Shockey's 'TD' should have been overturned

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
So, you're telling me that a runner can establish his body in bounds, stretch the ball out of bounds, to the outside of the front pylon and across this imaginary plane to avoid a defender, and it's a TOUCHDOWN???

I find it hard to believe, it does not make sense.

theoretically, the plane of the goalline circles the globe....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
So, you're telling me that a runner can establish his body in bounds, stretch the ball out of bounds, to the outside of the front pylon and across this imaginary plane to avoid a defender, and it's a TOUCHDOWN???

I find it hard to believe, it does not make sense.

I believe when the RB/FB crosses the plane of the goalline, it's a TD, because he has possession of the football, and is in bounds, before it crosses the plane

but a receiver generally doesn't have possession of the football before the ball crosses the plane of the goalline, since the last person who's able to establish possession is the QB, obviously, QB throws to WR, so therefore the wideout must establish complete control after he catches the pass, and have 2 feet inbounds inside the endzone...now if the receiver makes the grab before he reaches the endzone, with 2 feet in bounds, and has complete possession, all he has to do is stick the ball across the plane of the goalline, or touch the pylon, just like a RB, provided that his feet and body are inbounds, not touching the ground out of bounds on the sidelines, and it's a TD

hope that makes the rule less confusing...

nathanlt

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I believe when the RB/FB crosses the plane of the goalline, it's a TD, because he has possession of the football, and is in bounds, before it crosses the plane

but a receiver generally doesn't have possession of the football before the ball crosses the plane of the goalline, since the last person who's able to establish possession is the QB, obviously, QB throws to WR, so therefore the wideout must establish complete control after he catches the pass, and have 2 feet inbounds inside the endzone...now if the receiver makes the grab before he reaches the endzone, with 2 feet in bounds, and has complete possession, all he has to do is stick the ball across the plane of the goalline, or touch the pylon, just like a RB, provided that his feet and body are inbounds, not touching the ground out of bounds on the sidelines, and it's a TD

hope that makes the rule less confusing...

All right... I know that the end zone rules are different than for the rest of the field. Good one, tothewhipbill!!!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
YoMick said:
It was almost like they used the "forced out of bounds" rule to rule on that Shockey TD.

He was hit so hard and sent horizontally that if he wasnt hit so hard he would have come down with both feet on ground. LOL

I hope ROY gets to hit him as hard or HARDER!!!

LMAO. :lmao2: thats exactly what i was thinking. they just gave him the benefit of the doubt that his feet were down b/c he got hammered

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I don't get it

according to NFL rules the goal line is an "infinite plane". a player, having established possession of the ball in bounds, can leave his feet, land out of bounds - and it will count as a TD as long as the ball broke the plane before his landing.

so, it's NOT about the position of the ball relative to the sidelines. it's about the player, first, establishing possession in the field of play - and, secondly, causing the ball, while still in possession, to break the infinite plane BEFORE the player touches out of bounds.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Nathan,

Perhaps this will help.

A reciever and a runner must establish possession regardless of his position on the field. In the case of a rec. possession is established when two things occur. He must grasp the ball in a manner which allows him to perform an act "common to the game" and... he must have both feet down on the ground---that is a definition of a catch.

A runner also must have a firm grasp of the ball with the capability of producing the "common to the game" test but has no requirement regarding his feet, ostensibly because upon recieving the handoff or pitch he has already established his feet.

The third part of the equation is there is an imaginary line at the goal line. A runner or rec. who has previously satisfied the requirement for posession scores if he then possesses the ball withing the three dimensional portion of the goal.