Serious scenario with Dalton

HotDog37

Reaction score
Is this the thread where we worry about what we do if Andy Dalton wins the Super Bowl?

giphy.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Let me get this straight..

You have two of the highest paid linemen in the league and have invested heavily into the O line in draft capital..

You have a top2 paid RB..

You have a top 3 paid WR and drafted a 1st round WR..

You paid 30M to your QB..

And you're still going to pin the blame on the defense? Really?

LOL...……..yah. You just rattled off how talented the offense is. How could it be their fault that the team is losing?
Unless of course you are going to say the HC is not using them properly. Which of course we know to be an issue.

cern

Reaction score
Andy just wants his kids in the highland park school district. Go scots.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let’s suppose Dak signs the tag and intends on playing the year out on the FT. Let’s also suppose Dak bets on himself once too often and suffers a season ending injury the first play of the game, but the prognosis is a full recovery to 100 percent the following year.

Now, just for the sake of this exercise let’s assume that Dalton steps into this loaded team, wins at least 12 games and goes on to win the Super Bowl, what do you do?

You can’t tag both Prescott AND Dalton. Both would be worth two firsts in a trade scenario if they are locked up under contract.

It would be far better to have Prescott under contract than not. You could tag Dalton and get a kings ransom for one or the other. And that has a real possibility of happening.
The Eagles did not get a pick for Nick Foles...

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Let’s suppose Dak signs the tag and intends on playing the year out on the FT. Let’s also suppose Dak bets on himself once too often and suffers a season ending injury the first play of the game, but the prognosis is a full recovery to 100 percent the following year.

Now, just for the sake of this exercise let’s assume that Dalton steps into this loaded team, wins at least 12 games and goes on to win the Super Bowl, what do you do?

You can’t tag both Prescott AND Dalton. Both would be worth two firsts in a trade scenario if they are locked up under contract.

It would be far better to have Prescott under contract than not. You could tag Dalton and get a kings ransom for one or the other. And that has a real possibility of happening.

I am confused how this would even work. I'm your scenario Dak is on the tag and Dalton is on a one year deal. They both would be free agents so you would have to sign at least one of them and franchise the other. That means the team would need at least $60 million in cap space available to hold onto both qbs. After Dalton having a year like that he is gonna want to be paid close to what Dak wants now (if not more).

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Clearly, lad, Dalton is inslirational.
Dak is all confident and scheet.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I would celebrate.

BIGS87

Reaction score
Do you let Dak run with the ball more, now that you have a starting qb as backup ?

Beaker42

Reaction score
Hypotheticals. Just one of the many things that I bring to this board. You’re welcome. Lol.
You let them both go and draft the highest-rated QB coming out and make him your starter.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let me get this straight..

You have two of the highest paid linemen in the league and have invested heavily into the O line in draft capital..

You have a top2 paid RB..

You have a top 3 paid WR and drafted a 1st round WR..

You paid 30M to your QB..

And you're still going to pin the blame on the defense? Really?
if the offense goes on averaging 30 pts a game. they did their job. if the defense gives up 30+, then yes, its on the defense.

joshjwp

Reaction score
I think I would attempt to sign Dalton and then franchise Dak and trade him. If that didn't work I think I'd franchise Dalton and let Dak walk. I wouldn't want to make the mistake the Eagles did. Also, Dak probably would net the higher comp pick even though that is a very small thing to consider in this equation.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
So you’re saying the Prescott/Romo scenario will come full circle?

If that happens under the franchise tag, Dak will walk. If Dak signs a multi year deal, I’d imagine we would be forced to let Dalton walk. Dak would be unmovable due to the salary cap implications.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Question: If Dak signs and Dalton stays as insurance for this year.
And Dalton sings a big deal to be another teams starter next year...

Where would that leave the Cowboys in regards to a Comp pick in the draft?