Seau's Career Appears to be Over

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Seau's career appears over

By: STEVE SCHOLFIELD - Senior Sports Columnist
This has to be the strangest month Junior Seau has experienced.

For the first time in his adult life, Seau enters July without being part of a football team.
It's beginning to look more and more as though Seau's distinguished NFL career is coming to an end. The only person who has not come to grips with that fact is Seau.

When we talked recently, Seau cautioned me, "There is no story with me. I know you are champing at the bit, but there is no story."

I disagree.

It's news when a 16-year veteran, a 12-time Pro Bowl selection and one of the most popular players to ever step on the field is unemployed on the eve of training camps.

It either tells me that Seau should realize that his career is over or that his skills have rusted to the point where no one wants him.

I asked, "Are you ready to announce your retirement?" Seau replied, "Steve, don't go negative on me."

Seau said that his agent Marvin Demoff, "is doing everything he can" to help him find employment. When I contacted Demoff's office seeking comment he did not return the call.

Maybe, sadly, Demoff has nothing to report.

This has to be an emotional time for the sensitive Seau, who has such a passion for the game that he never figured R-day (retirement day) would come.

But it happens to all athletes.

Former Carlsbad resident Mike Haynes is a Hall of Fame cornerback who knows what Seau is going through.

"Junior is like me, from the old school," Haynes said. "He thinks he's going to come back every year until they say you can't play anymore."

If any teams think the 37-year-old Seau has anything left in his tank, they aren't calling.

The similarities between Haynes and Seau are striking.

Haynes, who retired in 1989, played for 14 years, was a nine-time Pro Bowler and is in the Hall of Fame. Seau will join him in the Hall some day. Both are quality athletes who have overcome aches and pains, surgeries and grueling offseason workouts to become elite athletes.

The past two years have been particularly frustrating for Seau, who was shown the door by the Chargers after the 2002 season and ended up signing a three-year-deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Injuries started taking their toll. Seau missed eight games in '04 because of a torn pectoral muscle, and an Achilles injury shut him down for the final nine games last season. The Dolphins officially released him March 6.

Haynes, the NFL's vice president of player and employee development, did offer a ray of hope for Seau based on his own experience.

If he doesn't get picked up, Haynes suggested that Seau stay in shape and be on-call.

Haynes explained that both the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers wanted to bring him in after he retired. Seattle had Tom Flores, who was Haynes' former coach.

Recalled Haynes: "Tom told me, 'Mike, we'll call you if we get into the playoffs.' I said, 'Why don't you sign me now and help you get into the playoffs?' "

The call never came.

"And the 49ers' situation was that Ronnie Lott got hurt and they were looking for somebody to play safety, but he came back from his injuries," Haynes said.

Haynes did offer Seau two other nuggets of wisdom ---- become a mentor to younger players and don't hassle over a contract.

"If someone wants to give Junior the league minimum, he should probably take it," Haynes said. "Outside of football, you will never find a job that is going to pay him that kind of money."

The league minimum for Seau is about $812,000, but only half of it would count toward the salary cap.

"If someone wants to bring him in to teach younger players about the right attitude and having a good work ethic, he should jump on it," Haynes said.

I think Seau would, if only the phone would ring.

Steve Scholfield is senior sports columnist for the North County Times. He can be reached at (760) 740-3509 or stevescho@cox.net.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
great player, great person. sounds to me like hes denying the inevitable though. if he wants to stick around that bad, maybe he could land a player/coach gig somewhere.

ghst187

Reaction score
well it had to end at some point. Was a great player and classy guy, hope that he goes ahead and retires instead of trying to play another year at a level well below his prime.
He's had a great career and has been a great representative for the NFL...

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Seau is a great guy but honestly, I thought his career was over a few years ago. He's just been taking up space since then.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NorthTexan95 said:
Seau is a great guy but honestly, I thought his career was over a few years ago. He's just been taking up space since then.
agree

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Isn't there something about if a player of his age is signed before the season starts their contract is guaranteed but if you wait till week 2 it's not? With his recent injuries, that would prevent a few teams from signing him at this time. I can see a team bringing him in as depth after week 1.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dallasfaniac said:
Isn't there something about if a player of his age is signed before the season starts their contract is guaranteed but if you wait till week 2 it's not? With his recent injuries, that would prevent a few teams from signing him at this time. I can see a team bringing him in as depth after week 1.

Yes, a vet, not sure of how many years, I think 4 plus years. If on the roster game 1, their contract for that year is guaranteed. And for a 37 year old player, it makes senses to wait. Sign him week 2 or later, when players get injured, bring him in. But I believe most teams will go with youth, unless your in the playoff hunt, and a vet can make the difference.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:

That's a good point! There is something about signing a player after two weeks into training camp or the season, but, I'm not sure what it is...but, you are right, and I don't think that a players age has anything to do with that...

What's funny is...this might be the first post of a "name" player that someone has not already said, "lets sign him! Let's get him...he's a perfect fit for this defense...blah, blah, blah". :eek:

He should call 1-666-LSnyder...? Make some quick cash! :lmao: I'm sure the signing bonus would be, oh, hmm..$334,539,345,153.01

:star:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy said:
One word describes this player........GREAT
I hope you are reffering to his past and not present. Average is a better word to describe him now.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
seau is a living breathing HOF'er still in the league(kinda) I would think his presence alone would make our defense better whether he played a single down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stealth said:
I would think his presence alone would make our defense better whether he played a single down.
:confused:
If he didn't play a down he would be a waste of a roster spot. Are you suggesting we would be a better team by signing a over the hill vet that never played a down? JMO but signing him would only take away a roster spot from some much younger player we could groom for the future.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
:confused:
If he didn't play a down he would be a waste of a roster spot. Are you suggesting we would be a better team by signing a over the hill vet that never played a down? JMO but signing him would only take away a roster spot from some much younger player we could groom for the future.
or a roster spot could help mold our younger players we have now into better players rookies and 2nd year players need guidance, I liken seau to darren woodson, if woody could still be on the team then he would be an asset for the same reasons I think seau could be.

on a side not I have driven through kansas and I was wondering where isnt the flat land?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
stealth said:
seau is a living breathing HOF'er still in the league(kinda) I would think his presence alone would make our defense better whether he played a single down.

Stick to trying to learn about the law...because this suggestion is really STUPID! :cool:

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Stick to trying to learn about the law...because this suggestion is really STUPID! :cool:

the most I ever learned is from a mentor
if the roster spot given up could net you a better team even 5 years from now then I think it is worth it.

why wouldnt it be?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
stealth said:
or a roster spot could help mold our younger players we have now into better players rookies and 2nd year players need guidance, I liken seau to darren woodson, if woody could still be on the team then he would be an asset for the same reasons I think seau could be.

That would be called a coach, not a player! Throw away those law books, and pick up a football book...you might learn something. Leave the jail house lawyering to someone else...you're not going to cut it....!

stealth says, "lets sign him...to coach the players"!!

And, waste a roster spot? OK! :lmao:

Study up...Counselor....

:lmao2:

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
That would be called a coach, not a player! Throw away those law books, and pick up a football book...you might learn something. Leave the jail house lawyering to someone else...you're not going to cut it....!

stealth says, "lets sign him...to coach the players"!!

And, waste a roster spot? OK! :lmao:

Study up...Counselor....

:lmao2:
time will show you how berating the other party makes them less and less apt to agree with your opinions.

coaches dont suit up dont put on the pads and dont practice right along with the team, a living legend that gives it all every week even if its over for him would serve to mold players better than a coach could.

relation is a wonderful motivational technique.

mavericks owner marc cuban signed dennis rodman a few years ago the point wasnt whether the guy helped the team on game day but whether he helped the team as a whole(not even as a mentor in rodman's case) the rodman move was a brilliant move by cuban.

black and white arent all there is there are grey areas to eveything in life and simply saying the guy couldnt play a great role for us on sunday so he woudlnt be a good fit is very small in the grand scheme of things.

he could make us better for years to come