Seahawks with no emergency kicker?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Not sure any team has a backup plan really. Some punters are capable of some FGs, but losing a kicker mid game tends to screw most teams.

Not sure what their aim was with the onside. Should have just set the ball on the ground and kicked it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That is true. Dumb question, as I can't recall: Had they moved the PAT back at that time when Heath kicked for us?

Yes. If you google Jeff Heath PAT it will take you to the cowboys website. It has a video of all 3 of his attempts(2 converted).

joseephuss

Reaction score
Not sure any team has a backup plan really. Some punters are capable of some FGs, but losing a kicker mid game tends to screw most teams.

Not sure what their aim was with the onside. Should have just set the ball on the ground and kicked it.

One challenge with using the punters as the emergency kicker is that the punters are also typically the holders. A team has to redo 2 positions in that instance.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bet they wish they had rethunk not using a kicking tee.

Seattle has dropped kicked the ball a few times this season. It is an unpredictable way of kicking the ball. Bad decision to use it for an onsides kick attempt.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
That was ridiculous.

I would be so pissed if I was a Seahawk fan.

You are telling me some offensive lineman couldn't kick the ball hard at the defenders? That drop kick was embarrassing.

Thank God!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is true. Dumb question, as I can't recall: Had they moved the PAT back at that time when Heath kicked for us?
I believe it was just last year, against the 49ers. He kicked from the 23.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was at the game so a I haven't heard much on this topic. We at least have Heath who can kick an extra point or a short field goal.

That's piss poor planning on the Seahawks part to have no one who can even kick an extra point!

It was bad team management. The punter had never even tried an extra point type kick.

I think most punters could learn to kick extra points. I used to kick them in 9th grade after practice and I was not a kicker or punter.

frickster

Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills used to practice 5 minutes down the road from me. The punters and kickers don't do much in training camp. I cant understand my a punter cant learn to kick and vice versa. Im sure at some point they did both. Its unreal.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills used to practice 5 minutes down the road from me. The punters and kickers don't do much in training camp. I cant understand my a punter cant learn to kick and vice versa. Im sure at some point they did both. Its unreal.

I bet every remaining playoff team may give this some thought this week.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Analytics folks should have a field day with this game:

Not having Janikowski actually benefitted the Seahawks at least 3x.

1) They don't go for the 4th down and hit Baldwin on the big catch setting up the go ahead TD with Janikowski available
2) They kick Extra points instead of going for 2 twice and converting both times.
3) If Seattle recovers the drop kick somehow, they are set up with an outside shot to win instead of tie (because of no K available) ironically, with a FG

Ebnorice

Reaction score
I thought about that too, Aikman was saying they should take the FG down by 10 and then go for the onside kick. How does a pro team not have their punter or some Jeff Heath type ready to try 30 yard FGs? Half the posters on this website could do that. In fact, Locimus is good from the 40.
I just had hip surgery yesterday and I’m sure I could of trotted out there on my crutches and kicked a better onside kick.

Proximo

Reaction score
Just popping in to say that was literally thee most pathetic attempt at an onsides kick I have ever seen in my life.
Cannot imagine the meltdown on CZ had that been the other way around.

Also god bless Jeff Heath.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was at the game so a I haven't heard much on this topic. We at least have Heath who can kick an extra point or a short field goal.

That's piss poor planning on the Seahawks part to have no one who can even kick an extra point!
Especially with an old kicker for a starter.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I promise you. When I first saw the Seahawks kicker I thought he looks out of shape. Even for a kicker....then bam!!! Their goes the hammy :confused:.

John813

Reaction score
Wonder if this was a blowout regular season they would of had someone try a xp/fg .