Shadow Draft

Proof

Reaction score
I'm a fan of our draft outside of the Liufau pick. Would have preferred an RB, or the proposed trade back, but all in all I'm happy with what they did.

With the benefit of hindsight, how would you have liked the draft to go each round knowing who was available?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't have a major issue with any of the selections. If I were in charge we probably would have stayed put at 24 and taken Barton, but I'm not mad at all with the two guys we got from that deal.

Even the Liufau pick I don't hate. He's someone I didn't know much about before the draft. After watching some tape on him I see a guy who probably never makes a pro bowl, but has a high floor. He probably contributes right away as a rotational and special teams guy. My fear is that's what he is his entire career, but as a late 3rd it's certainly not a waste of a pick if that's all he is.

Honestly had the Cowboys done more in free agency to supplement the roster I don't there are as many people bashing this class. There seem to be more complaints about what positions they didnt take than complaints about the players they selected.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm a fan of our draft outside of the Liufau pick. Would have preferred an RB, or the proposed trade back, but all in all I'm happy with what they did.

With the benefit of hindsight, how would you have liked the draft to go each round knowing who was available?
Man I truly don't do this stuff I hate the hindsight look backs and the redrafts 3 years from now it's kind of for not and I know this is for entertainment..

so,

the only thing I think I would do 100% different and now this is without seeing the linebacker play but I think they should have had three linebackers in mind at that spot but trade it down out of the 3rd,

picked up maybe a fourth round pick and a fifth round pick, that was much higher than our own fifth round pick which was basically in in the sixth round... I mean I don't know how they're doing this now they call that around when there's only 32 teams in the league and somehow there's 40 picks and we were like past 32 I know that that was like one of those extra comp picks and then what I would have done it's got that linebacker in the fourth round and got right at the top of the fifth round when there were still at least 4 running backs left and got our running back in the fifth round..

Outside of that I'm not a professional none of us are scouts on how these guys are gonna actually play but I agree the linebacker like the debate on whether he would have been there later or a guy at least on his level would have been there and you could have picked him up in the fourth round by trading your last third round pick the one we used on him and got two additional picks and in those rounds running backs were available they all went around the 4th and fifth round that would have been something that would have been pretty damn smart..

blueblood70

Reaction score
A RB would have been nice. They even could have taken a flyer on one instead of picking a 3rd OL in the 6th round.
Well for one in the sixth rounds I don't agree I don't see the big difference in the guy Pete that we just picked up in the sixth or seventh round versus undrafted I think he's as good as any of those ones that were left hell most of the running backs that were left in the final two rounds never got drafted they literally were the all the undrafted lists which was very big but I would have got a running back in the fifth round but we didn't pick till like 40th in the fifth round so they would have had to trade out of that second third round slot and picked up a fourth rounder and a fifth rounder that would be my scenario and with one of those picks you get the linebacker and the running back that for sure would have been smarter in my opinion....

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

They clearly really wanted the LB and did not want to risk losing this particular player. So barring injury, they expect this guy to contribute immediately.

VACowboy

Reaction score
A RB would have been nice. They even could have taken a flyer on one instead of picking a 3rd OL in the 6th round.
I dunno. Manyweather loves him some Nathan Thomas, and I'm on board with any OL that Duke loves. I like all the picks, actually, and think that RB is the easiest position to succeed at with an average player. Fix the OL and Rico/Zeke will average four and a half yards, at least. I'm a big Kingsley Suamataia fan though and if I'm in charge we trade down again into the early second round and pick up a fourth-rounder.

35'ish. Suamataia
87. Jaylen Wright
mid-4th: Liufau

The rest stays the same.

Last edited:

Brooksey

Reaction score

For the first time in a long time, I liked all the picks, Liafu was the correct pick.
You can go one round early to get your guy in the 4th,5th,6th. We had some nice value picks like the first rd trade and the Carson pick.

I love how everyone on the board is such a bargain hunting value guy come draft time, but in FA they wanna blow 12M/Year on 30 year old RB's.

The truth is they're very miserable people no matter what you do

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keeping the trade down as I loved the extra high 3rd rounder

1. Guyton - was best OT available and they seem to feel comfortable with his negatives.

2. Colson - LB Mich - Kneeland might end up great and definitely fits a need but would feel better with this LB over the one we drafted.

3. BeeBe - kids a monster. During draft I wanted G from Uconn, because I was hearing that he can play C. Now hearing he can as well, so all good here.

3. MarShawn Lloyd - RB. Really needed to draft a RB and he is similar to Zeke in his size and style of running.

5. Carson - good here. Great value and fills a need.

6. Flourney - late round lotto ticket with great measurables. Hope he hits!

7. Myles Cole - DE TX Tech - big DE who has great tools to work with, just needs the production.

7. Rogers - Always happy to draft a huge DT from a big college program. Fits a need.

jujoboys

Reaction score
The only pick I didn't understand was 87. This isn't a knock on Liufau but I thought we should have taken Marshawn Lloyd. Dallas seems to be taking an extreme analytical approach to the RB position.

tm1119

Reaction score
1st-Guyton
2nd-Kneeland
3rd-Beebe
I was fine with the 1st 3 picks, but would have done the rest much differently…but of course hindsight makes it much easier.
3rd-Troy Franklin WR
* Trade back into 4th using ‘25 4th and this years 6th and 7th
4th- RB Ray Davis or Issac Guerrendo
5th- Nathaniel Watson LB
7th- Michael Pratt QB

Brooksey

Reaction score
The only pick I didn't understand was 87. This isn't a knock on Liufau but I thought we should have taken Marshawn Lloyd. Dallas seems to be taking an extreme analytical approach to the RB position.
I loved Lloyd, he was my pick

He was a Top 30 visit, something must have went wrong there

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I loved Lloyd, he was my pick

He was a Top 30 visit, something must have went wrong there
Or he wasn't as high on their board then Marist.

Everybody's board is different and the only one that matters is the Cowboys

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Can’t know how trades could have gone, but if you could have picked up multiple 2’s then I would have gone with Sweat/Brooks or Adonai/Cooper or Newton/Bullard. Some combination of those guys for your 1st.

Guyton’s a good player and nothing majorly wrong with the pick, but that adds up to more improvement on the team IMO. The issue with having many holes to fill; putting a lot of effort into 1 isn’t necessarily the best course. Especially coming away from the draft still needing a dominant 3-tech, still needing a #1 RB, still needing an every down Outside WR, having questions of whether the LB you got is a week 1 upgrade in 2024 the way Cooper would have been.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dunno. Manyweather loves him some Nathan Thomas, and I'm on board with any OL that Duke loves. I like all the picks, actually, and think that RB is the easiest position to succeed at with an average player. Fix the OL and Rico/Zeke will average four and a half yards, at least. I'm a big Kingsley Suamataia fan though and if I'm in charge we trade down again into the early second round and pick up a fourth-rounder.

35'ish. Suamataia
87. Jaylen Wright

The rest stays the same.
Dude we didn't have a fourth round pick and our fifth round pick might as well been in the sixth round but how could you put a player you want in the mid 4th when we didn't have a pic?>

John813

Reaction score
Liked the draft.

Wasn't sold on Liufau at that pick, but we'll see how that goes.

Guess the F.O. just wasn't enamored with most of the RB's once Benson/Brooks went, IMO.

Gambit

Reaction score
They clearly really wanted the LB and did not want to risk losing this particular player. So barring injury, they expect this guy to contribute immediately.
Exactly. Liuafu will surprise folks. I love the pick. Wish we woulda double dipped and gotten the Hawian dude from Cali too. It will be fun watching both Overshown and Liuafu blitzing and teams not knowing who or when or where.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Dude we didn't have a fourth round pick and our fifth round pick might as well been in the sixth round but how could you put a player you want in the mid 4th when we didn't have a pic?>
Dude, did you read my post?

Gambit

Reaction score

35'ish. Suamataia
87. Jaylen Wright

The rest stays the same.
You'd miss on Kneeland though. He sets the edge and plays run very well. That skill set could have help last year in run game (think Arizona game)

Now, had Robinson been there at 29 I personally think he was the pick then Suamataia likely the target rd 2.