second half trends for the Giants

ethiostar

Reaction score
I read this on another forum and found it very informative and interesting. Thier recent history suggests that they are due for a fall.

This Game Doesn't Worry Me (none / 0)

Nearly as much as the Philadelphia game.
Coughlin has been their head coach for four years now. His teams have always gotten off to fast starts, and faded down the stretch. You can set your clock to it:

In 2004, they started out 5-2, and on week nine they lost at home to a bad Bears team. It was the beginning of an eight game losing streak.

In 2005, they started out 6-2, then in week nine lost at home to a Minnesota team that was 3-5 at the time.

Last year, they started out 6-2, then in week nine were blown away at home by a very good Bears team.

See a trend here?

Also, the Giants are 4-14 coming off their bye week (Dallas on the other hand, is nearly unbeatable). Under Coughlin, the Giants are 1-2 after the bye.

I saw their last game, and I know it was on a muddy, slippery field in a foreign country, but you would think they would have been able to do better than 13-10 against the Dolphins. The Dolphins actually outgained the Giants in that game.

The Giants passing attack has been mediocre at best this year (see my Points per Pass Metric diary for the numbers). Our defense should be improved this time around with a better pass rush and coverage. I know Burress burned us the first time, but I don't expect Manning to have as much time to throw, and I think with Newman back we have a lot more flexibility in our coverage.

The Giants do have probably the best front four in the NFL, and that's a concern. On the other hand, they don't have a great secondary. And our offensive line is playing very well, and we have a balanced attack, a very good QB and top-notch skill players.

Maybe I'm naive, but while I expect this game to be close, I really like our chances. If we avoid turnovers, I think we win. The Giants just don't have the firepower to play with us.

by kindablue on Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 02:29:12 PM EDT

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Eli Sucks. He folded under pressure at Ole Miss and he continues to do so now. Once the expectations get high for the team, he can't handle it. Glad he is on the NYFG.