Scouts, Inc.: Dallas Cowboys Team Needs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys have been diligent under coach Bill Parcells in addressing their needs on defense through the draft and free agency. Now it's time for the offense to get better. Dallas has made a living off strong offensive line play over the years, but age and injuries have turned this into an area of concern. The team needs to start making some tough choices about its quarterback of the (near) future. QB Drew Bledsoe won't be around a lot longer, and the Cowboys have yet to determine whether his successor is currently on the roster.

s4298.jpg

Adams

Offensive tackle: Disaster struck when a Week 6 knee injury knocked LT Flozell Adams out for the remainder of last season. The Cowboys' offense soon crumbled because of an inability to protect Bledsoe. Adams turns 31 next season and is coming off major surgery. RT Rob Petitti isn't athletic enough to play outside, and backup Torrin Tucker fared poorly in Adams' absence. Dallas needs help here in a big way.

Safety: This is one of the few areas of weakness on the Cowboys' defense. Keith Davis gives everything he has, but is best suited to a backup role and special teams duty. The Cowboys don't necessarily need a stud. A smart player who can give SS Roy Williams some help and get the rest of the secondary lined up would help.

Wide receiver: Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn had productive 2005 seasons, but both are veterans who could hit the wall at any time. This unit suffers from an utter lack of rising talent. Dallas needs to add a young playmaker who eventually could develop into a starter.

Quarterback: Bledsoe, 34, is on the downside of his career. He played poorly down the stretch in '05 and will continue on that path if the Cowboys don't upgrade their offensive line. The team likes some of what it sees in backup Tony Romo, but he lacks game experience. No. 3 Drew Henson is off to NFL Europe for seasoning. This team needs to find its future quickly.

s7187.jpg

Ware

Outside linebacker: DeMarcus Ware already is well on his way to being an excellent NFL player, but Dallas needs an upgrade on the left side. Unrestricted free agent Scott Fujita isn't a long-term fix and depth behind him is poor.

Dallas hung around the playoff race for a while last season, but the team ultimately finished a disappointing third in its division. With New York and Washington on the rise and Philadelphia expected to bounce back, the NFC East could prove to be the league's most competitive division in 2006. Parcells loves to build his teams from defense to offense, so now that the defense has rounded into shape, the passing game and offensive line should finally receive most of the attention.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

Link

jeff

Reaction score
I agree that we need to address the future quarterback situation pretty soon. I think we also need a young receiver for the future, maybe Santonio Holmes....I don't know. I'm not sure about writing off Petitti though. He was known for having a fast twitch and being aggressive in college. He got a lot great experience in his first year. I know we need some sold experience at RT, but Petitti may develop there.

Has there been any talk about trading Glover and/or Ellis for a draft pick or just a trade? I love both players, but it seems like they were redundant last year with Ferguson and Canty in the picture.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
jeff said:
I agree that we need to address the future quarterback situation pretty soon. I think we also need a young receiver for the future, maybe Santonio Holmes....I don't know. I'm not sure about writing off Petitti though. He was known for having a fast twitch and being aggressive in college. He got a lot great experience in his first year. I know we need some sold experience at RT, but Petitti may develop there.

Has there been any talk about trading Glover and/or Ellis for a draft pick or just a trade? I love both players, but it seems like they were redundant last year with Ferguson and Canty in the picture.

The article missed Kicker!!:eek: