Shanahan Tree WR always open

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds it nauseating that EVERYONE from the MIKE Shanahan Tree CONSTANTLY finds ways to have receivers of all types running wide open in their schemes? Yet, EVERY PLAY it seems as if our receivers have to work thier tails off just to get 6” of separation…I always thought the motto was “work smarter, not harder”.
:facepalm: :banghead: :facepalm::banghead:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Jerry loves his retread coaches with their dated schemes.

Or his own handpicked youngsters that can’t get it done either.

Still, no one is *#*%*# better than him at being a GM. Just ask
Yep, Antiquated to say the least. Should have been canned in the off season but then again things would have been back to the same old same old

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds it nauseating that EVERYONE from the MIKE Shanahan Tree CONSTANTLY finds ways to have receivers of all types running wide open in their schemes? Yet, EVERY PLAY it seems as if our receivers have to work thier tails off just to get 6” of separation…I always thought the motto was “work smarter, not harder”.
Well...with any Shanahan offense dating back to Mike in Denver 25 years ago, they always prioritize a strong run game that stretches the width of the entire field, so the defense always has to account for it, no matter the RB. Mike has done it with unheralded guys like Olandis Gary - Kyle with Alfred Morris. That's always been the foundation of their offenses and everything flows off of that.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Well...with any Shanahan offense dating back to Mike in Denver 25 years ago, they always prioritize a strong run game that stretches the width of the entire field, so the defense always has to account for it, no matter the RB. Mike has done it with unheralded guys like Olandis Gary - Kyle with Alfred Morris. That's always been the foundation of their offenses and everything flows off of that.
That’s EXACTLY what Belichick was talking about in one of his recent videos (w/ Chad Johnson, Chris Long, and Ryan Clark). They basis is everything runs of the stretch zone run and QB bootlegs. Been that way since Elway and it STILL WORKS!!!!!

conner01

Reaction score
Stretching the field is impirtant. We run every back, no matter the size up the middle. We only run at the edges with our WR. I just don’t get it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They do so many things….sucks to watch. I mean it suck’s to watch others do it so easy and we do nothing to get guys open.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But you know what I noticed? They get big yardage on 1st down. Then they see a 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 3 and it’s just so many possibilities. Meanwhile we get 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 15.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
That is what happens when you actually scheme your guys open. Motion, rub routes, crossing. Routes that work off each other. Great design.

All our offense is just individual routes that are usually just outs and curls. Nothing up field. Hard to get separation when the defense knows exactly what is coming and plays way up since they don't fear anyone on our roster beating them down the field.

Proof

Reaction score
we’ve had one of the best offenses in the league how many years in a row now? the early results this season are discouraging but i don’t think our “archaic” system is the undoing

Blackspider214

Reaction score
But you know what I noticed? They get big yardage on 1st down. Then they see a 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 3 and it’s just so many possibilities. Meanwhile we get 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 15.
I wonder where we stand in the league at getting 1st downs outside of 3rd downs? Seems so often, our 1st downs are gained on 3rd downs constantly. Meaning, we aren't doing a whole lot on our 1st and 2nd downs.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
we’ve had one of the best offenses in the league how many years in a row now? the early results this season are discouraging but i don’t think our “archaic” system is the undoing
We feasted off lesser opponents and piled up a lot of stats. Our system was exposed when we played the better teams, especially in the playoffs. This has been going on way longer than just this season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Right I'm still waiting on Mike McCarthy to actually exploit weaknesses in a defense instead of coming to the game with like 15 plays and then running them on a loop no matter how the game is flowing and doesn't try to help his stars it's just one of those Garrett moments we're expecting where your talent has to just either be good or get beat.. It's a tough day at the office when you're expecting everyone to be open running such simple patterns almost all at the same depth never trying to take the top off the defense and have a lack of a run game now you think this about the wide receivers I'm more jealous when I could watch some of these San Francisco games and Christian McCaffrey goes out and I never heard of their backup and their backup looks like one of the best backs in football.. Literally doesn't miss a beat using a backup running back the way they get the running backs open in space is impressive..

Oh by the way the 49ers just got beat by the lowly Cardinals so there goes that..

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only time we have guys open is if someone falls or when Dak is doing the scramble drill

fivetwos

Reaction score
True, it’s like problem number six or seven, but it’s still on the list of problems.

Let’s see how great those numbers look as the division improves.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wonder where we stand in the league at getting 1st downs outside of 3rd downs? Seems so often, our 1st downs are gained on 3rd downs constantly. Meaning, we aren't doing a whole lot on our 1st and 2nd downs.
Man it really does. Seems like we have to work so much harder and have to pray don’t get a penalty….

FanofJerry

Reaction score
It must not be a copy cat league...

Kind of funny...million dollar a year jobs up for grabs...and most of these coaches are following the Shanahan offense?

Something isnt real here...

ericb7709

Reaction score
Let It go its a called trash coaches and WRs nothing will ever change