Shockey No Catch Picture Proof

TVMan

Reaction score
Newman allowed Shockey to catch the ball? :D

He must suck too.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I would have to see the entire play to make an accurate judgement.

The first thing that comes to mind is the ground cannot cause a fumble. Did he have possession of the ball with both feet in bounds before going to the ground? I have no idea what transpired before this photo was taken.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
sbark;1765409 said:
I suppose the stadium people waited as long as possible to put it up on the Jumbo screen to avoid a red flag reveiw..............playing on the road
I think that's the play right before the half which would mean it should have been a booth review.

DBoys

Reaction score
nyc;1765465 said:
I would have to see the entire play to make an accurate judgement.

The first thing that comes to mind is the ground cannot cause a fumble. Did he have possession of the ball with both feet in bounds before going to the ground? I have no idea what transpired before this photo was taken.

You have to keep control of the ball when you hit the ground. Randy Moss catch was a perfect example. He caught the ball with both feet in but lost control when he hit the ground. Ref's ruled it was a no catch.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Oh well, it's over and we won. But I am surprised that ref didn't even bother to review the play.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DBoys;1765772 said:
You have to keep control of the ball when you hit the ground. Randy Moss catch was a perfect example. He caught the ball with both feet in but lost control when he hit the ground. Ref's ruled it was a no catch.

If you had possession of the ball with both feet in bounds, it doesn't matter if you drop the ball once you're out of bounds.

Ball firmly in hand and both feet in bounds constitutes a reception. Any fumble afterwards is, nothing but a fumble. If you fumble out of bounds, the last team that had possession, retains possession.

Like I said, there isn't enough information in the picture to determine if it was an actually reception or not.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
nyc;1765831 said:
If you had possession of the ball with both feet in bounds, it doesn't matter if you drop the ball once you're out of bounds.

Ball firmly in hand and both feet in bounds constitutes a reception. Any fumble afterwards is, nothing but a fumble. If you fumble out of bounds, the last team that had possession, retains possession.

Like I said, there isn't enough information in the picture to determine if it was an actually reception or not.

The rule is different for out-of-bounds plays. You have to maintain possession when falling out of bounds until after you hit the ground.

DBoys

Reaction score
gimmesix;1765932 said:
The rule is different for out-of-bounds plays. You have to maintain possession when falling out of bounds until after you hit the ground.

:signmast:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
gimmesix;1765932 said:

DBoys;1765937 said:
:signmast:

So, riddle me this. Can you tell by the single frame if the player caught the ball falling out of bounds, or did he run 50 yards down field after catching the ball before going out of bounds and fumbling the ball.

Exactly my point. You don't know without seeing more the the actual play. Just because he drops the ball falling out of bounds doesn't mean he didn't already secure possession of the ball before hand.

If you would just take a second to comprehend what I wrote you shouldn't even have responded. I know exactly what the rules are. My point is you do not know what exactly occured in the play and a single frame of reference isn't enough to make the proper judgement.

DBoys

Reaction score
nyc;1765982 said:
So, riddle me this. Can you tell by the single frame if the player caught the ball falling out of bounds, or did he run 50 yards down field after catching the ball before going out of bounds and fumbling the ball.

Exactly my point. You don't know without seeing more the the actual play. Just because he drops the ball falling out of bounds doesn't mean he didn't already secure possession of the ball before hand.

If you would just take a second to comprehend what I wrote you shouldn't even have responded. I know exactly what the rules are. My point is you do not know what exactly occured in the play and a single frame of reference isn't enough to make the proper judgement.

It was a sideline catch, Tnew's hand hit the ball and Shockey was bobbling it while going to the ground.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
While this is interesting, the drive that this play occurred ended up with a Ken Hamlin interception. I'll take the final results rather than overturn this play.

DALLAS D

Reaction score
I replayed that portion of the game in slow motion, and i do believe Shockey was slowly lossing control of the ball. For those that dont have the game, look at these two images and pay attention to the ball. Shockeys hands are still in the same position yet the ball is slowly heading away from them.
new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
nyc;1765982 said:

Some of us remember the play from the game. It's the one right on the sideline where Tory said it was maybe the best throw he'd ever seen ECri make. ;)

Otherwise, you're right -- you wouldn't know just from the pic.