Shelf Life

Verdict

Reaction score
What do you think the shelf life will be for each of the following players and why:

1. Witten? Considerations are cap number, age, ability, Romo's potential demise/trade/retirement, cheaper alternatives through the draft.

2. Dez Bryant? Considerations are cap number, injury history, underperformance of current contract, excelling in his absence, lack of maturity, effectiveness when healthy, and value of compensation received in a trade.

3. Tony Romo? Considerations are age, emergence of Dak, cap number, value of potential compensation in draft, value as a starter or backup to our team, dead money.

4. Mo? Considerations are value to the team, value of future contract, number of needs throughout the team, teams wanting to poach our players due to successful season, injury history, flash in the pan or coming into his own???

5. Doug Free? Considerations are weakest link on a stellar line, opportunity to upgrade, emergence of Green, Green's injury history, cap number, age, etc.

6. Sean Lee? Considerations are will his injury history cut his career short, how long can he play at this level, what will he cost us long term, and our cap numbers, can we afford to keep him for his useful career life.

Let's hear your thoughts on these hypotheticals. The considerations are not an exhaustive list just things that obviously come into play for the listed player. Add other players to that list if you want. It should be a fun exercise.

Don't come to this thread to complain about it. Just keep on moving if you can't stick to the thread topic.

Thanks in advance,

Verdict

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really think we need to start looking for a TE.

I wish we could steal Barnridge away from the Browns. He reminds me a lot of Witten.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Why is Tony even the list? He shouldn't even be our problem after this season.

Witten though, at some point, we need to seriously start looking for his replacement (though he's been great this season).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think the shelf life will be for each of the following players and why:

1. Witten? Considerations are cap number, age, ability, Romo's potential demise/trade/retirement, cheaper alternatives through the draft.

2. Dez Bryant? Considerations are cap number, injury history, underperformance of current contract, excelling in his absence, lack of maturity, effectiveness when healthy, and value of compensation received in a trade.

3. Tony Romo? Considerations are age, emergence of Dak, cap number, value of potential compensation in draft, value as a starter or backup to our team, dead money.

4. Mo? Considerations are value to the team, value of future contract, number of needs throughout the team, teams wanting to poach our players due to successful season, injury history, flash in the pan or coming into his own???

5. Doug Free? Considerations are weakest link on a stellar line, opportunity to upgrade, emergence of Green, Green's injury history, cap number, age, etc.

6. Sean Lee? Considerations are will his injury history cut his career short, how long can he play at this level, what will he cost us long term, and our cap numbers, can we afford to keep him for his useful career life.

Let's hear your thoughts on these hypotheticals. The considerations are not an exhaustive list just things that obviously come into play for the listed player. Add other players to that list if you want. It should be a fun exercise.

Don't come to this thread to complain about it. Just keep on moving if you can't stick to the thread topic.

Thanks in advance,

Verdict
All except Romo will likely return next season.
Witten - He is still productive and he can't get any slower with more age.

Dez - No other options for #1 WR right now and TWill/Butler are free agents.

Romo - Gone. To expensive at 14M to be a backup.

Mo - Cost will be minimal after not being able to stay healthy again.

Free - I would love to upgrade, but he is "good enough" when he has 3 All Pros and 1 really good player on the OL with him.

Lee - Moving to WLB seems to have really helped him.

I'm more curious about free agents like TWill and Butler. What are they worth and how much will it take to retain them? I would like to retain TWill but I don't want them to pay him big money.

I think T.McClain might be a free agent also.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Free - I would love to upgrade, but he is "good enough" when he has 3 All Pros and 1 really good player on the OL with him.

I'm more curious about free agents like TWill and Butler. What are they worth and how much will it take to retain them? I would like to retain TWill but I don't want them to pay him big money.

Agreed. I would like to see the club keep both Williams and Butler and try to hang on to Leary. He is a good fit in Dallas.

Verdict

Reaction score

Good post X. I hope you are correct on Mo. I think we may get priced out of the market on him.
\
I hope we keep T. McClain on the cheap, like we have been able to do so far.

T. Will and Butler ----- I'm ok with them staying, but I don't think either should command much in terms of salary cap. Neither have been impact players this year. We shouldn't over pay for either of them.

Free is getting up there in age. I would really like to see us take another step forward with this line. I would be OK with a RT with our first overall pick next year. That way if we get priced out of keeping one of our stud interior players we will still have 3 studs on that line.