Shawn Oakman | DE | Baylor (6'9" 280lbs)

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this guy?! Absolute monster DE prospect from Baylor who made me turn my head when I saw how athletic he was. He'll probably go extremely high in the draft if he chooses to come out, so we may not even get a sniff at him, but wow this kid has some serious potential. That wingspan when measured is sure to be absurd, Art Briles said he can shake your hand from across the room lol.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
That is really tall, wonder if he can maintain a low center of gravity.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
That is really tall, wonder if he can maintain a low center of gravity.

He was All-Big 12 last year and on some preseason All-American lists going into this year. The guy can play.

Almost reminds me of the Cardinal's Calais Campbell.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember hearing some blurb about I really big and tall guy on Baylor's team but for the life of me I thought it was an Olinemen for some reason. Maybe it is a different guy.

RS12

Reaction score
Just from how much of the QBs vision he can block, makes him interesting. That was an under rated part of Too Tall Jones game.

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2015DE.php

1. http://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/college/Baylor_logo.gif Shawn Oakman*, DE, Baylor
    Height: 6-9. Weight: 280.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
    Projected Round (2015): 2-3.

8/23/14: In 2013, Oakman totaled 33 tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles. The massive defensive end has a lot of potential. He was more disruptive than the numbers indicate and should continue to improve. Oakman looks like a great fit as a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense. He spent 2011 with a redshirt at Penn State. Oakman sat out the 2012 season after transferring.

Personal: Nephew of Ken and Tracy Roberts. Majoring in general studies.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-09-16/news/24979664_1_parents-ken-iii-tracy-roberts

bodi

Reaction score
I been looking at Arik Armstead, DE Oregon 6-7 #300

Strengths Weaknesses

06/20/2014 - DE Arik Armstead, Junior...Armstead's production is far from staggering but he boasts such an incredible combination of size and athleticism that he could wind up as Oregon's hottest NFL prospect on the defensive side of the ball. Armstead signed with the Ducks as a highly regarded prep and immediately impressed, recording 26 tackles in 13 games (including one start) in 2012. He didn't progress as hoped a season ago (15 tackles in 13 games, including five starts) but could be on the verge of a breakout campaign after quitting Oregon's basketball team to focus on football. A monstrous man with natural power and light feet, Armstead's upside is undeniable. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

joseephuss

Reaction score
I been looking at Arik Armstead, DE Oregon 6-7 #300

Strengths Weaknesses

06/20/2014 - DE Arik Armstead, Junior...Armstead's production is far from staggering but he boasts such an incredible combination of size and athleticism that he could wind up as Oregon's hottest NFL prospect on the defensive side of the ball. Armstead signed with the Ducks as a highly regarded prep and immediately impressed, recording 26 tackles in 13 games (including one start) in 2012. He didn't progress as hoped a season ago (15 tackles in 13 games, including five starts) but could be on the verge of a breakout campaign after quitting Oregon's basketball team to focus on football. A monstrous man with natural power and light feet, Armstead's upside is undeniable. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Both guys are listed as better fits in the 3-4 as DEs according to BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1

bodi

Reaction score
ah I see oh well guess we won't be looking at either one if them

but stranger things have happened

joseephuss

Reaction score
ah I see oh well guess we won't be looking at either one if them

but stranger things have happened

Definitely. My philosophy is good football players fit any system. I don't know enough about either guy, but if they are good enough I would welcome them to Dallas.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I don't see a 5-tech in Oakman at all. He's pretty wiry and leggy. It's like if Kevin Garnett decided to play football.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I don't see a 5-tech in Oakman at all. He's pretty wiry and leggy. It's like if Kevin Garnett decided to play football.

the Guys is super athletic, but he lets people get in to his body too much for a guy with those long of arms. let a RB Stifle him. seems to do better on the inside, but i did not see many people getting hands on him when he moved inside.

i would not draft him until 3rd round due to how raw he is. but if you give him a couple of years might be something special, he Defiantly has all of the measurable's just needs to be coached up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Oakman alot, we may be playing our way out of the top 15 but I think he is a solid fit on the strongside opposite D Law.. Big athletic freak that can turn the corner, get inside, and stack against the run. I think he could play either side of the line

Hailmary

Reaction score
I'm watching Baylor and tcu now and I'm not overly impressed. He doesn't seem to posses much in terms of moves, bull rushing on every snap. I dont think he's come clise to the qb yet.
With that said, he is a freak and may end up having a great nfl career. I just think it'll take a couple of seasons coaching in order to see his full potential. With our obvious needs on the dline, I don't think we can afford to draft a project in the first round.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
He's a monster in terms of size and potential. But he's raw. Needs development and refining.

Arik Armstead of Oregon has bust written all over him imo. I wouldn't touch him, at least not in any of the early rounds. He should be playing OT instead of DE. He's always a non-factor when I watch him play.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
This is a large man. With loads of potential. But he still needs to put it all together.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He's a monster in terms of size and potential. But he's raw. Needs development and refining.

Arik Armstead of Oregon has bust written all over him imo. I wouldn't touch him, at least not in any of the early rounds. He should be playing OT instead of DE. He's always a non-factor when I watch him play.

USC wanted him as a Tackle, he wanted to play D Line and chose Oregon.