Serious question about Stephen

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He is following the Belichick methodology. The Cowboys just aren't as good at implementing it as Belichick.

We did see some Belichick like coaching from Dan Quinn with regards to getting the best from players.
- Marinelli would never have used Parsons as a pass rusher.
- Quinn got a lot out of rookies and fringe NFL players on the interior DL.
- Much of the improvement of Diggs was based on scheme changes which allowed Diggs to be a play maker.
- Rookie CB Joseph was well prepared when he had to start a game (-2 yards receiving allowed).

Belichick methodology minus a coach like Belichick. LOL

Or really, minus the GOAT at QB. Pats made some franchise recoveries last year, but have never been the same since Brady left.

Reminds me of my Spurs and Tim Duncan. Not taking anything away from the coaches, someone has to run the team well, but easy to look like a great franchise when you have one of the best players ever continually starting.

Creeper

Reaction score
Stephen is no fool, he has a degree in chemical engineering and played ball in Arkansas. So he knows a little something about football and is definitely book smart for sure.

BUT, it doesn’t look like he is a risk taker or as business savvy like daddy. So, I can only surmise that he is both conservative and analytical with the team’s business decisions.

What say you?

This does surprise me. Chem E. is a tough curriculum to get through. You cannot slouch your way through it so Stephen must have some brains in his head. Maybe he is just a cheapskate by nature and risk averse. Whatever their philosophy I am certain Jerry and Stephen believe it is the best strategy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know this may sound like a really weird theory, but I thought of it this afternoon when paying my electric bill. Maybe Chuckles has a serious hangup like I do about owing people money or the feeling of "not being in the clear"....how in the hell else could you explain his phobia of trying to win the Cap Bowl every year....I am beginning to wonder if he acts as if this is his money and does this in his personal life too. I pay bills the second they are e-mailed to me and do not like the feeling of being beholden to anyone for anything monetarily. The refusal to do ANYTHING big in Free Agency is very, very, very strange...maybe it has nothing to do with any theory on how to build a team, and simply the way his chuckle head is wired.
We did a ton in FA. Most of it was just resigning our own guys. Which we did a fantastic job of picking the right guys and getting good contracts.

Proof

Reaction score
I know this may sound like a really weird theory, but I thought of it this afternoon when paying my electric bill. Maybe Chuckles has a serious hangup like I do about owing people money or the feeling of "not being in the clear"....how in the hell else could you explain his phobia of trying to win the Cap Bowl every year....I am beginning to wonder if he acts as if this is his money and does this in his personal life too. I pay bills the second they are e-mailed to me and do not like the feeling of being beholden to anyone for anything monetarily. The refusal to do ANYTHING big in Free Agency is very, very, very strange...maybe it has nothing to do with any theory on how to build a team, and simply the way his chuckle head is wired.

i’ve actually been wondering if he has a legal conservatorship over jerry

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I don't know why people say Jerry and Stephen are cheap, they are not. If given the freedom they'd spend $400 million, even $800 million I would be willing to guess.

The issue is the lack of "hard yards". Surely we all know that?

GMs around the league work hours beyond our comprehension whereas Stephen is on the gin and tonic by 2:30. I don't blame him, if I was minted I'd be on the G&T by 12:00.

Bottom line, part time GM means poor evaluation of league prospects, terrible free agency and massive, massive, massive over-evaluation of our own players followed by stupid contracts.

We all know this, it's just getting comfortable now accepting it as Cowboys fans

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
I see the "Kool-Aid" drinking supporters of Steve Jones boast often about how smart he is because of his degree in chemical engineering. That does NOT mean anything when it comes to managing an NFL football team. Indeed, about all that degree really means is that he is a very good candidate for a job in the CE industry. He is more likely to succeed at that than the majority of people. But it does NOT mean he can put good football roster and coaching staff together. I personally have college degrees....advanced degrees...in my field but I would be terrible (like Steve has been thus far) at managing a football team.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
the problem with the Jones' clowns is that, there isn't a camera or radio show etc etc, that they will turn their back on, it's all about the fame and power with those two, and the illusion that they are football smart.

secondly it's all about the money coming from AT&T stadium, that's really their pride and joy, the team comes after that.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
He reminds me of one of those people who made it through the Depression but was changed forever by it, to the extent that economizing over rides every other impulse. And Jerry's more like the roaring 20's generation that was all about excess, drinking, impregnating randos and then disowning his children, etc.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score

Scared men never win big in life.

Scared is putting your 401k away for 30 years which gets you to comfortable. That’s fine - most people are built like that and Stephen could very well be a comfort guy.

Say what you want about Jerry and I always say plenty but risk is what makes you wealthy and he’s always taken risks. I’m sure you know the story after he bought the Cowboys he tried to rent a car but his credit card was declined because he was so leveraged.

You could be right , Stephen might be exactly who you think he might be which will get us exactly to 8-8 every year which is the very essence of comfortable - but it won’t win you SB’s.

Just ask the Rams.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
An 18 million dollar RB under preforms. A 20 million dollars DE under performs. A 20 million dollar WR under performed. A 40 million dollar QB struggles at times. A 10 million dollar RT was mixed up in some things. Well heck I'd start to be cheap too. Because that's about 45% of your cap right there.

When you're an idiot in over your head, and don't know what you're doing, you tend to err on the side of caution. Stevie right there in a NUTshell.....with emphasis on the "nut" part. But he still manages to screw things up........refer back to the nut part.

khiladi

Reaction score
'Mannix' - My thinking is that
A) S. Jones remembers the bad trades and FA acquisitions orchestrated by his father before his roles in the franchise football operations expanded - he doesn’t want to repeat those errors;
B) He is trying to emulate Bill Belichick in his method of acquiring player talent that come with no high price tags - guys that show potential to get better.

Stephen Jones has been sitting with the “inner circle” with Father Garrett and Lacewell since Jimmy Johnson left this franchise. He’s been part of the dumb decisions for decades. Larry Lacewell used to say Stephen could be GM of any of the 32 teams in the league.

In fact, Stephen considers modern free agency and the salary cap the greatest thing to happen to the Cowboys, even though it completely drained the franchise if the talent. He basically said, since he was young, and it was a new thing, this gave him an edge on other football folk in the industry for years.

"How did you get good at the salary cap? There was no one else in the sport doing this. Did you reach out to other pro sports team front office executives? Did you just figure it out as you went?" asked Doney.

“It was the greatest thing that ever happened to us I think and why we were successful, although a lot of it came right before the cap, but it was a new system, and so no one knew it,” Jones said. “George Young didn’t know it, Bill Polian didn’t know it, and of course, it’s a lot easier to learn something when you’re young.”

How could this be the greatest thing to happen to the Cowboys, when it led to the complete disaster of mediocrity for decades?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/blue-star/one-on-one-with-stephen-jones/2681532/

It seems like Stephen thinks he’s the guru of the salary cap.

Last edited: