Shanahan Tree WR always open

blueblood70

Reaction score
But you know what I noticed? They get big yardage on 1st down. Then they see a 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 3 and it’s just so many possibilities. Meanwhile we get 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 15.
Yeah but what you guys are talking about starts with the run game or starts with smarter scheming where you clear out an area by using a couple of your players as like dummy routes and you have them clear out an area and then you bring in the guy you want to get the big yardage into that area that's been vacated so you can do that with the run game by making the safety and linebackers walk up and you come up behind him but we don't see that it just all seemed to run out at the same depth run very similar every time and either the ball has to be perfectly thrown or not and this is what happens when you guys only have 6 inches to very tight coverage in windows that's how balls can be tipped and intercepted or a guy can peel off well who he was covering and dip underneath the guy that he wasn't supposed to be covering and he gets the interception that's what we seen around here for a while now...

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
It must not be a copy cat league...

Kind of funny...million dollar a year jobs up for grabs...and most of these coaches are following the Shanahan offense?

Something isnt real here...
Extremely copy cat league. Thats one of the reasons I watch less and less football.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Extremely copy cat league. Thats one of the reasons I watch less and less football.
I cant edit my post after 10 minutes...

I meant..."all the coaches ARENT following Shanahan"

Something isnt adding up...

Either these jobs are highly sought after and competitive...and coaches will do anything to win(use Shanahan's offense to get their WR's open) or they wont.

Which is it? Because...I dont see why the entire league would not be implementing Shanahan's offense...especially if my inferior offense was about to get me fired.

Something does not add up at all.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Am I the only one that finds it nauseating that EVERYONE from the MIKE Shanahan Tree CONSTANTLY finds ways to have receivers of all types running wide open in their schemes? Yet, EVERY PLAY it seems as if our receivers have to work thier tails off just to get 6” of separation…I always thought the motto was “work smarter, not harder”.
:facepalm: :banghead: :facepalm::banghead:
We have to run a simple offense.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
That is what happens when you actually scheme your guys open. Motion, rub routes, crossing. Routes that work off each other. Great design.

All our offense is just individual routes that are usually just outs and curls. Nothing up field. Hard to get separation when the defense knows exactly what is coming and plays way up since they don't fear anyone on our roster beating them down the field.
This is the biggest issue with this team (after the horrendous running game). For the past 5 years, Dallas has ranked at or near the bottom of wr separation as a team. This is a scheme problem.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well...with any Shanahan offense dating back to Mike in Denver 25 years ago, they always prioritize a strong run game that stretches the width of the entire field, so the defense always has to account for it, no matter the RB. Mike has done it with unheralded guys like Olandis Gary - Kyle with Alfred Morris. That's always been the foundation of their offenses and everything flows off of that.
Boyhowdy, he sure didn't teach his kid Kyle that running thing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds it nauseating that EVERYONE from the MIKE Shanahan Tree CONSTANTLY finds ways to have receivers of all types running wide open in their schemes? Yet, EVERY PLAY it seems as if our receivers have to work thier tails off just to get 6” of separation…I always thought the motto was “work smarter, not harder”.
Shanahan is special.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They can also seem to plugin a runningback and make them productive. It baffles me why we keep running up the middle on almost every 1st down.

CWR

Reaction score
we’ve had one of the best offenses in the league how many years in a row now? the early results this season are discouraging but i don’t think our “archaic” system is the undoing
Good point, but i also feel like our players have carried our coaches going back to Garrett.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
That’s EXACTLY what Belichick was talking about in one of his recent videos (w/ Chad Johnson, Chris Long, and Ryan Clark). They basis is everything runs of the stretch zone run and QB bootlegs. Been that way since Elway and it STILL WORKS!!!!!
The Shanahan method is predicated on low base, strong o-linemen who can move in space. That allows them to spread the field width wise.

Their key, they can open any gap and protect any part of the field beyond the hashes so that puts extra pressure on the defence to watch where the block is coming from, and to keep running because they will pressure the entire width to execute a play.

Once you buy into the motion and make your player the key, then they fake the heck out of the motion and you are running after a ghost.

Mobile linemen, motion, misdirection and width to stress the least intelligent and poorest technique players you have on the field.