Semi OT: Myron Cope retiring!!

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Nooooooo!! Say it ain't so! Myron Cope (voice of the Steelers) is retiring.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05173/526404.stm

Even tho he announces for another team, hopefully this post can stay here. If you've never heard this guy announce, well, he's impossible to categorize but also impossible to forget. Any of us who've ever been in the Pittsburgh area revere this guy. He should be lionized if for no other reason than he p****d off Dan Snyder by calling the skins the "Redfaces." (And of course, there are the Cweveland Brownies--as only Cope can pronounce them.) When Snyder huffily demanded an apology, Cope then responded that he would NEVER apologize to "the Boy Billionaire" (as Cope called him) & that Snyder needed to get over himself.

Sigh--eternally un-PC, & cheerfully so, horrific inflections, appalling voice--I just loved the guy. He'll be missed.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kittymama said:
Nooooooo!! Say it ain't so! Myron Cope (voice of the Steelers) is retiring.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05173/526404.stm

Even tho he announces for another team, hopefully this post can stay here. If you've never heard this guy announce, well, he's impossible to categorize but also impossible to forget. Any of us who've ever been in the Pittsburgh area revere this guy. He should be lionized if for no other reason than he p****d off Dan Snyder by calling the skins the "Redfaces." (And of course, there are the Cweveland Brownies--as only Cope can pronounce them.) When Snyder huffily demanded an apology, Cope then responded that he would NEVER apologize to "the Boy Billionaire" (as Cope called him) & that Snyder needed to get over himself.

Sigh--eternally un-PC, & cheerfully so, horrific inflections, appalling voice--I just loved the guy. He'll be missed.

A guy I work with is a steelers fan, heck many people in my area grew up as steelers fans.

And he is always telling me about Cope saying funny stuff....keeps trying to get me to watch the Fox Pittsburgh sports channel but I never do lol.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Cope is purely a Local Taste, he was way overated and not very good at Football Knowledge. A gimmick, nothing more.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
Cope is purely a Local Taste, he was way overated and not very good at Football Knowledge. A gimmick, nothing more.
Thank you, .. he is an idiot, can't stomach the guy.

I can feel him spitting and spraying me through the radio.

Annoying to listen to.

Must be someone's nephew to stay employed this long.

Other than that he is okay.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I have Sirius radio, and you can get the local broadcasts for all NFL games every week.

I would often listen to Steelers broadcasts just to listen to that insane old coot. As the year went on, it became increasingly clear that his elevator no longer goes to the top floor. He would say things so off the wall, his co-announcers wouldn't know what to say in response. Also, I think he had a minor stroke on the air last year, but I'm not 100% sure.

Probably the right time to hang up his microphone.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Dude, what's with the exclamation points? It's not like the Prez was shot.