Scott Frantz Kansas State Olineman - UDFA Suggestion

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is about an UDFA prospect, but I felt it was draft worthy. Apologies of if this is in the wrong spot.

Scott Frantz was an UDFA last year and didn't play last year. Per Wikipedia, he's 6'5" and 303 lbs. In the above video, he wears number 74. I'm thinking he's someone we could try out and get on the practice squad. We could use oline depth, and I'd like to see what he can do. He looks like a solid player. Notice how well he pulls for the RB. Look at the pocket that he helps give his QB at 1:08. He keeps 43 in front of him, and never lets him by him. That was a nice pocket! I like what I see from him.

Below are his strengths (https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/scott-frantz)

PROS: Experienced three-year starter for the Wildcats. Tons of strength in his upper body gives him power in his initial punches. Will knock defensive lineman off-balance with the violence he displays. Defenders will struggle to keep their shoulders square to the line of scrimmage because of Frantz's heavy hands. Physicality is a weapon in run blocking and protection. Awareness to find work when there is no outside rush, and will bring heat with it. Rolls his hips effortlessly which allows him to anchor while he gains leverage. Shown the ability to stop the charge of defensive lineman and then finish them.

Has strong and heavy feet that can allow him to move his hips around into the hole after using his upper body strength to control defensive lineman. Effortlessly able to climb to the second level on combination blocks, and is tough for linebackers to work through. Distributed strength gives him versatility, as he can thrive as a run blocker or pass protector.

I think he could be an intriguing option to try to bring to camp. At this point, it's about roster churning and seeing what talent can be brought in. I think it's worth trying him out, taking him to camp, and seeing what he can do. I like what I see from the video I've posted. With Tyron Smith having injuries lately, I think Frantz would be good to bring in. Caveat to this player, he is openly gay. As someone who is bi, I think his sexuality shouldn't matter. I think he looks like a solid prospect. The video I posted looks good with him in a game against Miss State. He's a power 5 prospect. I say why not give him a try?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Eh, as a UDFA there's no reason not to I guess.

But he doesn't have particularly good size, and he looks really clunky as an athlete. Not a lot to build on.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He may look clunky, but I like the form he showed in the videos. I think some of the clunkiness can be coached. I say why not give him a try?
You have it backwards. You can coach form or fundamentals, but you can't coach someone to be an athlete. He's also about to turn 25, so there's really no upside.

I don't care as a UDFA/camp body, but he's not developmental.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Frankly, I think his lack of play last year might be a chip on his shoulder. At the very least, he might be a good camp body and would be worth a PS spot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is about an UDFA prospect, but I felt it was draft worthy. Apologies of if this is in the wrong spot.

Scott Frantz was an UDFA last year and didn't play last year. Per Wikipedia, he's 6'5" and 303 lbs. In the above video, he wears number 74. I'm thinking he's someone we could try out and get on the practice squad. We could use oline depth, and I'd like to see what he can do. He looks like a solid player. Notice how well he pulls for the RB. Look at the pocket that he helps give his QB at 1:08. He keeps 43 in front of him, and never lets him by him. That was a nice pocket! I like what I see from him.

PROS: Experienced three-year starter for the Wildcats. Tons of strength in his upper body gives him power in his initial punches. Will knock defensive lineman off-balance with the violence he displays. Defenders will struggle to keep their shoulders square to the line of scrimmage because of Frantz's heavy hands. Physicality is a weapon in run blocking and protection. Awareness to find work when there is no outside rush, and will bring heat with it. Rolls his hips effortlessly which allows him to anchor while he gains leverage. Shown the ability to stop the charge of defensive lineman and then finish them.

Has strong and heavy feet that can allow him to move his hips around into the hole after using his upper body strength to control defensive lineman. Effortlessly able to climb to the second level on combination blocks, and is tough for linebackers to work through. Distributed strength gives him versatility, as he can thrive as a run blocker or pass protector.

I think he could be an intriguing option to try to bring to camp. At this point, it's about roster churning and seeing what talent can be brought in. I think it's worth trying him out, taking him to camp, and seeing what he can do. I like what I see from the video I've posted. With Tyron Smith having injuries lately, I think Frantz would be good to bring in. Caveat to this player, he is openly gay. As someone who is bi, I think his sexuality shouldn't matter. I think he looks like a solid prospect. The video I posted looks good with him in a game against Miss State. He's a power 5 prospect. I say why not give him a try?

Looks decent with good feet but very short arms for OT and would need to get stronger to play OG.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

What round did you predict?