Serial Killer BTK Pleads Guilty...

royhitshard

Reaction score
Rader calls killings 'sexual fantasy'

BY LORI O'TOOLE BUSELT
The Wichita Eagle

Dennis Rader, the man accused as Wichita's notorious BTK serial killer, minutes ago pleaded guilty to 10 counts of murder in Sedgwick County Courthouse in downtown Wichita.

District Judge Greg Waller is requiring Rader to describe the killings in detail.

Rader said the first incident, in which he killed four members of the Otero family, was part of a "sexual fantasy." After cutting the phone lines at the house, he nearly lost his nerve and left, but "the door opened, and I was in."

Thirty minutes into the hearing, he was still describing his actions in the Otero house.

Before the hearing began at 9 a.m., the courtroom was silent in the gallery. District Attorney Nola Foulston joked with her assistant, Georgia Cole. Lead investigator Lt. Ken Landwehr laughed.

Rader gave a nod as he entered the courtroom and took his seat by the defense counsel. He asked for a glass of water.

Prosecutors remained standing. Foulston whispered to Chief of Police Norman Williams.

Rader whispered to Sara McKinnon, one of his public defenders.

Only the sound of the air conditioning whirling and a few coughs.

As Rader listened to each charge, answering that he understood each accusations by saying, "Yes, your honor," or "Yes, sir."

Landwehr watched intently.

Kelly Otis, another lead investigator, leaned forward with his head bowed and eyes closed.

Some members of the victims' families wiped tears from their eyes.

Rader hung his head for a moment at times while Waller read charges, including the names of the victims and the dates of their deaths.

After Waller read the 10th charge -- Jan. 18 to Jan. 19, 1991 -- Rader said he wanted a correction to Jan. 19, 1991.

Waller asked Rader if he understood that if there is a trial the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Rader is guilty and that he does not have to prove that he is not guilty.

"Yes, sir," Rader answered.

Waller read a statement that said that Rader has had 18 years of education and has entered into no plea negotiations.

The 60-year-old Park City man is charged with killing 10 people from 1974 to 1991 and eluding capture for three decades.

The killer nicknamed himself BTK for "bind, torture and kill" in a series of letters and rambling poems sent to the public and police, beginning in 1974 and ending in February with Rader's arrest.

The family of the victims gathered earlier this morning at the courthouse, as well as media from across the nation and overseas, who had set up tents on the courthouse's front lawn.

Defendants start out the judicial process with a constitutional right to be presumed innocent until the state proves its case.

That's why when Rader stood silent at his arraignment in May, Sedgwick County District Judge Greg Waller had no choice but to enter a not guilty plea.

But defendants often change their pleas to a judge.

The judge then decides if the facts support that plea. The judge also has to be satisfied that the plea has been made willingly, tell the accused of any rights that may be forfeited, and determine whether the defendant is mentally competent to make that decision.

Rader appeared this morning wearing a bulletproof vest under a light-colored suit. He appeared relaxed, occasionally smiling and swishing water in his mouth.

The Eagle is publishing an extra edition that will be available today between noon and 1 p.m. at major grocers, convenience stores and some coin racks. Continue to visit kansas.com for updates throughout the day and read Tuesday's Eagle.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
He should be hung publicly on the court house square, soon, right beside a copy of the 10 Commandments.

Hoov

Reaction score
WV, if he had done something to one of your family members and was proud of it....would you say screw the system and take him out yourself. I think I would.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Hoov said:
WV, if he had done something to one of your family members and was proud of it....would you say screw the system and take him out yourself. I think I would.
Hoov, I just tried to imagine what I would do, ... I couldn't imagine being in their shoes.

He told how he hung a girl, and then raped her while she hung there.

Nobody wants to put me in charge, because I would let you take him out Hoov.