Scouting Report on Tony Romo in Draft Insiders '03 Yearbook

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Here is the actual Yearbook Scouting Report on Tony Romo in Draft Insiders '03 Yearbook "This guy may be the gem of this deep QB class"

Positional Overview excerpt

The small college group of QBs may be the strongest in memory, but has received little fanfare yet has the upside potential to make this a bonanza for the 32 clubs hunting for young QB talent. With the current high demand for NFL caliber passers, one can expect several late picks at this position as clubs search for developmental passers that they can refine further on practice squads and in NFL Europe.

Tony Romo #17 - 6'2" 220 lbs. - Eastern Illinois - Sp. 4.9 Rating 78

Smooth strong small college passer completed an excellent senior season at the Division 1 AA level that earned him the Walter Payton Award, symbolic of the level's best player. Tony completed a record setting career that included three consecutive Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Year awards in addition to numerous first team All-American teams. He is a fine athlete with a live arm and the ability to make all the throws. He has shown excellent accuracy, touch and timing as a passer with the ability to hit receivers in stride on a consistent basis. He has operated mainly from the shotgun and has decent setup technique when starting from under center.

He has a very quick release with a smooth compact delivery that wastes little motion that allows him to get the ball off nicely when under pressure.

He has a good arm with the ability to throw the short and intermediate passes exceptionally well. He needs some work on the deep ball with improved arm strength and better foot positioning necessary to increase his completion %. He has a good feel for pressure in the pocket with the mobility to avoid tacklers and make a good throw on the move. He makes things happen outside the pocket with the ability to hit receivers on the money. Over his career, he made nice strides in all areas of play, especially decision making. He goes through his progressions well with the quick decision making to deliver the ball to the right receiver at the right time. He has the complete makeup of an NFL starting QB - athletic, sound arm with the ability to make quick smart decisions consistently.

The Numbers: Over his career, he threw for 8212 yards passing with 85 TD passes on 584 completions of 941 attempts. He had a huge senior year, which earned him the Walter Payton award. He threw for 3165 yards on 258 completions of 407 passes for 34 TDs, which earned him high season honors. As a junior, he threw for 2068 yards on 67% completion rate for 21 TDs and 6 picks. He helped his cause with a good week at the Paradise Bowl, displaying an accurate live arm and nice mobility in the pocket. His strong final season earned rave reviews from NFL scouts about his passing talents and intangibles as a leader.

The Skinny: This guy may be the gem of this deep QB class. He is an ideal fit for the West Coast offense that emphasizes accuracy, mobility and quick decision-making. He has the triangle numbers NFL scouts seek in a pro prospect and he has the makeup to become a starter with further development and continued improvement. He has the talent to surprise over time and may be the best small college passer since Kurt Warner.

He needs further coaching and playing experience especially working under center and making adjustments while setting up in the pocket. At the combine, he ran a 5.0 forty, had a 30" vertical jump and an 8'9" broad jump.

He is a talented prospect with the tools to start, but most likely a 2nd day selection in this deep QB class. He is a quality 3rd string NFL passer with excellent upside potential. This guy should emerge as an NFL starter in time with proper coaching and some patience. Excellent middle round prospect with the ability to shine in a West Coast offense.

Draft Projection: 5th-6th Round

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/94

Saw this online and thought it was interesting looking back at what some thought about old Romo 6 years ago.

Tovya

Reaction score
I think Big Bill must have read this report, because this exactly how things played out...

JeffInDC

Reaction score
"The Skinny: This guy may be the gem of this deep QB class. He is an ideal fit for the West Coast offense that emphasizes accuracy, mobility and quick decision-making. He has the triangle numbers NFL scouts seek in a pro prospect and he has the makeup to become a starter with further development and continued improvement. He has the talent to surprise over time and may be the best small college passer since Kurt Warner."

This has been my thought process for awhile now. As good as Romo has been most of the time in the Coryell/Turner/Zampese/etc.....timing offense, I think he would be Steve Young Jr. in a Walsh/Holmgren/Shanhan/etc.... system. Just my $.02.

Reaction score
Kudos to DraftInsiders. That is a great summary of Tony's skills and attributes. I think a lot of fans sometimes forget that Romo is a very good player. I think todays' media, mass coverage and forums for discussion tend to make for the expectation of perfection for QBs and Dallas Cowboys. Good luck on both of those impossibilities.
Now I have to go read some more DarftInsiders about someone who turned out to stink and see what they said. They were right on about Romo!

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
JeffInDC;2834030 said:
"The Skinny: This guy may be the gem of this deep QB class. He is an ideal fit for the West Coast offense that emphasizes accuracy, mobility and quick decision-making. He has the triangle numbers NFL scouts seek in a pro prospect and he has the makeup to become a starter with further development and continued improvement. He has the talent to surprise over time and may be the best small college passer since Kurt Warner."

This has been my thought process for awhile now. As good as Romo has been most of the time in the Coryell/Turner/Zampese/etc.....timing offense, I think he would be Steve Young Jr. in a Walsh/Holmgren/Shanhan/etc.... system. Just my $.02.

I agree, I really think he could be unstoppable in a WCO.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
masomenos85;2834016 said:
My goodness, that is a shockingly accurate scouting report.

yep, esp. the part where he needs to better his foot positioning on long throws

alot of his deep passes sail and get away from him because he tends to throw off his back foot

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
JeffInDC;2834030 said:

Except that everyone describes Garret's offense as being more of west-caost style and less of a timing-based style.

superpunk

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2834101 said:
Except that everyone describes Garret's offense as being more of west-caost style and less of a timing-based style.

Define "everyone".

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
masomenos85;2834016 said:
My goodness, that is a shockingly accurate scouting report.

So much so that I was starting to think it was a joke and someone had written it yesterday. :lmao2:

What's strange is that it's such a positive report and ends with him rated a 5-6 rd pick.:confused:

Just doesn't make sense.

"He is a talented prospect with the tools to start, but most likely a 2nd day selection in this deep QB class. He is a quality 3rd string NFL passer with excellent upside potential. This guy should emerge as an NFL starter in time with proper coaching and some patience."

This more like a 1st day selection to me.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2834101 said:

Not really. The only resemblance it has to the WCO is its tendency to be a pass first offense. But it's a fact that Garrett uses his timing based passing tree. Plus his tendency to base on the intermediate to deep routes has its roots in Air Coryell rather than the shorter quick routes of the WCO.

Make no mistake, we do run a 'Garrett version' of the Coryell/Turner/Zampese line, with a little bit of Martz thrown in.

Temo

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2834140 said:
So much so that I was starting to think it was a joke and someone had written it yesterday. :lmao2:

What's strange is that it's such a positive report and ends with him rated a 5-6 rd pick.:confused:

Just doesn't make sense.

"He is a talented prospect with the tools to start, but most likely a 2nd day selection in this deep QB class. He is a quality 3rd string NFL passer with excellent upside potential. This guy should emerge as an NFL starter in time with proper coaching and some patience."

This more like a 1st day selection to me.

The thing is, past the first couple rounds, QBs are really, really hard to project. There are so many guys that look just like Romo in college, esp. small colleges, that don't pan out for whatever reason.

There was an excellent Malcolm Gladwell piece on it a few months ago.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Temo;2834324 said:
The thing is, past the first couple rounds, QBs are really, really hard to project. There are so many guys that look just like Romo in college, esp. small colleges, that don't pan out for whatever reason.

There was an excellent Malcolm Gladwell piece on it a few months ago.

I think a large part of that might have to do with teams not having the patience to develop the QB over the course of a few years.

A perfect example of both happened here. Parcells had the patience to keep and nurture Romo here over the course of four years. However for whatever reason he couldn't wait to be done with Henson.

I think this might be the case in a lot of places where necessity forces teams to cut their would be developmental third QB.

tunahelper

Reaction score
JeffInDC;2834030 said:

I believe thats what JJ was referring to when he said "Romo friendly". Our version will include two TE sets and short throws to backs, mixed with a power running game. The vertical routes will be apart of play action I think?

burmafrd

Reaction score
BP looked at Henson and He looked at Romo and he kept Romo. Sounds right to me. I am amazed there are still those that think Henson got a raw deal. HOw many teams have given him a shot? AND HE STILL STINKS.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;2834586 said:
BP looked at Henson and He looked at Romo and he kept Romo. Sounds right to me. I am amazed there are still those that think Henson got a raw deal. HOw many teams have given him a shot? AND HE STILL STINKS.

lol, Detroit gave him like 3 shots alone

QT

Reaction score
Tovya;2834002 said:
I think Big Bill must have read this report, because this exactly how things played out...

Actually it was Sean Payton that read the report. Sean was the one that hunted down Tony and convinced Bill...

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Right, I agree. I wasn't saying that Henson got a raw deal. I was trying to make the point that both examples happened on our very own turf. One was cultivated, while the other was booted.