Seems like Roy is tired of hearing he's a "liability"!

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]02:08 AM CDT on Friday, November 2, 2007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]cwatkins@***BANNED-URL***

[/SIZE]
IRVING – At times, Roy Williams sounds like a thespian upset with the reviews of theater critics instead of sounding like a football player.

To say Williams, the Cowboys' Pro Bowl strong safety, is sensitive would be accurate.
And who could blame him?

All Williams hears from fans, scouts and the media is that he's a liability in pass coverage. He also hears that he's not making as many impact plays this season.

"I'm in a lose-lose situation," Williams said Thursday. "I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. You guys get paid to criticize us, and a lot of viewers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area are reading that, and it makes me look like I'm a bad person, as far as not doing my job on the field. It's not cool."

To the Cowboys coaches, Williams is doing his job.

"He's played fine," defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said. "I'm excited. We get a chance to do more things with him once we get into [the NFC East]. He brings a wallop when he hits people, and he's concentrating. He's getting progressively better."

Over the next three weeks, starting Sunday night in Philadelphia, Williams' abilities will be tested.

And his critics will be watching.

On occasion, Williams will have to cover Eagles tight end L.J. Smith and possibly running back Brian Westbrook. The next week, there's New York Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey, and when Washington comes to Texas Stadium on Nov. 18, Williams takes on tight end Chris Cooley.

Combined, the three tight ends have 59 catches for 611 yards and seven touchdowns this season.

But when Williams has gone against the NFC East, he's had success.

Of his 19 career interceptions, six have come within the NFC East. His three interception returns for touchdowns are against the NFC East.

Williams downplays his big-play ability against the division as something he's supposed to do. Yet, he will not cover these players alone.

Free safety Ken Hamlin's presence will allow Williams to move closer to the line of scrimmage, giving him an opportunity to make impact plays.

When linebacker Kevin Burnett is in the nickel package, Williams also plays as a linebacker. In that situation, Williams can blitz or drop back in zone pass coverage.

Williams said the communication with Hamlin has improved the overall defense. As for when Williams plays linebacker? "I'm trying not to get my head knocked off by those big linemen. I'm trying to save face."

The numbers this season suggest Williams isn't making as many impact plays for a man who's been to four Pro Bowls.

Comparing his first seven games from last season, Williams has no tackles for loss, four fewer passes defensed and 10 more tackles.

Williams has been getting fewer opportunities to make plays because injuries on the Cowboys defense have forced him to do other things, and teams aren't directing as many passes toward him.

The absence of outside linebacker Greg Ellis for the first three games forced the Cowboys to keep Williams in pass coverage a little more because the pass rush wasn't as strong.

Starting cornerbacks Terence Newman and Anthony Henry missed games with injuries, which also kept Williams away from the line of scrimmage.

"You always adapt to who you have," Stewart said. "When you have your starting corners, I think you can do some things. If you're going against a two-back offense, you want to play your safeties down low and attack the run. But if [offenses] spread out all over the place, you have no choice but to play them in coverage."

While critics continue to file negative reviews of Williams' play this season, he refuses to listen to or read them. He won't allow family members to tell him what's being said. Williams hears about reviews, positive and negative, from one of the defensive coaches.

Williams is still considered a Pro Bowler among offensive coaches across the league; the next three weeks could prove that.

"We expect him to make plays," Hamlin said. "He's been doing them for a while now."​

Hoofbite

Reaction score
what does this guy know? Roy sucks, always has and always will. No way in hell is he doing his job.

Seriously though, I think hes been solid this year. Nothing spectacular over the last month but Im also convinced that his shoulder is messed up.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Of course the coach is going to say things like that and protect his player

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Roy has some areas of weakness but overall Roy has made many big plays for the Cowboys over the years and I think before all is said and done Roy will be creating more big plays down the stretch to show people again why is has gone to the Pro Bowls he has

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Roy has always been sensitive. He should try the position of Quarterback. You see leaders take the blame not run from it. Romo threw an INT in the Rams game and you didn’t hear him in the media saying TO ran the wrong route. Romo takes all the blame, he personally took ALL the blame for the Seattle loss even tho it wasn’t all his. Leaders put the load on their back and don’t feel the need to pass the blame.

superpunk

Reaction score
Kangaroo;1740537 said:
Of course the coach is going to say things like that and protect his player

There's no way he's just telling the truth, huh?

Kind of like how Bill Parcells "protected" Roy, but didn't feel the need to do the same for players like Marcus Spears and Chris Canty, or Aaron Glenn.

Nope, the coaches lie, and the casual couch jockey knows, because John Madden tells him so.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
I have thought for awhile his shoulder is not right either which explains why he is not bringing the hammer like he used to...

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
Roy is going to hurt someone this weekend!:eagles: It's clobbering time! A man can only take so much before he explodes. Hopefully his passion for making a play won't cause him to be too emotional and missing his assignments or causing him to play undisciplined...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;1740518 said:
"You always adapt to who you have," Stewart said. "When you have your starting corners, I think you can do some things. If you're going against a two-back offense, you want to play your safeties down low and attack the run. But if [offenses] spread out all over the place, you have no choice but to play them in coverage." [/INDENT]

Wow, sounds to me like this is "letting the offense dictate what you do". How completely unaggressive.

Seriously, the only problem with the above statement is that this is a league that is moving towards more spread formations and athletic tight ends every year. To counter that, the LB/SS hybrid is becoming a dinosaur, and Roy is the last brontosaurus stuck in the tarpit. That's what has changed between now and Roy's rookie year. Although, when Roy does get a chance to play up near the line of scrimmage and do what he does best in the dime package, I hope he's trying to take advantage of the situation by making plays instead of merely "saving face".

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
superpunk;1740560 said:
There's no way he's just telling the truth, huh?

Kind of like how Bill Parcells "protected" Roy, but didn't feel the need to do the same for players like Marcus Spears and Chris Canty, or Aaron Glenn.

Nope, the coaches lie, and the casual couch jockey knows, because John Madden tells him so.

Not starting a Roy debate here but your logic is flawed, some players can take the critisicm and some cannot, to say Parcells (The Master Manipulater) would handle everybody the same is very short sighted. And if there is one thing not up for debate it is that Roy is very thinskinned.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
I'm not sure why there is so much debate about Williams.
IMO, it's pretty simple. He was a top 10 pick, but he's been an average player. Compare that to a guy like Darren Woodson who was only a 2nd round pick but from his first year on the field you knew he was a great player.

The fact is Jerry way overpaid for Roy last summer.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1740581 said:
I'm not sure why there is so much debate about Williams.
IMO, it's pretty simple. He was a top 10 pick, but he's been an average player. Compare that to a guy like Darren Woodson who was only a 2nd round pick but from his first year on the field you knew he was a great player.

The fact is Jerry way overpaid for Roy last summer.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE :D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to see Roy go pick-6 on McFlubb again Sunday night.

Al "the Cowboy hater" Michaels will probably throw up.

hockix

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;1740518 said:
[SIZE=-1]02:08 AM CDT on Friday, November 2, 2007[/SIZE]

Combined, the three tight ends have 59 catches for 611 yards and seven touchdowns this season.

INDENT]​

Witten has 42 catches for 540 yards all by himself.... :laugh2:

Oupss and I forgot, 4 TDs....​

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Roy wasn't drafted to play in coverage. He was originally drafted to play close to the line and devour Qbs and RB. Essentially he was another LBer. He has been forced into this role due to bad drafts and injuries. He is and has been playing out of position for a long time.

Anyone with any knowledge of the Cowboys knows exactly why he was drafted and what he was supposed to do. To say he isn't doing his job is just ignorant of his situation and is like drafting Nolan Ryan and complaining when he doesn't hit a home run.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i hope roy gets a pick or jacks up an eagle on the 1st or second drive. whenever he makes a big play early in the game, it's like it lights a fire under the whole defense.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1740616 said:
i hope roy gets a pick or jacks up an eagle on the 1st or second drive. whenever he makes a big play early in the game, it's like it lights a fire under the whole defense.

Maybe he'll horsecollar McNabb and say 'Fine/Flag/Suspend this!'

They probably still would despite the rules, but hey.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1740619 said:
Maybe he'll horsecollar McNabb and say 'Fine/Flag/Suspend this!'

They probably still would despite the rules, but hey.
i hate that rule. the oldtimers must look at the softness of the league today and just shake there head in disgust

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1740621 said:
i hate that rule. the oldtimers must look at the softness of the league today and just shake there head in disgust

I would love to hear what a guy like Art Donovan or Chuck Bednarik thinks about it.

I think they would be ashamed of what the league has become.