Screen shot of that fair catch (depressing)

Zman5

Reaction score
The whole sequence was weird if they were playing for the fair catch.

First they don’t try to block the punt. Second, they always have Cobb out to catch the ball in that situation.
They looked as though they were not prepared for this situation and just winged it.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Yep he could have housed that. He it's gutless Football.

You forget, this is the Dallas cowboys..there would have inevitable been a blocking in the back penalty to negate the TD. Either a stupid special teams player would have actually done it and if not, the refs would still have called it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This is pretty misleading, Austin called for a fair catch almost immediately after the ball was kicked so the Vikings coverage was mostly jogging down the field.
yeah that was what I saw on the replay, so had he tried to return it then not as much space as it looked.

But I agree, in that situation you gotta go for the block or the return , not fair catch it and no block attempt.
but hey its clapper !!

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
You would think coaches with years of experience would cover all scenarios, obviously you don't want to return a punt that you catch in the middle of the field that has decent coverage, you rather save that time rather than gamble on the return.

But it's just as obvious that if you field a punt near the sideline and it's wide open you take it as far as you can and then step out of bounds. Even with veteran players a good coach makes sure everyone is on the same page and not leave anything to chance.

jay94

Reaction score
If it was Cole Beasley get 5 yards max per punt return I could understand that. You could say hey go straight up the field, do dilly dally

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You would think coaches with years of experience would cover all scenarios, obviously you don't want to return a punt that you catch in the middle of the field that has decent coverage, you rather save that time rather than gamble on the return.

But it's just as obvious that if you field a punt near the sideline and it's wide open you take it as far as you can and then step out of bounds. Even with veteran players a good coach makes sure everyone is on the same page and not leave anything to chance.

This is exactly what so many of us are talking about when we mention how Garrett doesn't pay enough attention to details. I couldn't even imagine Landry being so vague as to allow something like that to happen. Attention to details is what makes a coach worth his salt. It's just a clown show. ;)

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
This is pretty misleading, Austin called for a fair catch almost immediately after the ball was kicked so the Vikings coverage was mostly jogging down the field.
Yes.
I don’t have a horse in this race one way or the other, but.....
If you look at the still shot it looks like the Vikes players were pulling up.
I could be wrong but that’s the impression I get.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Who could be responsible for such a dumb decision?

Even if he runs for 5 yards how is that any different than a pass play that gets 5? Except you don’t lose a down.

How could any staff that follows football tell a player to auto fair catch it to save time??? What could it save 5 seconds?

One guy is responsible for these decisions. He continually finds new ways to lose. Give him that. He simply doesn’t know the game that well.

This is yet another clock management error.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Clock stops on a punt return, so just how the frick is not returning the punt saving time? Garrett is the dumbest coach in any sport, in any league.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Maybe Tavon was afraid of getting released by ignoring Garrett and returning the kick anyway. I'm so sick of this pathetic, gutless head coach that I don't know what to do. First his decision to have Maher kick the long FG cost us this game and then he robbed this team of having a come back win by taking it out of Dak's hands and telling Austin to fair catch the ball. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Who could be responsible for such a dumb decision?

Even if he runs for 5 yards how is that any different than a pass play that gets 5? Except you don’t lose a down.

How could any staff that follows football tell a player to auto fair catch it to save time??? What could it save 5 seconds?

One guy is responsible for these decisions. He continually finds new ways to lose. Give him that. He simply doesn’t know the game that well.

This is yet another clock management error.
And you dont have to worry about getting out of bounds.