Seahawks sign DT Hankins

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
LOL.

Kendricks is OK, he's not the same guy he was 4 years ago.

And what DT help are we going to add? We literally need at least TWO high quality DTs. Where are they coming from?

The problem with fans like you is you just assume any warm body we sign is a good player, a good signing, and will help us. That's pretty silly.
It’s a waste of time going back and forth, while some will criticize the team for any move, there’s other that will defend the cowboys over any move they make and justify their decisions.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the problem. They need C, OT, LB, Edge and DT. LB can probably wait until round 2, but my guess is they will draft a LB in 3 or 5. I am still betting they draft Edge in round 1, OT in round 2, C in round 3. If you think we fans are frustrated now, I think the draft will send us over the edge, no pun intended.
Bingo.

This crystalizes the flaw of the Jones. They go into most drafts with multiple holes thinking the draft will cure all. When in reality, if they spend a bit in FA to fill some holes, it gives them flexibility in the draft to not have to think need at critical times in the draft.

They are arrogant, stubborn fools and honestly, until someone in that family wakes up, this team is not going to be winning SBs anytime soon.

Sydla

Reaction score
Which is exactly why we know this isn’t a rebuild despite what fans are saying or hoping for. This is just more poorly timed and ill advised planning from Jerry and Stephen
I am under no delusions this is a rebuild. I am just pointing out that IF this is a rebuild, then they are botching the hell out of it, which likely wouldn't surprise anyone.

Frankly, gun to head, I suspect we see an extension for Dak in July or August. Which again, would be dumb (for the timing alone), but again not very surprising.

rambo2

Reaction score
LOL.

And what DT help are we going to add? We literally need at least TWO high quality DTs. Where are they coming from?

The problem with fans like you is you just assume any warm body we sign is a good player, a good signing, and will help us. That's pretty silly.
They very well could add a dtackle in the 2nd or 3rd round. Sweat, Fiske, Smith, the A&M kid, the Clemson kid, or the Duke kid. Linebackers are certainly improved with Kendricks and Overshown.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Bingo.

This crystalizes the flaw of the Jones. They go into most drafts with multiple holes thinking the draft will cure all. When in reality, if they spend a bit in FA to fill some holes, it gives them flexibility in the draft to not have to think need at critical times in the draft.

They are arrogant, stubborn fools and honestly, until someone in that family wakes up, this team is not going to be winning SBs anytime soon.
They have made the draft even harder for those in charge and let them absolutely zero wiggle room. An already tough process is made even more important and doubly as hard. Literally everything is riding on the draft, where if a gm hits on 35% of his picks you build a statue.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Certainly some do, myself I am not a pessimist when it comes to the team. I’ve defended the team and dak countless times over the years but I don’t agree this is the same as every year nor do I think they have handled this right so far.

The mentality from the front office is in regards to free agency is the same but they’ve let a ton of their own guys go combined with being inactive in free agency, usually they bring back their own guys.
But they've done this in the past. I can go down a list of guys they've let go. Connor Williams, .Connor McGregor, Randy Gregory, Chico Awuzie, Xavier Woods, Anthony Hitchens....

if they let Micah or Lamb go? I'll agree with you. This would feel different. But they've let go of aged veterans in the past(Tyron Smith, Demarcus Ware, Terrence Newman).

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
They very well could add a dtackle in the 2nd or 3rd round. Sweat, Fiske, Smith, the A&M kid, the Clemson kid, or the Duke kid. Linebackers are certainly improved with Kendricks and Overshown.
Overshown hasn’t played a single down in the nfl…he showed promise in the pre-season! That’s it. He’s not established at all and he hasn’t done a lick in the nfl. He’s a rookie coming off an acl- you can’t say they are certainly improved and include him, because you have zero clue how he’ll be off that injury.

Sydla

Reaction score
We took a DT in Rd 1 last year and he was a non-factor. Assuming a DT we take in Rd 2 or Rd 3 this year can make an immediate impact seems kind of foolish, no? And that's one guy. You need at least 4-5 DTs on a 53. We have two we can count on right now. Two. And one is Mazi Smith who we have no idea if he will develop into even a competent player.

I like Overshown but he is an undersized LB. He has a certain role. If you are counting on him being some sort of run stopping thumper, guess what? You are going to be disappointed. In fact, it may be shown that he was a better fit in Quinn's defense than Zimmer's.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.

I don't think that's what he's saying. This is the NFL. No one can predict it. Teams who you guys think will be good will suck. Teams that you think will suck will be good. Happens every year.

And as a Cowboy fan I can sit here and tell you that the years we typically do better then we think is when we are at our lowest. No one had us winning the NFC East last year.

You know why this happens? Because rookies develop. Guys end up playing better than expected. And that could happen next year.
Bland will get better. Lamb will get better. Mazi will get better. As fans it sucks to hear this because we want names and we want excitement. There is nothing exciting about this free agency class. But we all sat here in 2016 and when Romo went down we expected the worst. Just now how the NFL works.

As far as being an actual SB contender? I don't see it based on what I've seen teams do to actually win a SB and this isn't it. But I could be wrong. Just never know.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Overshown hasn’t played a single down in the nfl…he showed promise in the pre-season! That’s it. He’s not established at all and he hasn’t done a lick in the nfl. He’s a rookie coming off an acl- you can’t say they are certainly improved and include him, because you have zero clue how he’ll be off that injury.
WE don't have zero clue if he will be good or bad though. So why do we assume he will be bad or a non factor?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
But they've done this in the past. I can go down a list of guys they've let go. Connor Williams, .Connor McGregor, Randy Gregory, Chico Awuzie, Xavier Woods, Anthony Hitchens....

if they let Micah or Lamb go? I'll agree with you. This would feel different. But they've let go of aged veterans in the past(Tyron Smith, Demarcus Ware, Terrence Newman).
it’s the timing though that you aren’t factoring in though…when they let guys like ware or Newman and other guys they were a roller coaster organization. One good, one bad year, one good year, one bad year, up and down and all over the place. This team has been a consistent playoff team for 3 straight years….stability the organization hasn’t seen since 96’. They should be adding to that to close the gap between them and the baltimores,buffalo’s, San Fran’s etc.

They let guys go in the past and brought in adequate replacements via free agency (in their price range). Now they are letting guys go and hoping they can fill them in in the draft or hoping they get replacement from guys who have shown nothing. It’s bad execution and terrible timing given where the team is.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
WE don't have zero clue if he will be good or bad though. So why do we assume he will be bad or a non factor?
I’m doing the exact opposite actually….the poster said the linebackers are “greatly improved” and included overshown in that. You can’t because exactly of what you said. We don’t know. He could suck, he could be great. He could be ok, but you can’t just pencil it in like it’s problem solved. I’m saying we don’t know.

We literally have no idea. So while Kendrick’s is a good add, ideally he’s linebacker 2 or on really really elite teams he’d be number 3.

Sydla

Reaction score
The point being that sitting out FA or trying to mitigate some risk on your roster through FA because we have Smith or Overshown is foolish and risky and actually burned the Jones over and over.

And yet, they seem oblivious to that.

Take DT. They have two DTs on the roster that are 53 man type DTs - Odi and Smith. And Smith was a total dud last year. Carl Davis? LOL. Some will say Gholston but he's 268 pounds. He's not a DT.

You need at least 4-5 DTs for a 53. We have two. Haven't even sniffed a DT in FA and let our best one walk in FA. What's the plan here? Even if they draft one, which seems likely, there is no guarantee that kid will be an immediate impact player or be more like Smith and be a dud for a season. So why not go out and sign one quality DT in FA? One that you know what you will get from?

There is little doubt in my mind DT will be a problem AGAIN in 2025 because the Jones are just stubbornly foolish.

LittleD

Reaction score
He could likely move Dak for some picks, load up on draft capital, play Lance and see if he's salvageable, etc.

There are a million different reasons why if the plan is to just tank and rebuild in 2024 that they should just move on from Dak right now.
You forgot who owns and runs the team. Jerry likes money and corporate butts in the seats. Jerry has a plan and it may or may not work out for sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m doing the exact opposite actually….the poster said the linebackers are “greatly improved” and included overshown in that. You can’t because exactly of what you said. We don’t know. He could suck, he could be great. He could be ok, but you can’t just pencil it in like it’s problem solved. I’m saying we don’t know.

We literally have no idea. So while Kendrick’s is a good add, ideally he’s linebacker 2 or on really really elite teams he’d be number 3.
Bingo.

The homers can't grasp this basic concept. It gets back to what I said earlier. The homers just assume a warm body will be quality simply because he's got a Cowboys jersey on. So they have convinced themselves DT is in OK shape because Mazi will be better. The problem is he was so bad last year we really have no idea what he will be. Going further, since we've literally done nothing to improve or sure up the DT spot (we've gotten worse) if Smith doesn't actually improve alot, DT is in big trouble.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m not saying the team will not find replacements, but this is not their typical m.o. with regards to their own free agents. Replacing this many snaps in a year they are evidently extending their 31 year old QB is not their m.o.

It looks like they are playing the long game, so why would they do that with an older QB about to be extended? The long game approach is something I would prefer at this point, but it is a contradiction to do it with an aging QB-and has not been their off-season plan for awhile.
Our "aging" QB is young for the position. Most QBs are just now hitting their best prime years or in the midst. Dak is only 30!
Now, it's one thing to argue that he's not good enough or that we should go with a rookie deal, but to call Dak an aging QB at 30 after he just had his best season as a pro (with no run game) is not accurate.

Sydla

Reaction score
You forgot who owns and runs the team. Jerry likes money and corporate butts in the seats. Jerry has a plan and it may or may not work out for sure.
Oh I know who owns the team.

All I am saying is IF he's undertaking some sort of under the radar rebuild, he's screwing it up by keeping Dak on the roster for 2024.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't think that's what he's saying. This is the NFL. No one can predict it. Teams who you guys think will be good will suck. Teams that you think will suck will be good. Happens every year.

And as a Cowboy fan I can sit here and tell you that the years we typically do better then we think is when we are at our lowest. No one had us winning the NFC East last year.

You know why this happens? Because rookies develop. Guys end up playing better than expected. And that could happen next year.
Bland will get better. Lamb will get better. Mazi will get better. As fans it sucks to hear this because we want names and we want excitement. There is nothing exciting about this free agency class. But we all sat here in 2016 and when Romo went down we expected the worst. Just now how the NFL works.

As far as being an actual SB contender? I don't see it based on what I've seen teams do to actually win a SB and this isn't it. But I could be wrong. Just never know.
Quality franchises look to mitigate risk, however. A quality franchise would see what Mazi Smith was in 2023 and admit to themselves they have to mitigate some risk in case he doesn't improve and plays closer to what he did in 2023. We do not and that's a huge problem. See the Cowboys don't need Smith to just improve. The way they have this set up, they are counting on him to be great and solve our DT issues. How likely is that?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point being that sitting out FA or trying to mitigate some risk on your roster through FA because we have Smith or Overshown is foolish and risky and actually burned the Jones over and over.

And yet, they seem oblivious to that.

Take DT. They have two DTs on the roster that are 53 man type DTs - Odi and Smith. And Smith was a total dud last year. Carl Davis? LOL. Some will say Gholston but he's 268 pounds. He's not a DT.

You need at least 4-5 DTs for a 53. We have two. Haven't even sniffed a DT in FA and let our best one walk in FA. What's the plan here? Even if they draft one, which seems likely, there is no guarantee that kid will be an immediate impact player or be more like Smith and be a dud for a season. So why not go out and sign one quality DT in FA? One that you know what you will get from?

There is little doubt in my mind DT will be a problem AGAIN in 2025 because the Jones are just stubbornly foolish.
Well I don't disagree the approach is silly and foolish. I'm just saying we are so quick to write guys off. We assume a guy will be bad when we just don't know.

I think some scheme change will improve this rush defense. And if they make the choice of putting Micah at linebacker that too will improve it. I also think Mazi will be better next year. It will improve IMO. Super Bowl worthy? I don't see it. But they will add some DT's at some point.

The DT's that we needed to put us over the top got 100 million. Everyone else was a JAG.

There are just some positions you have to draft. To me linebacker and DT are those spots. In order to find those generational guys who can come in and impact a defense you have to find them in the draft. Because teams typically don't let them go and when they do they get 100 million.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Bingo.

The homers can't grasp this basic concept. It gets back to what I said earlier. The homers just assume a warm body will be quality simply because he's got a Cowboys jersey on. So they have convinced themselves DT is in OK shape because Mazi will be better. The problem is he was so bad last year we really have no idea what he will be. Going further, since we've literally done nothing to improve or sure up the DT spot (we've gotten worse) if Smith doesn't actually improve alot, DT is in big trouble.
And it’s basically the problem with the front office I call it the “hope” effect. Last year instead of getting Wagner? They rely on lve and “hope” he stays healthy. Few years ago they go into the year with no wide receivers and “hope” one established themselves as a 1- before ultimately trading for cooper.

Let pollard go? Sign an established vet? Nope, we “hope” Rico can be that vet and we “hope” a drafted rb can be our 1. Need a d tackle? Sign a vet? Re- sign Hankins? Nope, we “hope” mazi steps. It’s just half measures all around with them. They won’t go the extra step necessary to cover their bases.