Season player review - Defense

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Here's my take on players that saw significant minutes.

Canty - I realize the passive scheme reflects on all the DLinemen but Canty really seemed to struggle with his hands. He almost never used his long arms to gain leverage.

Spears - Stuggled even more than Canty. The athleticism is there, as he dominated a few plays at times but the technique problems allowed him to be engaged easily more often than not.

Hatcher - Showed more promise than some. Really needs a few complimentary moves but only a rookie and should get better.

Coleman - Dallas' best end this year and that's sad. A decent player but no potential.

Ratliff - Made a few plays when given the opportunity, a very nice rotation guy.

Bowen - Sad that he made more plays in the Lions game than other DLineman have made all year.

Ferguson - The heart of the problem. A quality player but not a 3-4 NT. Lacks the bulk so he doesn't command the LOS and is much better at penetrating a gap.

Ellis - Quality pass rusher who was a huge liability vs. the run and unable to cover. Would really benefit from a switch back to the 4-3 and his natural end position.

Ware - Great player who's still learning. Still relies a little too much on athletic ability and his technique suffers as he tires later in the game.

Carpenter - I'm hoping the playoff game is a sign of things to come. A type of player who finds the ball.

Singleton - A consummate professional but not a playmaker. Quality depth if nothing else.

Fowler - Great on special teams, terrible in goal line.

Ayodele - You could tell he was frustrated by the schemes at times thanks to his body language. Got better as he became used to the ILB position.

James - I tried to tell people he wasn't playing well earlier in the season and was shouted down. Absolutely lost in space.

Newman - That punt return TD earlier in the year in a marquee game and he's in the pro bowl.

Henry - A decent second corner. I'm curious to find out how serious his alleged injury really is.

Glenn - Nice third corner but should never be matched up with tall receivers. Age seems to be sapping his speed somewhat and a replacement needs addressed in the near future.

Williams - People have turned on him even more but the bottom line is that he made more plays than any other strong safety in football.

Watkins - Looked much better after returning from his benching. I still have really high hopes for him.

Davis - I said it before and I'll say it again. Any time Davis is on the field the defense is in trouble.

Parrish - Looked slow and sluggish. Won't be in Dallas next year.

Reeves - I honestly didn't understand the demotion to Jones. I thought he played well for a 4th/5th corner.

Jones - JAG. Didn't do anything well, didn't do anything terribly.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Ferguson?

He consistenly ate up two men and held his own against them. He's the epitome of how a 3-4 NT should be.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I also liked Fergie's play.

Roy might have made some good plays, but he also made a ton of mistakes. Kind of like the 40 home run hitter who stikes out 200 times a year. Give me a solid guy whose a strong tackler and great in coverage over him every time.

I agree with most of the other observations. I also like Reeves and I think he could be a decent third/fourth corner.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Fergy played a strong season and has 32 tackles to lead all lineman, so I am not with you there.

Canty and Spears had a grand total of 2 sacks between them.

I wish we would have kept Glover for use in the nickle, he ended up with 5.5 sacks...which would be good for 2nd on this team.

proline

Reaction score
I wish we had been able to sign Willie McGinest last year. Ellis was OK, and certainly better than his replacement(s), but he's no Willie....

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1299134 said:
I also liked Fergie's play.

Roy might have made some good plays, but he also made a ton of mistakes. Kind of like the 40 home run hitter who stikes out 200 times a year. Give me a solid guy whose a strong tackler and great in coverage over him every time.

I agree with most of the other observations. I also like Reeves and I think he could be a decent third/fourth corner.

Ferguson's play for a 3-4 NT was pretty bad. The idea is to occupy at least two blockers, keeping them off the ILBs. In that regard (his main job), he was pretty feeble most of the time. A solid double team would blow him five yards off the LOS and the ILBs were getting caught up in the wash.

I'd really like him as a 1 technique in the 4-3 because he does have ability, it just doesn't translate well to a pure NT.

As for Williams, a few missed tackles or TDs allowed may stick in your craw, but overall, he missed fewer tackles than most and his TDs allowed wasn't out of the ordinary for a normal pro bowl safety.

dfense

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1299118 said:
Ferguson?

He consistenly ate up two men and held his own against them. He's the epitome of how a 3-4 NT should be.
I agree with that. Ferguson is not the problem.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1299147 said:
Ferguson's play for a 3-4 NT was pretty bad. The idea is to occupy at least two blockers, keeping them off the ILBs. In that regard (his main job), he was pretty feeble most of the time. A solid double team would blow him five yards off the LOS and the ILBs were getting caught up in the wash.
LOL, I hope your joking... Ferguson may have been the most consistent defensive player on the team, if not right behind Ware or Newman.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
cowboy4eva;1299155 said:
LOL, I hope your joking... Ferguson may have been the most consistent defensive player on the team, if not right behind Ware or Newman.

Go back and rewatch some games. Check out the second half of almost any game as he wore down or check out the entire second Eagles game. He was getting blown up one on one in that one.

Then watch the Chargers next week and watch where Williams set up camp. That's how a NT is supposed to play.