Senior Game News

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Whitehurst, Robinson guide North to Senior Bowl winAssociated Press

MOBILE, Ala. -- Charlie Whitehurst and Michael Robinson flashed different skills for the NFL scouts.

Jay Cutler just hopes he convinced them that he belongs among the nation's elite quarterbacks despite an uneven performance in the North's 31-14 victory over the South in the Senior Bowl on Saturday.

The Vanderbilt star was trying to catch Southern California's Matt Leinart and Texas' Vince Young, two All-Americans who didn't play in the showcase game for top senior NFL prospects.

"I belong in the same group with Leinart and Vince Young, up at the top," Cutler said when asked what he proved during the week's practices. "I think there's a lot of speculation if I can play at the next level with those guys. I think now everybody knows what kind of talent I have and where I might be at the draft."

While most of the quarterbacks struggled at times during the game, Whitehurst and Robinson managed to shine one way or another.

Robinson displayed the running ability that could bode well for a possible position move after a dazzling season at quarterback for Penn State. He led two touchdown drives with his legs, not his arm, and gained 63 yards on nine carries despite a sack.

"I just hope I showed people that I'm a football player and when coached I can go out there and you can put me anywhere and I can succeed," said Robinson, who also started at receiver and running back for the Nittany Lions during his college career. He was 1-of-3 passing for nine yards.

Whitehurst, the North's offensive MVP, directed a seamless drive after Cutler was ineffective on the first two series. The Clemson quarterback was perfect on five attempts for 66 yards, lofting a 15-yard scoring pass to Colorado tight end Joe Klopfenstein and finishing 7-of-9 for 90 yards.

"We were able to kind of methodically take it down the field and answer their first touchdown," Whitehurst said. "It got us back in the game and we were able to roll after that."

Nebraska's Daniel Bullocks recovered two muffed punts, grabbing one in the end zone for a score and setting up the final touchdown with the other in the fourth quarter.

It was a mostly quiet day for two of the top offensive NFL prospects, Cutler and Memphis tailback DeAngelo Williams. Cutler was just 6-of-19 for 69 yards and was intercepted in the end zone by Cedric Griffin of Texas to end the game's opening drive. Cutler did complete a 7-yard TD pass to Arizona State's Derek Hagan with 6:12 left after Bullocks' second fumble recovery.

Williams played sparingly but effectively with three carries for 31 yards. He also took a screen pass 28 yards in the fourth quarter and was the South's offensive MVP.

The overall MVP was Miami receiver Sinorice Moss of the South, who had three catches for 46 yards and a touchdown. He also ran 27 yards on a reverse and fell on a teammate's fumble, but he'd much rather have come up with a win after the Hurricanes' 40-3 Peach Bowl loss to LSU.

"It's burning me inside right now that I had to lose the football game," Moss said. "I even lost the last game of my Miami career, and I really hate losing."

The defensive MVPs were Georgia Tech's Gerris Wilkinson (South) and Penn State's Tamba Hali (North). Hali had two of the North's five sacks and Wilkinson also had a sack.

The game's two in-state quarterback products both threw touchdown passes for the South. UAB's Darrell Hackney hit a wide-open Devin Aromashodu of Auburn in the left corner of the end zone for a 17-yard score early in the fourth and Alabama's Brodie Croyle hit Moss for a 30-yard TD in the first.

Moss made a nifty juke on a defender to get open on the play.

Tight ends Dominique Byrd of Southern California and Klopfenstein were the North's top receivers. Byrd had four catches for 67 yards and Klopfenstein finished with three receptions for 39 yards.

The South managed only 179 yards as Croyle, Hackney and Georgia's D.J. Shockley all struggled at quarterback. BECAUSE THEY WERE GETTING KILLED BACK THERE!!!!!!!

Croyle stressed how hard it is to overcome turnovers. But, he added: "This game was for the fans, and I guess if you're a North team fan, you've got something to cheer about tonight."

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I liked Whitehurst the best of the QBs. I don't see what the Jay Cutler fuss is about.

VACowboy

Reaction score
junk said:
I liked Whitehurst the best of the QBs. I don't see what the Jay Cutler fuss is about.

My only prob with Whitehurst is arm strength. He's big, smart and accurate. Can't have it all, I guess.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
My only prob with Whitehurst is arm strength. He's big, smart and accurate. Can't have it all, I guess.

And I don't think he was anything special either. It was a pretty sad bunch of QBs at the Senior Bowl.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Saw parts of the game and...
Dominic Byrd-TE-USC looks like a can't miss. Tough and rugged and after watching about 8 games of his at USC he has the ability to make the spectacular catch look routine.
Cedric Griffin-Looked great on the int. I'm not as high on him as Michael Huff or Michael Griffin who is still at Texas.
Cutler-did not impress me. I did see the game against Florida this last season and was really impressed by him in that game. This outing yesterday was dissappointing.
Deangelo Williams-multi-purpose back that looks like another Tiki Barber type.
Ferguson-OT-Virginia-reminds me of Chris Samuels the OT for the skins. Great feet and long arms...can be bull rushed at around 300lbs though.
As far as the guys who were not at yesterday's game...
Leinart-I think in the right system this guy can flourish. But he is not mobile and his arm strength is not going to wow anybody.
Bush-A better version of Brian Westbrook. There was a reason he split carries with Lindell White. 1-White's obvious talent makes playing him a must. 2-Bush may not be an every down back(like Westbrook).
Vince Young-If Young would have played in the Senior Bowl game...he would have been the MVP. I know the tape does not lie, but it also does not do justice the speed or strength of this particular player. Just ask USC. Saying this player is like Michael Vick is a criticism not a compliment. You put Vince in a system like Jake Plummer has in Denver...His speed, strength and decision making would make him a huge success.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Senior Bowl Dish: Most intriguing prospects
Jan. 28, 2006 Print it

By War Room scouts

The players and coaches spent the day making final preparations for Saturday's game. Practices consisted of only a brief walkthrough and some last minute review, which gave us some time to review some of the high points of the week.

Most Intriguing Prospects

Running back Jerome Harrison of Washington State looked bad early this week when he weighed in at just 195 pounds. But once he got the pads on, he turned into an animal. He lit it up during the team's long scrimmage, showing good cutback ability and a strong burst, reminding some scouts of Curtis Martin. He sets up the cutback with great speed to the outside. He is more physical than his body would have you believe and has the frame to fill out and carry more weight. Scouts from several clubs asked if they could see Harrison at different positions and he obliged, taking reps at wide receiver, running back and as a kick returner. He dropped some passes, but he has good strength and speed and could be an early second day selection, and if he runs fast at workouts he could fight his way into the Day One mix.

Iowa's Chad Greenway is the best outside linebacker here in Mobile. He has 4.5 speed and has shown good versatility. He's a guy who can stand stout against the run, drop in coverage and will be an effective blitzer. In blitz pickup drills this week he showed the ability to consistently beat the blocks of the backs. Think Mike Vrabel with speed.

We told you earlier this week about Notre Dame wide receiver Maurice Stovall. He stole the show all week long. He showed great body control, making several acrobatic catches and has shown some burst off the line.

Ohio State center Nick Mangold also played well. He reminds us of Steve Everett, the former Michigan center, but bigger. He's tenacious, and even got in a fight during the week. But that edge may be the thing that will make him the top center in this draft. He has the talent to start as a rookie at the next level.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher and many of the scouts were impressed with Michigan defensive tackle Gabe Watson, who was fantastic throughout the week. The only offensive guard who seemed to hold his own against Watson during the week was USC's Deuce Latui.

There only appear to be five or six tight ends who have grades that would garner them day one consideration at this point. One who may have worked his way into that group this week is Colorado's Joel Klopfenstein. He's big (6-5, 243), athletic and he can catch. He had 32 catches as a senior and a team-high four touchdown receptions. Think Kyle Brady with soft hands.

Passing Notes

Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler has had quite a week and has been the best at his position this week, leading to speculation that he could possibly climb into the top ten in this year's draft. As the hype built, former USC and current Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow was asked if Cutler is better than USC's Matt Leinart. It's not even close. He has some inconsistencies in his footwork, is undisciplined and hasn't been coached to the level that Leinart has. Cutler is more in the mold of a Jake Plummer. He's had a very good week in Mobile and helped himself considerably. The feeling amongst many scouts here is that he could very well be better than Vince Young, but he is not the top QB in this draft.

Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst has impressed scouts with excellent mechanics. Whitehurst was coached by his dad in high school and the old "coach's son" axiom seems to hold true here. He came to Mobile despite being only 75 percent healed from shoulder surgery in December. He's been limited this week, but he will be completely healed by the time the final workouts come around. The injury could actually help him. He will have a late workout to make sure the shoulder is healed, giving him plenty of time to prepare. He will also be one of the last players to work out before the draft, and could leave a lasting impression with a good showing. Arizona State's Andrew Walter was in the same position last year and got drafted in the third round.

Georgia's D.J. Shockley has been fading as the week has progressed and seems to be suffering from some arm fatigue. He and UAB's Darrell Hackney have done little to improve their status this week.

Alabama's Brodie Croyle did, however. He has shown good technique, a strong arm and excellent leadership skills. The general feeling amongst scouts at this point is that he won't last until the third round.

neosapien23

Reaction score
junk said:

Culter has a good agent. Just like PacMan Jones who was didn't merit his high selection last year. I think Cutler's agent might have a few connections so Mel Kiper and the rest of the ESPN nation are over hyping him.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I saw Kiwi get both his sacks against a nobody tackle, and a tight end. I liked Anderson and Darryl Tapp better.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I saw Kiwi get both his sacks against a nobody tackle, and a tight end. I liked Anderson and Darryl Tapp better.

I don't think Kiwi played.

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm kind of glad to hear Greenway get some compliments. I have no idea if he would be a good fit in the 3-4, but the Vrabel comparison should help. I just like productive players, and he has been.