Senior Bowl Thread

Western

Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah - "Daniel Jones, Ryan Finley among five stars from Senior Bowl" - http://fw.to/yx4JUuG

Five standouts from the Senior Bowl game

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke: This was the best Jones has played all week. The Raiders' coaching staff, which coached Jones' North squad, did a good job of getting him on the move when he started the second half. That helped him get into a rhythm, which was good to see. There was a lot of pressure on him going into the game after an uneven week of practice and I thought he rose to the occasion on Saturday. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State: Finley was probably the most consistent and effective of the quarterbacks today. He had a really good game, and was solid in practice during the week. He was accurate, poised and made good decisions.

Now, he doesn't have a huge arm, but teams that have met with him here in Mobile have really liked him. Given how precise he was and how quickly he was working through progressions, I thought Finley had the cleanest game of the Senior Bowl passers. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois: Saunders had the first sack of the game, which wasn't a surprise given how well he's performed all week long. He showed his quickness and was disruptive, recording another pressure later in the game. He reminds me of the way Antwaun Woods played for the Dallas Cowboys this season. I can envision Saunders doing similar things at the next level -- he can hold up at the point of attack and give you a little quickness up the middle. He had as good a week as anybody here. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Andy Isabella, WR, UMass: He had some drops during the week and was a little disappointing in practice. But like his North squad teammate Jones, he saved his best for last, leading all receivers with seven catches for 74 yards and a touchdown on Saturday. He was good after the catch, putting his toughness on display. The team that drafts him is going to love using him on fly sweeps and bubble screens -- just get the ball in his hands and watch him go. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas: He has some physical traits that you love, including rare length, and he played really hard today. Some of his big plays were made off of effort and just not quitting on the play. He's not a finished product, but there's a lot to work with, and he helped himself in Mobile. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Bonus: There are a few other guys that I have to mention here. Delaware S Nelson Adderley picked off Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson and made a couple really good tackles in the open field, as well. ... Two former USC Trojans -- CB Iman Marshall and OT Chuma Edoga -- were probably the most consistent guys here all week. They both played well on Saturday. ... Last but not least, UC Davis WR Keelan Doss finished strong after a nice week of practices. He's so smooth, as he showed while making four grabs for 55 yards. -- Daniel Jeremiah

POSTGAME INTERVIEW NOTES: What we learned from Jon Gruden, Drew Lock and more
Gruden's take on QBs: North squad coach Jon Gruden had no shortage of quarterback talent to evaluate this week with Finley, Jones, Missouri's Drew Lock and Penn State's Trace McSorley on his roster. He mentioned a few of them in his postgame remarks.

-- On Lock: "He's exactly as advertised. I thought he had a touchdown pass dropped. He's the real deal -- he's got a great future."

-- On Finley: "(He) is a guy that just grows on you. He doesn't make mistakes. He was a prolific passer at N.C. State. Not a lot of people know about him nationally, but he threw for almost 12,000 yards and a lot of touchdowns in Raleigh."

-- On Jones: "He struggled a little at the end of the first half in the two-minute drill, but you see the arm he possesses, and you can see the mobility. ... He threw two interceptions in 7-on-7 in practice, which is uncommon, but he came back the next day better."

Sticking with it:
Delaware S Nasir Adderley got an early feel for what it's like to have an NFL logo on his helmet. He and two other North squad captains, N.C. State C Garrett Bradbury and Notre Dame LB Drue Tranquill, were given Raiders helmet decals by the Raiders' coaching staff before the game. He picked up a third one for a big play in the first half -- Gruden said he's always liked the college tradition of helmet stickers for playmaking, and brought the tradition to the Senior Bowl.

"I'm leaving it on my helmet -- it's mine to keep. I love the coaching staff -- they're about their business," Adderley said. "They wanted to win this. They said from the beginning, we're here to beat the South. That's it."

Adderley added a fourth-quarter interception to seal a 34-24 win for the North. He was one of the top draft prospects in Mobile and is keenly aware of the buzz that he could be a first-round pick.

"It's all talk until it happens," he said. "I try to just keep my foot on the pedal and tune out all that outside noise."

Talking a big game: Kentucky CB Lonnie Johnson Jr. doesn't lack for confidence.

After an impressive practice week, Johnson made four tackles in the game Saturday and afterward, said he's come away from the Senior Bowl with a conviction that he's the best cornerback in the 2019 draft.

"I feel like I'm the best corner in the draft. That's what it is. I can tackle, I can cover, and some guys at my position don't even want to tackle," Johnson said. "I stood out. I'm 6-3, I'm 210 pounds, and I'm going to run 4.4 at the combine, so y'all can take it from there."

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Talking a big game: Kentucky CB Lonnie Johnson Jr. doesn't lack for confidence.

After an impressive practice week, Johnson made four tackles in the game Saturday and afterward, said he's come away from the Senior Bowl with a conviction that he's the best cornerback in the 2019 draft.

"I feel like I'm the best corner in the draft. That's what it is. I can tackle, I can cover, and some guys at my position don't even want to tackle," Johnson said. "I stood out. I'm 6-3, I'm 210 pounds, and I'm going to run 4.4 at the combine, so y'all can take it from there."

Another kid I'm really high on. Perfect size and mentality to play in Richard's (or Seattle's) scheme. Former JuCo player, he's a bully and way more athletic than you would think when you see his size.

cristglo

Reaction score
There were players that stuck out IMo during the week and then showed some in the game. You may not have heard their names called a lot but if you watch the game their play was what they had been doing all week in practice.
Gaines DT is a powerful dude and he showed some moves during his playing time. Was doubled team and shed blocks to stop runs used his hands very well IMO.
Saunders DT does remind me a lot of Woods and he is going to make a roster. Has power and quickness and has shown his love for this game by staying and not going home until after practice and then was back for the game.
RockYa shin showed up all week and had a descent game tough dude and I think he could be coached up.
dalton Risner OT showed he is a top OT
Chuma Edogh OT looked really impressive to me should good hands and power during the week and it should up in the game.
I thought CN Inman played pretty well also and he may have moved himself up the charts depending on his time at the Combine
WR's Renfrow man he was all over the field and Deebo they both had a good week and a good game. Isabella also had him a good day along with Ross. Ross seems to be a really good route runner and watching him run it seems so natural. I wished Penny would have had more chance to showcase.
The QB's were meh to me I think Grier had the worst week and game and didnt really show what I seen through out his career. His throws were off and just never got in a rhythm IMO. I thought Finely and Jones had a good game. Finely just doesnt have an arm but he is accurate and make smart decisions. Jones had a very slow start but after he got it going I thought he played pretty well. Lock was pretty descent dont think he ever got into a groove though.
IMO i see Haskins as the 1st QB taken and either Jones or Lock next. It would really be good for us if those three are taken before we pick and maybe a reach for Grier or Finley so some other players get pushed down to us.
I thought caleb wilson had a pretty good game considering he came in late made some good catches.
Lonnie Johnson showed case himself and he reminds me of Norman cause he loves to talk lol
Sweat DE showed off in practice all week showing his moves and power. Didnt hear his name a lot but this kid has talent. Can get low and has power. He had a good game IMO. I also liked Fergueson from La Tech also during practice sessions.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
To me the best OL in the Senior Bowl was Chris Lindstrom. #75 Boston College. He literally dominated every man he faced. He plays RG. If he is there in the 2nd I would not be mad at all if Dallas took him with the intent to play him at LG. But if Saunders is there I would prefer getting him. Imagine he and Woods plugging the middle? During practice he pushed everyone back including once against Lindstrom. LG Collier during practice blew up people and he made some plays in the game. He is #91 from TCU.

All 3 of those guys are guys I am going to watch. Hope we get 1 of them.

DanA

Reaction score
Anybody else see Saunders backflip and after dominating the senior bowl practice really want him to be drafted by the Cowboys

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anybody else see Saunders backflip and after dominating the senior bowl practice really want him to be drafted by the Cowboys

There was a big player that did a standing backflip a few years ago that was amazing.

I think it was Clowney.