self belief rather than self doubt...

visionary

Reaction score
juke's post, earlier, got me thinking. i will try to put down my thinking but am not sure i can convey it properly so bear with me

i am a big parcells fan but have come around to the thinking that he plays scared, plays not to lose, and he does not seem to trust his coaches and players (we have repeatedly heard how he dosent blitz because zimmer and the players get 'burnt' when they do, and the players dont 'execute'). it is one thing to be prepared for contingencies, it is another to 'expect' bad things to happen and to shake your head when they do. the players and coaches see this attitude and this lack of confidence and it rubs off on them. hence the defensive game plans and the players playing to 'do their assignments' rather than 'just playing the game'. we have had many posts about the team not having 'heart', not playing with 'emotion'. i think this is a 'trickle down' effect of the attitude at the top and gets reflected in the teams' performance. jimmy (to give an example, had the opposite attitude. he 'expected to win' and played aggressively. that showed in the team's play. yes he was fortunate to have good players but who is to say if we have the same attitude now, the current players cant perform to that level. these guys have talent, they are not 'busts'. we just have to find the person/coach who will instill self belief in these guys rather than self doubt.

just my .02

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Nice job.......Playing with with condidence and with an attitude all starts at the top.

The players reflect their coach......I'm a huge believer in that.

visionary

Reaction score
thanx cbz.
the problem is knowing up front, who will be that kind of coach, who can inspire their players through adversity. in retrospect, sean peyton seems to have been that guy we let slip away.