News: Scruggs: The Cowboys Have a Good Pipeline of Scouts

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones gets all the credit for the players with whom the Dallas Cowboys have been stocking their club. The organization is all on board with it. Jones is made to look like a “football guy,” but you don’t see him out on the road scouting players.

When I cover college games during the regular season or bowl games I have never seen Jones on the sideline or the press box looking for the next draft picks or free agents the Cowboys will bring in. Sure, he goes to the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine but Jones has men behind the scenes who do a darn good job.
Will McClay is the Cowboys' senior director of college/pro personnel. He oversees the Cowboys draft and plays a huge part in bringing free agents. Will is star.

Another name Cowboys fans need to know is national scout Drew Fabianich. He’s been with the club since 2003. CBSsports.com calls him an unsung hero as to why the Cowboys are 7-1. They wrote:

Read the rest: The Cowboys Have a Good Pipeline of Scouts | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-st...eline-of-Scouts--400614001.html#ixzz4PcTQ0R53

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another attempt to discredit Mr. Jones. GMs don't go on the road to scout players, that is why organizations pay scouts to you know, scout players. I hate the media. The only place you may see a GM is at the combine or at senior bowl.
Didn't really take it that way. Honestly, I thought the article was sort of incomplete. I think the goal was to pump up Will and the national scout dude, but it kinda fell flat.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
WoodysGirl where do you find all this cool information? Everytime I turn around your dropping stuff I never run across. This forum has some amazing people on here.

Reactions: BAT

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl where do you find all this cool information? Everytime I turn around your dropping stuff I never run across. This forum has some amazing people on here.
Way back when I had a Cowboys bookmark.that generated almost every Cowboys article possible. Then Twitter happened. And @Reality developed the CZ Newsfeed. Makes posting/sharing stuff a lot of easier.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Didn't really take it that way. Honestly, I thought the article was sort of incomplete. I think the goal was to pump up Will and the national scout dude, but it kinda fell flat.

Maybe, but since when does Jerry get all the credit for Cowboys success?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but since when does Jerry get all the credit for Cowboys success?
Well that one time in band camp... Kidding. Didn't he win Exec of the Year in 2014? Bout as close as he's gonna get.

Reactions: BAT

VACowboy

Reaction score
Well that one time in band camp... Kidding. Didn't he win Exec of the Year in 2014? Bout as close as he's gonna get.

My question regards the first sentence: "Jerry Jones gets all the credit for the players with whom the Dallas Cowboys have been stocking their club." Have you ever read or heard anyone giving Jerry credit for talent acquisition? First Jimmy Johnson was the wizard behind the Dallas roster. Then Jerry was winning with Jimmy's players. Then the team was mediocre because Jerry just wasn't a football guy. I don't know how many times I've heard people call for Jerry to hire a GM. Tyron Smith was a no-brainer. Frederick was the last legit offensive lineman left on the board, the Cowboys were lucky Stephen talked his dad out of Johnny Manziel and it was the coaches who wanted Zeke. Besides all that, Jerry wants splash when he brings in new players. All he cares about is selling jerseys. I can't wait for Stephen to take over. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Some people here laughed when Jerry won exec of the year and lots and lots of people are scoffing at the idea of Mister Jones in the Hall. I think he's being considered for the HoF mostly because of the way he's built the Cowboys into a mega-business and his influence in ramping up the league's business machine, not his acumen as a GM. I'd bet a majority of people believe the Cowboys are succeeding despite Jerry.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Another attempt to discredit Mr. Jones. GMs don't go on the road to scout players, that is why organizations pay scouts to you know, scout players. I hate the media. The only place you may see a GM is at the combine or at senior bowl.
It's hilarious. Like last season they were just saying how bad our scouting was.....now we have a plethora of scouts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The blind homers have been quietly praising the scouting department for years as they've consistently gone about retooling the roster. There's no longer any room for doubt. They've done a great job, from top to bottom, in finding and developing talent in Dallas under Garrett.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The blind homers have been quietly praising the scouting department for years as they've consistently gone about retooling the roster. There's no longer any room for doubt. They've gone a great job, from top to bottom, in finding and developing talent in Dallas under Garrett.

Under Garrett and our "fake" GM.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What players is Fabianich credited with being a proponent for?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Who the heck has ever attributed player evaluation to Jerry Jones? I'm pretty sure every Cowboys fan who knows their history would laugh at that thought.