Shaq Barrett

McKDaddy

Reaction score
In hindsight, maybe we should have signed this guy for $5M.

8 sacks in three games.

Nah, who needs those pesky stat fillers.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
31 teams would have signed him. That said, small sample sizes need to be taken over the long haul. It's how guys like Adrian Clayborn make a lot of money.

John813

Reaction score
Good for him.

Did he ever hit the rumor mill for the Cowboys?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You don't think that being on a different team with a different scheme might make a difference? Aw, adorable.

First of all, this was meant as a light hearted "hmmm, maybe this guy wasn't a JAG like everyone said during free agency" post. You know, simply because he is tied for most sacks thru 3 games in NFL history. Not an referendum on his fit here.

Second, you do make a fair point that Tampa is running more 3-4 scheme this year. However, beating the tackle in front of you is fundamentally the same regardless of scheme.

Third, yes I am adorable. But that isn't really relative to football discussions.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First of all, this was meant as a light hearted "hmmm, maybe this guy wasn't a JAG like everyone said during free agency" post. You know, simply because he is tied for most sacks thru 3 games in NFL history. Not an referendum on his fit here.

Second, you do make a fair point that Tampa is running more 3-4 scheme this year. However, beating the tackle in front of you is fundamentally the same regardless of scheme.

Third, yes I am adorable. But that isn't really relative to football discussions.
Some 3-4 teams play a 4-2 in Nickle and a 4-1 in Dime, so he may be putting his hand in the dirt when he rushes. I havent seen Tampa this year, so I can say if the run a 4 or a 3 man line in subs

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. He has more sacks than our entire team.

There are a number of factors that do matter though. How much interest did Barrett have in coming here, especially considering he'd be a DE here as opposed to OLB. On top of that, Barrett signed a 1 year deal, meaning he likely is hoping to cash in next spring after a great season. Even if he was interested in coming here, would we have to commit more more to make up for the position change? I'd also say, let's pump the brakes on this guy a bit. He got like 3 sacks against a hobbled Cam Newton and 4 against a rookie making their first start. Eli doesn't take a ton of unnecessary sacks, but Jones certainly did yesterday. Barrett may just be this year's version of Adrian Clayborne.