury and hurt his chances to eventually play elsewhere.

This was the jist of what I remember, possibly someone else could add more.

I think the Boy's would be interested in bringing him in and seeing the shape the injury is in and offer him a deal that would be incentive and be a 1-2 year deal to let him bring himself back slowly and see if he could make the full-recovery by September.

Some sort of deal that if he did recover and achieve his former abilities, would allow him to get his bonuses and then renegotiate after this year or be released to go elsewhere.

That would be a win-win deal for all concerned. And the risks would be minimal. That way, if he still needs to re-hab for some or all of traing camp, we've still got enough players on hand to play the position and if things don't work out, he would be released if need be in September in the last cutdowns and he'd still have a chance to catch on with somebody else.

It all depends on what the doctors say. And on what other teams do as to pursuing him and upping any offers we might want to make.

I'd like to see him IF he has the potential to help us by opening day. If not, it might be difficult to save him a roster space based on 'maybe's'.

He's the type of player, if healthy, that would allow the secondary to do lot's of things that having a Davis or Hunter in the deep secondary wouldn't. His obvious experience and former high level of play would leapfrog him over an other choices we've got at the position right now.

It's a gamble. But not if the pieces fall right for both parties.

I would add that you have to feel for the Titans fanbase. The last two years with the bleeding of their talent has to be tough. Either thru cap mistakes, injuries and attrition, they have fallen on hard times, much like we did.

But through it all, most of the players have had good things to say about their organization and understood that changes were an absolute. Only Eddie George seemed to really be bitter about it and that's because he really didn't understand his own abilities and couldn't adjust to his new situation and make the most of it when he was here in Dallas.

I only hope that when we start to let guys go next year like Glover and Ellis and a few others, that they depart with the same feelings of the team having been fair and professional with their release.

We'll see.

parcellswaterboy

Pooz

Reaction score
I don't want no injury prone vet that wants a ton of cash. He aint better than half of our safeties. I am glad no one on this board is the GM. You all would give him a 10m bonus and sign him for 5 years ludicrous!

Pooz

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I've long speculated that Schulters could be a possible Cowboys signing.
You along with about another 100 board members! :moon: I love it, EVERY guy released is going to be signed by Dallas. Hey let's sign everyones cap cuts! There is a reason for these cuts people, they guys aren't worth what they think they are. Have you looked at the after June cuts? I would hardly say they are future Hall of Famers! :D