Shanle + Fujita + Davis - Glover = Really weak middle of the defense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bottom line is that despite our defensive improvement last season in the form of studs coming in at DE and OLB, you look at what players we have at this point and really wonder how well will this unit stand up against 30 odd running plays a game.

Ferguson at this point is just a guy. I dont recall him getting push and he wasnt keeping offensive linemen off our MLBs with any consistency.

As for the guys behind Ferguson we basically have Ware and James and a nasty steaming pile at the other two spots. Shanle and Fujita not only were unable to shed blocks but they were consistently unable to so much as hold the point of attack.

Only to make matters worse we have Davis who is just as likely to think its a pass play as to recognize the run.

Behind them we have Johnson, Burnett, Fowler and Pile. While Fowler outplayed Shanle as the season ended and we hope to see much better things from a player of Burnett's pedigree, this group does not inspire me like I would want it to. Fact is it makes me downright nervous.

I mean can you feel good about going into the season with Ferguson/Johnson rotating on the nose or the prospects of Shanle/Fujita figuring out how to be physical enough at the point of attack?

I bring this up because while everyone is mooning over Bentley, weighing options at RT and deluding themselves into thinking we need a FB or WR, I see a defense that is fundamentally flawed against the run. Combine this with the fact that Zimmer is likely to again cheat on his schemes to stop the run with this group as it is as weve seen him do over and again, and I am really worried.

If it was just one position I would not be concerned but were talking 4 positions all in the middle of our defense that are mediocre at best and a trainwreck at worst.

Something must be done or were screwed.

JonCJG

Reaction score
Burnett will help when he is playing next to James next year.

We will upgrade at FS either in the draft or during FA. No worries about our D.

Our O well......

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
Not to be a smart-***, but I'm pretty sure Bill is aware of those weaknesses too and will work to address them at the draft and via free-agency.

JonCJG

Reaction score
I agree with that. Defense is Parcells specialty. Don't believe me check his Madden ratings on D. :)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ferguson much bigger than Glover and a NT
Shanle played solid and we won when HE was healthy
Fujita plays OLB
Davis at FS will be replaced

Remember our D improved last year as we got younger and Bigger in 3-4.

NT - Ngata/Watson - Draft Makeo Femateau - FA
OLB - Carpenter/Lawson
ILB - Add Schlegel in draft and - Move Burnett inside.

This team ready to contend NOW!

Ware, Canty, Spears - everyone stop crying!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Either through FA or the draft (likely both), this will be addressed.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
Not to be a smart-***, but I'm pretty sure Bill is aware of those weaknesses too and will work to address them at the draft and via free-agency.

I dont suspect that Parcells will ever read any post of mine, this post isnt directed at him. I see a lot of people pimping Beasly and Bentley when our needs in order are ROT, LB, S and K.

It is crucial that we enter the draft with ZERO compulsion to reach for need and until those 4/5 holes are filled in FA we are going to be tempted. Bentley, TO and Beasley help us not.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't Shanle one of the largest men ever to play this game? If so how could he be a weak link?

Or that's what someone has led us to believe... ;)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nors said:
Ferguson much bigger than Glover and a NT
Shanle played solid and we won when HE was healthy
Fujita plays OLB
Davis at FS will be replaced

Remember our D improved last year as we got younger and Bigger in 3-4.

NT - Ngata/Watson - Draft Makeo Femateau - FA
OLB - Carpenter/Lawson
ILB - Add Schlegel in draft and - Move Burnett inside.

This team ready to contend NOW!

Ware, Canty, Spears - everyone stop crying!

Crying? Hardly. Im not deluding myself into thinking Shale is anything other than a nickelbacker and ST player.

While you were busy catching the Patriots broadcast Im here watching Fujita
and Shanle getting absolutely smoked at the point of attack. Shanle for example averaged less than 5 tackles a game and a big fat ZERO TFL. Fowler who is not exactly aweinspiring was the easy choice to start at the end of the year.

You can save your ra ra routine.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcnorth

"...DT Maake Kemoeatu and Bart Scott appear to be the Ravens’ priorities to re-sign, the way we hear it..."

Looks like the Cowboys might have to look in another direction...

I think its very apparent that the guy is going to enter the market. While I am sure that the Ravens would really want to keep him its obvious they are going to have some competition for his services. I see a bidding war for the top NT on the market.

It is for that reason I dont get my hopes up for us getting him.

JonCJG

Reaction score
We will probably fill all those needs in FA. The only question is with what type of player. Will it be an older stop gap player who will allow us to draft and groom a player or will it be a palyer that solidifies a position for years to come. To say that our O line and WR position are not need positions is crazy.

If Glenn goes down and we have no vet WR to replace him able to go deep we are ****ed. I don't want to have and hope a rookie WR in a weak WR draft will step up and take his place.

Al Johnson is okay but not great. If we get a top 3 C to replace him and to open holes for JJ that improve the offense immensely and takes pressure off Bledsoe.

Sustaining drives and converting short 3 downs helps keep our D fresh and the opposing O's off the field. How can this not be a need?

Bring in T.O and Bentley!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Bottom line is that despite our defensive improvement last season in the form of studs coming in at DE and OLB, you look at what players we have at this point and really wonder how well will this unit stand up against 30 odd running plays a game.

That's a big reason why Parcells is adamant about controlling the clock as they were 2nd in time of possession last season. Last season I believe the key to the defense was in part the offense because if the offense could control the clock and not turn the ball over, it forced opposing teams to pass more which played right into their hands...to a degree.

Ferguson at this point is just a guy. I dont recall him getting push and he wasnt keeping offensive linemen off our MLBs with any consistency.

A push by a nose guard in the 3-4 is pretty much extra. Even Casey Hampton doesn't get much of a push, it's more about occupying space and getting the linemen turned to the proper direction. Glover actually was doing well in the first 4 weeks or so, then he just could hold up any more.

As for the guys behind Ferguson we basically have Ware and James and a nasty steaming pile at the other two spots. Shanle and Fujita not only were unable to shed blocks but they were consistently unable to so much as hold the point of attack.

I like Shanle as a backup because he's got pretty good cover skills for an ILB and he can blitz pretty well too as well as play ST. There's no doubt in my mind that the play of whomever at weakside ILB (Burnett, Fowler, Shanle) will greatly effect the play of the defense next season. Unless Ware greatly improves and/or they fine another stud pass rusher opposite of him.

Only to make matters worse we have Davis who is just as likely to think its a pass play as to recognize the run.

That and while he can lay the lumber, he's not a sure tackler.

Behind them we have Johnson, Burnett, Fowler and Pile. While Fowler outplayed Shanle as the season ended and we hope to see much better things from a player of Burnett's pedigree, this group does not inspire me like I would want it to. Fact is it makes me downright nervous.

Agreed. Although I think Burnett has a ton of ability on him if he can stay healthy. I think Fowler may actually be better suited at the strongside as well. Keep in mind though I was actually more nervous about the 2005 ILB's than next season as Bradie James was god awful in 2004 and Dat really didn't fit the scheme. James wound up proving me dead wrong this past season.

I mean can you feel good about going into the season with Ferguson/Johnson rotating on the nose or the prospects of Shanle/Fujita figuring out how to be physical enough at the point of attack?

I'm more concerned about Ferguson getting injured. I like Johnson a lot and I think they are trying to make him a Ty Warren type that is meant to play mostly 3-4 DE along with some occasional 3-4 NG. But, a healthy Ferguson isn't the problem from my point of view.

I bring this up because while everyone is mooning over Bentley, weighing options at RT and deluding themselves into thinking we need a FB or WR, I see a defense that is fundamentally flawed against the run. Combine this with the fact that Zimmer is likely to again cheat on his schemes to stop the run with this group as it is as weve seen him do over and again, and I am really worried.

Average yards allowed per carry has a low correlation to winning in the NFL, believe it or not. Being a good pass defense, along with sacking the QB has a very high correlation to winning in the NFL.

While the pass defense was good last season, it needs to get better and has some holes in it....mainly at FS and LOLB. I'll say this, if the offense is semi-decent and they wind up with 45+ sacks next year and a positive turnover margin (which usually comes with having 45+ sacks), they are almost all but likely to make the playoffs, if not go to the Super Bowl.

And they could give up 4.5 yards per carry.

If it was just one position I would not be concerned but were talking 4 positions all in the middle of our defense that are mediocre at best and a trainwreck at worst.

Something must be done or were screwed.

My guess is that they go LOLB in round one. They'll probably go after either Hali, Lawson or Wimbley. Those guys are bigger and have more speed than Fujita so they *should* be an upgrade over Fujita. Plus, you'll have Kalen Thornton back to help out.

I think they'll go after OT in the second round.

Then in the 3rd round they'll probably go after a nose guard.

Hopefully they'll go after a decent FS in FA and they'll probably let the weakside ILB spot just play itself out.

If everything holds up pretty well as far as injuries go, they should get the following:

1. Improved play from Spears, Canty, and Ratliff.

2. Improved play from Pepper Johnson.

3. Improved play from Ware.

4. A huge upgrade at FS.

5. A big upgrade at LOLB.

The only weak spot would be weakside ILB and that may play out just fine. Furthermore, if all of that stuff happens, chances are they can hide the weakness at that ILB spot rather easily.

I really don't think the defense is that far off from being a top 5 defense (which it was for most of last season).

The offense however.........

Rich.......

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins said:
Crying? Hardly. Im not deluding myself into thinking Shale is anything other than a nickelbacker and ST player.

While you were busy catching the Patriots broadcast Im here watching Fujita
and Shanle getting absolutely smoked at the point of attack. Shanle for example averaged less than 5 tackles a game and a big fat ZERO TFL. Fowler who is not exactly aweinspiring was the easy choice to start at the end of the year.

You can save your ra ra routine.

Nors...

I think you just got---

Schooled!

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Please recall teh following, Dat was our startig MLB next to James. He gets hurt, thus forcing Shanle in to action. Shanle is a serviceable guy, but I highly doubt that we are going to be starting him next year. Fujita started off well, but it showed that he was a much better player when he was rotating. I believe we will aquire a pass rushing OLB opposite Ware.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Why does everyone doubt Fujita? He will be the starter next season, and Dallas doesn't need an upgrade on the outside. The dude did not get a summer camp, and he was forced to learn on the go. He has a great combination of size, speed, and strength. He was playing much better towards the end of the year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Why does everyone doubt Fujita? He will be the starter next season, and Dallas doesn't need an upgrade on the outside. The dude did not get a summer camp, and he was forced to learn on the go. He has a great combination of size, speed, and strength. He was playing much better towards the end of the year.

For starters, Fujita is supposedly going to test the market. So, he might not even be around. Secondly, even though he improved somewhat towards the end of the year, he still wasn't very good. Third, he doesn't have the pass rushing ability that you want in a starting LOLB in a 3-4. Lastly, while he may have the size for the 3-4, he might be better suited in a 4-3 given his abilities.

For at least pass rush purposes, so teams won't throw a tight end to force Ware in coverage or give him a double team, they could use an upgrade over at the LOLB spot.

Rich..........

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire defense can not be transformed into one of the top NFL units in one off season. Phase two will continue in a few hours.