Senior Bowl

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How each quarterback fared on Day 2
Here's how Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and the rest of the Senior Bowl's signal-callers performed:

i

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
Team: North | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 4

Mayfield's instincts really stood out to me today. He's naturally gifted in that department, and 46 college starts have helped him sharpen the tool. Specifically, I thought Mayfield was identifying coverages quickly and anticipating throws. His two rail shots down the right and left sideline during 7-on-7 drills were prime examples. The second one -- down the left sideline -- was especially impressive because he knew the wind was directly into his face, and he adjusted the trajectory of his throw to help the ball cut through it.

The other thing that stood out to me was Baker's taking mental reps while another quarterback was taking the real reps. While standing slightly off to the side and about 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, Baker went through the entire pre- and post-snap process as if he were under center. When you're 6 feet tall and don't have an elite arm, you have to be better at the little things. It's what makes guys such as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson great.

Finally, I thought Mayfield's energy and charisma came out today in team drills as well. He's clearly getting settled in after absorbing a ton of new information on Tuesday. Wednesday was a good day for Baker. -- McShay

i

Josh Allen, Wyoming
Team: North | Uniform number: 17 | Overall QB ranking: 3

Like Mayfield, Allen got better as the practice went along. He continues to have ups and downs with accuracy, though, and it seemed like he might have been pressing in individual drills against Mayfield. He has been late a couple times with where he wants to go or has hung onto the ball too long, which I've seen on tape as well. Still, I thought he settled into a groove in team drills and made the most positive throws. Once again, his arm strength is a clear asset in windy conditions. -- McShay

i

Luke Falk, Washington State
Team: North | Uniform number: 3 | Overall QB ranking: 7

I'd contend that he has been the most consistent quarterback here. He's playing faster than other signal-callers and seems really relaxed on the practice field. He made a nice pump-fake on a rollout to his left, which got the defender in the air and allowed an easy completion. Like Mayfield, he does the little things well, and the talk of how fast Falk picks things up is showing up on the field. He throws a really catchable ball. It was another good day for him. -- McShay

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Team: South | Uniform number: 5 | Overall QB ranking: 8

He's clearly comfortable in the pocket and showed that again Wednesday in a red zone drill. He stood in there with the pocket collapsing from both sides and led his receiver on a slant for a touchdown. He has a good mental clock, and you see him gaining confidence. While he has only average mobility, there is enough to keep you intrigued. I still think he can push for a roster spot as a late pick. -- McShay

i

Kurt Benkert, Virginia
Team: South | Uniform number: 6 | Overall QB ranking: 9

It was an up-and-down day for Benkert. He has been the hardest quarterback to figure out because when things are right and he knows where he wants to go with the ball, he has been good. But he's also been very inconsistent. I thought he showed the least improvement from Day 1 to Day 2 and took some chances on throws that were unwarranted. -- McShay

i

Mike White, Western Kentucky
Team: South | Uniform number: 14 | Overall QB ranking: 10

White might have had the best day of the QBs, making some eye-opening throws. He had to ask the center who the middle linebacker was on a play, but you never know exactly what college quarterbacks are taught, so I'm less concerned with that. I thought he flashed a lot of potential on Wednesday. -- McShay

i

Brandon Silvers, Troy
Team: South | Uniform number: 12 | Overall QB ranking: 11

Even though Silvers made a couple of mistakes, he seemed more confident on Day 2. I liked that he was very coachable, incorporating things Bill O'Brien told him and using them in the next rep. When you're a potential Day 3 QB pick, it's important to show that you take coaching, digest it and use it. Teams that like Silvers' upside will notice that. -- McShay

i

Tanner Lee, Nebraska
Team: North | Uniform number: 13 | Overall QB ranking: 13

With an interception in team drills, Lee had another tough day. That said, he had a few more throws on Wednesday in which I could see why people were speaking so highly of him. He has flashed enough here to be considered a late-round selection. -- McShay

Iago33

Reaction score
It makes even less sense claiming I said such a thing.
You said you wouldn't take anyone in the first round if the four quarterbacks are off the board. The only way I can think of to take no one in round one is to trade out, unless you're advocating letting our pick just pass. I'm sure you have some semantic trick up your sleeve, though.

bodi

Reaction score
C Wilson, WR, Boise State

Darius Leonard LB, South Carolina State

give me one these guys

an as UDFA QB Silvers, Troy

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You said you wouldn't take anyone in the first round if the four quarterbacks are off the board. The only way I can think of to take no one in round one is to trade out, unless you're advocating letting our pick just pass. I'm sure you have some semantic trick up your sleeve, though.

I meant I wouldn't take another QB. I'm not forcing the pick.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft risers from Day 2
These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:

i

Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
Team: South | Uniform number: 88

Akins, a former minor league outfielder, is a big target who has a wide catching radius and solid ball skills. He showed good body control adjusting to a pass thrown behind him early and a low pass thrown behind him later in team drills. He's a smooth route runner who did a nice job of slipping the outside linebacker as he released and pushing the inside linebacker inside on the corner route he ran for a touchdown. -- Muench

i

Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama
Team: South | Uniform number: 39

At 176 pounds, Wallace is lean, and he's going to be pushed around at times unless he fills out his frame. That said, he has excellent length (33 3/8-inch arms), and he did a great job of reaching in with his left hand to break up a pass intended for Missouri wide receiver J'Mon Moore. Plus, Wallace flashed the ability to blanket receivers underneath because of his balance and ability to read the receiver. He might have been overshadowed in a secondary filled with star players at Alabama, but the former walk-on is standing out in Mobile. -- Muench

i

Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
Team: North | Uniform number: 59

Lewis is at his best when he lines up on the outside on early downs and kicks inside to rush the passer on passing downs. He had a strong day going up against the North interior offensive linemen in one-on-ones. He beat Virginia Tech guard Wyatt Teller, UCLA center Scott Quessenberry and Washington State guard Cole Madison, thanks to his ability to win with his hands. He does a nice job of working back inside when the quarterback starts to step up, and he's chasing with good effort. Like Wallace at Alabama, Lewis was surrounded by talent at Ohio State and is now making good use of the opportunity to show teams what he can do. -- Muench

i

Justin Jones, DT, NC State
Team: North | Uniform number: 27

There isn't a lot of nuance to Jones' game. While he flashed a decent spin move, his strength is his greatest asset, and he overwhelmed Madison with a bull rush during one-on-ones. He battled 340-pound UTEP guard Will Hernandez on consecutive reps. Jones also got good push in the run game and did a good job of getting down the line for a 311-pound tackle. -- Muench

i

Jamil Demby, OT, Maine
Team: North | Uniform number: 65

There were some downs for Demby. He lunged and whiffed when he kicked inside to right guard and faced off against NC State defensive tackle B.J. Hill, and he was beaten to the inside by Rutgers defensive end Kemoko Turay during team drills. However, the FCS offensive lineman is showing that he can compete at this level. He shot inside and rode to the ground Wisconsin outside linebacker Garret Dooley, who was caught leaning. Demby also did a nice job of pushing Oklahoma outside linebacker Obo Okoronkwo past the quarterback during team drills and one-on-ones. -- Muench

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best of the rest
Here are the prospects who flashed on Day 2, including two pass-rushers on different teams:

i

Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma
Team: North | Uniform number: 31

We already know that Okoronkwo can come off the ball. He has great burst -- and effort -- off the edge. Okoronkwo finishes every drill at full speed and tracks down the ball in team periods. But after Tuesday's practice session, I wanted to see more from Okoronkwo in one-on-one pass rush. That's what we got on Day 2. Okoronkwo flashed a deeper set of pass-rush moves at the point of attack. He utilized his length (34 1/4-inch arms) to separate from blockers and also showcased his quickness on a spin move to open up an inside path to the quarterback. Those are similar traits that made Dwight Freeney a dominant NFL pass-rusher. Given Okoronkwo's measurements (6-foot-1, 243 pounds), he isn't a perfect fit as an NFL edge rusher. I get it. But with the speed, continued development on counter moves and motor with which he plays, Okoronkwo could carve out a role on defense as a rookie and really impact special teams as a cover guy on kickoffs. -- Bowen

i

Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas San Antonio
Team: South | Uniform number: 93

Through the two most important practices of the week, Davenport has declared himself. He's the best player here. Long and explosive with a quick get-off, he can threaten offensive tackles with both speed and power. He was also able to advance the pass rush, even when an offensive lineman won initial leverage, which is what separates the great pass-rushers from the good ones. I watched his Baylor tape on Tuesday night, and he must've played 70 plays but was still making tackles for loss in the fourth quarter. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a top-15 pick. -- McShay

i

DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State
Team: North | Uniform number: 5

Hamilton stood out Wednesday because he continued to create separation as a route runner in both one-on-ones and team periods. He got open all day. I'm looking at the out cuts, inside breaking routes and quick game. Hamilton (6-foot-1, 202 pounds) has a smooth gait when he drives off the ball, and there is some wiggle in hips to set up defensive backs at the break point. Sink at the top of the route, and generate speed to pull away from the coverage. And then do it again. We will need to get a 40 time on Hamilton during the pre-draft process, but he showed the necessary game speed with that route-running skill set. It was an impressive day for the Penn State product. -- Bowen

i

Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
Team: North | Uniform number: 23

Watts has a smaller frame (5-foot-10, 191 pounds), but I liked his tape coming into this week's practice sessions in Mobile. He has some versatility to his game, and the speed and range are there to make plays over the top of the defense. Watts had an interception in Wednesday's practice and looked fluid in drills. He can transition from the deep middle of the field and play off the numbers as a two-high safety. He's athletic with good closing speed. Plus, Watts showed us that he can get nasty in the run front during third-down team period. Rolled down in the box, Watts dropped the hammer on Iowa running back Akrum Wadley. Fill the hole. Make good contact. And that's going to pop on practice film. -- Bowen

i

Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Team: North | Uniform number: 23

Penn State's Mike Gesicki is the highest-rated tight end in Mobile, but don't sleep on Thomas. The Indiana product has a thick frame (6-foot-3, 256 pounds), and he flashed his movement skills on Wednesday. Working against linebackers and safeties in coverage, Thomas used his athleticism to match up on middle-of-the-field routes. The footwork is there to run pivot and option routes. Thomas is quick to gain inside leverage with his hands, and I see enough speed to threaten defenses vertically on seam or corner routes. He didn't have a ton of production at Indiana -- only 28 career catches -- but I was impressed with his ability to run the inside route tree and gain the separation needed to give his quarterback a clean target. Good day of work for Thomas. -- Bowen

i

Kyzir White, S, West Virginia
Team: North | Uniform number: 28

At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds, White stands out during individual drills in the secondary with that long, athletic frame, and he's probably best suited to play in a zone-based defense. Think of the three-deep shells we see in Seattle or in Los Angeles with the Chargers. White can be that rolled-down strong safety to impact the run front or drive on the ball. He's a thumper on contact, an inside rover like a Kam Chancellor or Keanu Neal. White, however, showed the ability to play some deep third coverage this week and work as a Cover 2 defender. Yes, given his frame, White isn't going to have the transition speed like Watts showed Wednesday, but White is more flexible than I expected. With an interception in practice Tuesday and the movement skills to find the rock, he has put together a solid week. -- Bowen

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
i

Kyzir White, S, West Virginia
Team: North | Uniform number: 28

At 6-foot-2, 216 pounds, White stands out during individual drills in the secondary with that long, athletic frame, and he's probably best suited to play in a zone-based defense. Think of the three-deep shells we see in Seattle or in Los Angeles with the Chargers. White can be that rolled-down strong safety to impact the run front or drive on the ball. He's a thumper on contact, an inside rover like a Kam Chancellor or Keanu Neal. White, however, showed the ability to play some deep third coverage this week and work as a Cover 2 defender. Yes, given his frame, White isn't going to have the transition speed like Watts showed Wednesday, but White is more flexible than I expected. With an interception in practice Tuesday and the movement skills to find the rock, he has put together a solid week. -- Bowen

Woo hoo!

gmoney112

Reaction score
Hernandez supposedly destroying people.

Fort Hays St small school interior DL showing some game. Those are the fun stories.

Washington looking great.

Darin Neal may be a name you hear at CB

Shaq Griffin lost a friggin' hand and still looks like he could be something.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

And McShay is calling him the best player there.

Welcome to the NFL Draft.

I LOL at this phenomenon every year. Matt Miller refers to it as "confirmation bias season"

For every article or Tweet you find where some prospect is killing it, you'll find another one bashing that player.

For me, still very intrigued by Davenport, but he looks in over his head right now. I still think he's a first rounder, just not a top 10 pick. Combine might help him because I think his athleticism is his strongest selling point.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Five under-the radar prospects who could rise with a big week
Scouts Inc. NFL draft insider Steve Muench picks out a few prospects who could move up the draft board with solid practices in Mobile:

i

32. Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
Team: North | Uniform number: 84

Gallup set the school's single-season record (100) for receptions and finished sixth in the FBS in average receiving yards per game (108.7) in 2017. He shows deceptive burst after the catch, and it tends to take more than one defender to get him on the ground. A tough open-field runner with enough elusiveness to make a defender miss and the balance to bounce off contact, he also flashes the ability to make highlight-reel catches. -- Muench

i

33. Andrew Brown, DE, Virginia
Team: South | Uniform number: 99

Brown has the size, strength and length to set the edge against the run. He's an above-average tackler who has excellent instincts for a defensive lineman and chases with good effort. While he's not an explosive edge rusher, he has the hands and quickness to be disruptive when he kicks inside. Consistently playing with better pad level -- especially when he lines up on the inside -- and getting off blocks quicker are two areas with room for improvement. -- Muench

i

34. Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State
Team: North | Uniform number: 11

Wilson averaged 18.2 yards per catch in 2017 and ended the season on a tear, catching 25 passes for 503 yards over his last three games. He doesn't have an elite second gear and isn't an ankle breaker in space, yet he flashes some big-play ability. He's an above-average vertical route runner with a knack for making one-on-one plays downfield, plus he shows good quickness and open-field instincts. Throw in solid ball skills and Wilson has a chance to gain some traction in Mobile. -- Muench

i

35. Jordan Akins, TE, UCF
Team: South | Uniform number: 88

Akins is a former outfielder who pursued a professional baseball career after high school. He was a receiver who returned kicks his first two seasons at UCF before switching positions in 2016, and the athletic tight end is now listed at 6-4 and 262 pounds. He has the speed and hands to make plays down the seam in addition to the quickness and toughness to produce after the catch. He's still developing as a blocker and projects as more of a slot tight end than an in-line tight end at this point, but he has upside. -- Muench

i

36. Darrel Williams, RB, LSU
Team: South | Uniform number: 29

It's tough to get touches playing behind uber-talented backs Leonard Fournette and Derrius Guice. Williams started only six games in his four seasons at LSU and finished with 321 career carries. The Senior Bowl gives him the opportunity to step out of their shadows, and there's reason to be optimistic that he can take advantage. He averaged 5.7 yards per carry, rushed for nine touchdowns and flashed on tape in 2017. He doesn't have great explosiveness, but the big back follows his blocks, has good speed for his size and falls forward at the end of runs. -- Muench
Cedric Wilson came in alot shorter than expected...bummer. BSU had him listed @ 6'3 ....didn't even make it to 6'2