Serious Question: Is Dak better now than Romo in his prime?

btcutter

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is even better than rookie Dak. He has regressed.. i don't know if it's because defenses have figured him out, he has become less mobile, and the offensive pass scheme has confused him. But no, he ain't better than prime Romo.

Dak as rookie was a check down machine. Literally a bus driver 99% of the time and let players around him make plays.

Recently Dak is "trying" to "take over". Maybe buying into hype or team needs him to "do more". He is definitely trying to push the ball down the field more.....good or bad.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                        Pass                Rush                 Rece
Rk         Player From   To AV  G   QBrec  Cmp  Att Cmp%   Yds  TD Rate Lng Int  Sk  Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att  Yds TD Y/A Lng  Rec Yds TD  Y/R Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 77 85 53-32-0 1924 2889 66.6 22083 143 98.7  90  50 176 1036 7.6 7.85 6.87  7.07 307 1460 25 4.8  42    1  11  1 11.0  11
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 72 83 47-30-0 1672 2592 64.5 20834 149 96.9  80  72 142  887 8.0 7.94 7.30  7.20 156  461  4 3.0  17    0  11       0  11
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

Here is Dak's career vs the first 6 seasons that Romo actually played. So Romo has the advantage of having 2 years to sit and learn and work on his mechanics and learn the offense while Dak got thrown in.

Dak's numbers are all better.

Per Game Numbers
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                       
                                                        Pass          Rush
Rk         Player From   To  Cmp  Att   Yds  TD Int  Sk  Yds  Att  Yds  TD
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 22.6 34.0 259.8 1.7 0.6 2.1 12.2  3.6 17.2 0.3
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 20.1 31.2 251.0 1.8 0.9 1.7 10.7  1.9  5.6 0.0
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

PLAYOFFS /Jim Mora voice

HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                  
                                                                                            Pass                Rush
Rk         Player From   To G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A  Att Yds TD Y/A Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 4 1-3-0  89 146 61.0 1048  6 87.9  44   3  9  69 7.2 7.08 6.32  6.22   14  72  3 5.1  17
2       Tony Romo 2006 2009 4 1-3-0  80 135 59.3  832  4 80.8  36   2 12  98 6.2 6.09 4.99  4.93    7  21  0 3.0  11
</PRE>

You should know by now Facts have no place in this argument its as emotional as it gets....anyone who doesn't have an agenda (either way mind you) knows they are both good and had (one still has) the same albatross hanging from the neck keeping any hope of success from happening.

Reactions: Ken

DFWJC

Reaction score
You should know by now Facts have no place in this argument its as emotional as it gets....anyone who doesn't have an agenda (either way mind you) knows they are both good and had (one still has) the same albatross hanging from the neck keeping any hope of success from happening.
Some truth there.

However, to be fair, Ken's stats were not facts as they apply to the question of the thread "is Dak now better than Romo at his best"

1) The reduced data set of their 1st 6 years played included 6 games of Romo as a QB when he was only a special teams player. Yet it counted them as if he was a starting QB

2) Data ended in 2011 and 2009 for playoffs.....so not remotely his best like the thread asked. His best was in 2014--playoffs too
If Dak ever leads the league in PR during both the regular season and playoffs, he will match 2014 on paper...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Some truth there.

However, to be fair, Ken's stats were not facts as they apply to the question of the thread "is Dak now better than Romo at his best"

1) The reduced data set of their 1st 6 years played included 6 games of Romo as a QB when he was only a special teams player. Yet it counted them as if he was a starting QB

2) Data ended in 2011 and 2009 for playoffs.....so not remotely his best like the thread asked. His best was in 2014--playoffs too
If Dak ever leads the league in PR during both the regular season and playoffs, he will match 2014 on paper...

my point is some will say "Romo is better than Dak because of x stat" which over a career are very similar then the comback is "Dak is better than Romo because of x stat" which once again is very similar over a career...which shows out in the career W/L because they both played for the same x factor guy running the same circus. When anyone without an agenda to push can clearly see both play QB well enough to win for a franchise that has a FO who knows how to win.... even if they play different styles...the failure is in the common denominator is my point and that is not at the QB position.

CWR

Reaction score
Some truth there.

At the same time, you have to give Dak credit for coming in year one. He was afforded a great oline etc, but was not given the benefit of years to develop. Unfortunately, there's no fair way to stat out their respective starts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
At the same time, you have to give Dak credit for coming in year one. He was afforded a great oline etc, but was not given the benefit of years to develop. Unfortunately, there's no fair way to stat out their respective starts.
True.
I do suspect starting all those years in the SEC helped him up the development curve, relatively speaking. But he really did take the reigns and run with it.

pitt33

Reaction score
i think dallas will face the stark reality after this coming season . Don't see the team doing much and will be lucky to get to the playoffs. Dak's limitations were very clear in the last few years . the injury distracted his on field limitations. If dallas has a bad season , which could be as bad as 7-10 by the way, dallas should look into another QB first rounder . Or Maybe grab baker mayfield as a transition ,. i think baker can ignite this offense and make better use of the receivers/.
Not so sure about Baker but a high first rounder is imperative.

Look at Buffalo now with Allen. They are set for years to come. I truly believe the Bills are going to win a SB.

Real soon.

Bet the house on it…just not my house.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not so sure about Baker but a high first rounder is imperative.

Look at Buffalo now with Allen. They are set for years to come. I truly believe the Bills are going to win a SB.

Real soon.

Bet the house on it…just not my house.
If they win the coin flip with KC they may already be SB Champs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
XU4hjfx.gif

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They're essentially the same player. Tough pill to swallow, but no one "carries the team." The team must be balanced & complete. The fascination to trash whoever the current QB is, is rooted deep within that person's psychology and in many cases is a red flag illustrating their psychosis.
Imagine this is a food forum and there's a thread about brussel sprouts. When I was young, made to finish my plate and got sick - I never let go of that and the smell makes me ill. I rewrote my DNA to have an internal and inherent hatred for them parallel with a fear of snakes.
That's just like the obsession to trash specific players 24-7, nonstop in a team's fan forum. To the degree people are moving past arguing on the internet with some other knucklehead to talking about fighting like it's an after school event.
I'm not a Dr. but I'm fairly certain I can beat it out of them.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You do know those same "facts" you're referring to would lead one to believe both Dak AND Romo are easily better than Staubach and Aikman, right? I think you should research a tad before you blindly jump on the side of someone.

Even someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick blow Aikman and Staubach out of the water when it comes to "stats".

I don't think the "stats" hill is the one you want to make your stand on.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't think the "stats" hill is the one you want to make your stand on.

Stats are a tool. Like any tool it can be used in various ways. Especially when there are so many stats to choose from.

Like having rings. Jason Garrett has 2 rings so he was obviously a better qb than Dan Marino, who has none, right?

:thumbup:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Stats are a tool. Like any tool it can be used in various ways. Especially when there are so many stats to choose from.

Like having rings. Jason Garrett has 2 rings so he was obviously a better qb than Dan Marino, who has none, right?

:thumbup:
Stats are used to help casuals follow the game.

The people that get paid for player evaluation don't base everything around a players stats. They are a VERY small piece of a bigger picture.

If stats were used to judge talent then a QB like Josh Allen would have never been drafted considering his college stats in the MWC.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak as rookie was a check down machine. Literally a bus driver 99% of the time and let players around him make plays.

Recently Dak is "trying" to "take over". Maybe buying into hype or team needs him to "do more". He is definitely trying to push the ball down the field more.....good or bad.
true , but the results are abysmal against good defenses and in crucial games. next season should be a decider on what Dak can and cannot do as the excuses have to end.