Service Pack 2

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I have run out of patience with M$. I have successfully installed the SP2 on 4 out 5 PCs. It should be a painless process but it is anything but. It was very quirky and it appeared to be rushed, ***? I call M$ and googled for the solution all to no avail. Every time I try to install it on the last puter it flips out after reboot with an "explorer - application error".

Is anyone else having problems with SP? If this crap keeps up I will probably be going with Linux for good.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jacs said:
i have no problems with Win XP SP2
4 out of 5 machines I didn't but so far even M$ doesn't know what is going on. Here is the exacted error message.
The instruction at "0X77d4ecc6" referenced memory at "0X77d4ecc6". The memory could not be "written". Explorer.exe - Application error

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Thanks B but I came across all of the IE error stuff and it is not related.

The closest thing I got from google was an unanswered question nearly identical to mine. I will give it another try this weekend and if it doesn't work then I am pretty confident in my puter skillz to live without it. If all else fails there is always linux. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
Thanks B but I came across all of the IE error stuff and it is not related.

The closest thing I got from google was an unanswered question nearly identical to mine. I will give it another try this weekend and if it doesn't work then I am pretty confident in my puter skillz to live without it. If all else fails there is always linux. :)

Are these computers all running the same software and basically the same hardware?

If so you maybe able to take one of the hard drives you have already updated....and ghost it to the one you are having a problem with...actually even if the hardware is different windows will make most changes as long as the power supplies and memories are the same if I remember correctly.

This is how we did stuff at work when we were upgrading software (novell and other stuff) ....we put allthe software we wanted on it, set up the network connections (tcp/ip and so on) then updated the windows and virus protection....then took that main primary hd and ghosted it to all the other computers...then we just had to change the tcp/ip settings and a few changes in the registry.

We keep that extra hard drive around and if we get any software problems that a quick fix will not work on we just re-ghost the problem computers hard drive.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Are these computers all running the same software and basically the same hardware?

If so you maybe able to take one of the hard drives you have already updated....and ghost it to the one you are having a problem with...actually even if the hardware is different windows will make most changes as long as the power supplies and memories are the same if I remember correctly.

This is how we did stuff at work when we were upgrading software (novell and other stuff) ....we put allthe software we wanted on it, set up the network connections (tcp/ip and so on) then updated the windows and virus protection....then took that main primary hd and ghosted it to all the other computers...then we just had to change the tcp/ip settings and a few changes in the registry.

We keep that extra hard drive around and if we get any software problems that a quick fix will not work on we just re-ghost the problem computers hard drive.
Brain, that is a lot of work and I just don't have the time with all of the stuff that is going on between Home, school, and work.

The other 4 are roughly the same hardware/software wise. The fifth computer (the unupgradeable one) is different hardware wise, it has the AMD64 processor and is running dual channel ddr.

I will do a little more troubleshooting but if I can't find out what is wrong I won't have a problem living without it. I am just pissed that M$ released another half azz effort.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Don't know if this helps but.... I had trouble on one of my computers very similar to what you are talking about. I have the computers at home networked... I had no problem w/ SP2 being installed on the kids computers, but when it came to mine (the server) it wigged out. After doing some major troubleshooting, I came up with a solution... found out there was an issue w/ SP2 and Norton Internet Security... Had to unstall it before installing the SP2... I updated all software and hardware drivers, took the computer offline and then installed the SP2.. everything when smooth, put the computer back online and haven't had any trouble since.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Thanks CPrincess.

I am not running any Norton software. However, I am pretty sure it is some type of software conflict but I have so much software that I don't know where to start. For the time being I will wait and see if M$ comes up with explanation. Thanks again.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I installed it on mine with no issues, but my wife can't get it to install at all. The difference between hers and mine is I'm running XP Home, and she's running XP Professional.

I'm not certain if that's THE issue, but it may be an issue.

Hers would download and start to install but it took forever, quit halfway through, flipped out on her and rebooted. She would get an error screen on reboot, and have to sit and wait while it repaired the previous configuration.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
DLK150 said:
I installed it on mine with no issues, but my wife can't get it to install at all. The difference between hers and mine is I'm running XP Home, and she's running XP Professional.

I'm not certain if that's THE issue, but it may be an issue.

Hers would download and start to install but it took forever, quit halfway through, flipped out on her and rebooted. She would get an error screen on reboot, and have to sit and wait while it repaired the previous configuration.
Thanks for the input. My puter has XP professional and 2 of the other computers are running XP home. It might be the cause but I will wait contently until they iron out all of the bugs before I try again.

doomsday_II

Reaction score
I installed it without any problems on two xp pro's. I did read you should wait to install until after MS started making it available through automatic update in order to resolve some issues; which I believe was the very end of last month. If you downloaded it quiet abit before the end of September, I might try another download. Also, If you can wait another month or so and try a MS free sp2 CD, just make sure you have xp1, and the 3 critical patches KB835732, KB823980, KB833987 and you will be fine. If your have these 3 updates and keep an anti-virus and firewall updated, sp2 is actually pretty worthless imo since its focus is on security.

Another route if you haven't reformated your hard drive in awhile is two slipsteam sp2 into the OS and burn it, then do a clean install. Don't know if this would help but at least it would save you some installation time in the future.