Short Off-season quiz

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a quick quiz to look at what our Zone members think are the Cowboys biggest needs this off-season. For the sake of simplicity, the questions are set up for simple answers, although you can go into detail if you choose. To answer, just copy, paste and add your thoughts. I put my answers at the bottom to not clog up your ability to copy.

QUESTIONS
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need?
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?
MY ANSWERS
  1. Getting more physical upfront on defense; upgrading the defensive front 7 to me is top priority. (DL, LB)
  2. Upgrading the running game. (OL and RB)
  3. No. Dak will be here next year in the last year of his deal. I would just play it out. Yes, it will limit cap space but why commit to multiple years with Dak? If he takes the team to greater playoff success in 2024, you can always re-negotiate a future deal. If he has another playoff failure or we don’t make the playoffs, we are free moving forward.
  4. Tough question. With Trey Lance sitting there and not knowing what we have with him, I would say no. I think this team shoukd draft a QB early (for a change) in the near future, just not this year.
  5. There aren’t many you can release and get much space. Michael Gallup, Nashon Wright, LVE (he should retire) Josh Ball, maybe Cooper Rush if they choose to just roll with Lance as backup. Wright and Ball don’t make anything but they are just waste of time IMO.
  6. Believe it or not, I would still target LB Bobby Wagner on a one year deal. He had an excellent year last year, playing in all 17 games, had over 1,100 snaps, 183 tackles, and 4 sacks. He is obtainable at around $5 million. This would be an “all in” move.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here’s a quick quiz to look at what our Zone members think are the Cowboys biggest needs this off-season. For the sake of simplicity, the questions are set up for simple answers, although you can go into detail if you choose. To answer, just copy, paste and add your thoughts. I put my answers at the bottom to not clog up your ability to copy.

QUESTIONS
MY ANSWERS
  1. Getting more physical upfront on defense; upgrading the defensive front 7 to me is top priority. (DL, LB)
  3. No. Dak will be here next year in the last year of his deal. I would just play it out. Yes, it will limit cap space but why commit to multiple years with Dak? If he takes the team to greater playoff success in 2024, you can always re-negotiate a future deal. If he has another playoff failure or we don’t make the playoffs, we are free moving forward.
  4. Tough question. With Trey Lance sitting there and not knowing what we have with him, I would say no. I think this team shoukd draft a QB early (for a change) in the near future, just not this year.
  5. There aren’t many you can release and get much space. Michael Gallup, Nashon Wright, LVE (he should retire) Josh Ball, maybe Cooper Rush if they choose to just roll with Lance as backup. Wright and Ball don’t make anything but they are just waste of time IMO.
  6. Believe it or not, I would still target LB Bobby Wagner on a one year deal. He had an excellent year last year, playing in all 17 games, had over 1,100 snaps, 183 tackles, and 4 sacks. He is obtainable at around $5 million. This would be an “all in” move.
Ask Jerry, none of us know and if we pretend to know, we'll be disappointed. Do I get an A?

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

QUESTIONS
MY ANSWERS
None of the above, Jerry is planning on spending money on his wife's art collection!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

QUESTIONS
MY ANSWERS
my problem with number 3 is if he has any sign of a good year, doesn't that 60 million price go higher??? Or whatever the market value of the highest paid qb is right now per season

Sydla

Reaction score
QUESTIONS
1) Up the middle on defense - DT/LB
2) OL help. With Tyler, you have some flexibility to grab inside help and move him outside or grab outside help and leave him at LG.
3) I would have cut bait on Dak and fired McCarthy after the season but we are clearly running it back, so I think you have to bit the bullet, extend Dak and hope that somehow we can do something in the next 3 years.
4) If you want to take a late round flier on a guy, sure. Unless something crazy happens and one of the elite guys drops.
5) I think I might consider cutting Gallup post June 1
6) Jewell at LB

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my problem with number 3 is if he has any sign of a good year, doesn't that 60 million price go higher??? Or whatever the market value of the highest paid qb is right now per season
What would you suggest?

Kwyn

Reaction score

QUESTIONS
MY ANSWERS
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? - O-Line
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? - Interior LB
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? - No
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year? - No, Dak will start even without an extension
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts? - not really concerned about this years cap. I wouldn’t spend a bunch on anyone except maybe CeeDee

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need?-- Depends what happens when the league year begins, we struggled on defense LB/DT i'm looking at this hard and i'm not sleeping until we get deals signed
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?- If we loose our Center, clearly the next biggest need, I group (DT/LB) as one MAJOR need
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?--No let it play out, try and trade back to get picks if a QB happens to fall, you consider snagging him up!!!
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?---- Without seeing this, I just saw this, see #3 yes!!!!!!!!!!! Preferably someone that played at a big school, not a project player from a small school
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?- Gallup/Dak
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?-Massive DT/an affordable younger LB around the age of 26 that's had some time in the league

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1) Up the middle on defense - DT/LB
2) OL help. With Tyler, you have some flexibility to grab inside help and move him outside or grab outside help and leave him at LG.
3) I would have cut bait on Dak and fired McCarthy after the season but we are clearly running it back, so I think you have to bit the bullet, extend Dak and hope that somehow we can do something in the next 3 years.
4) If you want to take a late round flier on a guy, sure. Unless something crazy happens and one of the elite guys drops.
5) I think I might consider cutting Gallup post June 1
6) Jewell at LB
I agree with you on 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. It’s not that I disagree regarding Dak- in fact your point makes perfect sense. But this team is in such a mess over that contract, it’s almost like they damned either way, lol.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ranch, you get an “Incomplete”, lol. No answers provided.
Dang...I'll retake the quiz.

1. MLB
2. DT
3. HMM, I'd be good either way, but since I don't like blowing it up and rebuilding, I'll say yes. He's not perfect,but he's better than most.
4. Late round pick...I'd rather give Lance a shot.
5. I don't pay attention to contracts, so I won't pretend to know. If I had to guess, I'd say Dak, if he plays hardball. That would probably change number 4 to a higher pick.
6. Center from Pittsburgh that just got cut for cap reasons.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dang...I'll retake the quiz.

1. MLB
2. DT
3. HMM, I'd be good either way, but since I don't like blowing it up and rebuilding, I'll say yes. He's not perfect,but he's better than most.
4. Late round pick...I'd rather give Lance a shot.
5. I don't pay attention to contracts, so I won't pretend to know. If I had to guess, I'd say Dak, if he plays hardball. That would probably change number 4 to a higher pick.
6. Center from Pittsburgh that just got cut for cap reasons.
Grade: A. :thumbup:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? QB
What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? OL
Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? HELL NO
Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year? No
What players would you release as June 1 cuts? Gallup and LVE
If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be? Just target RB, OL, DT and LB

Since I got all the questions right, what do I win?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? QB
What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? OL
Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? HELL NO
Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year? No
What players would you release as June 1 cuts? Gallup and LVE
If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be? Just target RB, OL, DT and LB

Since I got all the questions right, what do I win?
A tour of duty as a Zone moderator. :laugh:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
1. Cowboys biggest need is stopping the run.....so DT and LB.. . monster DT like Sweat. Get Mazi back to his big boy weight.
2. Second biggest need........OL, RB.... depends where you put Tyler. Bass is gonna surprise in a good way.
3. Should they extend Dak......No, bite the bullet and look for a new QB.. he ain't gonna get better, and not the answer.
4. Should they draft a QB this year? Yes, but 5th round at best to compete with Lance and Rush. Be more serious getting QB of the future next season due to possible better draft position and more picks.
5. Players released as June 1 cuts.... Gallup, Ball, Wright, LVE....just taking up a roster spots.
6. An affordable FA......Wagner, still has tread left and would be our best run stopper as LB. Also leadership skills.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it just posted, my computer froze, thought I was going to have to type it all over again!!
Maybe the computer had to think about your answers. Or was it confused that it thought was it a response or creating a new thread. :laugh:

J/K ... keep up with the new threads. :thumbup:

Now I need to post, my answers.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

1 - DT
2 - Center
3- hell NO!
4- NO
5 - Gallop
6 - lb

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? ----------------- DT and LB
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? --------------------- OL and RB
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? -------- No, figure out another way, let Dak play it out
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?---------------------------------------- Yes, but does not need to be a priority
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?-------------------------------- Gallup is the obvious choice, unless the decide to just give up on Dak moving forward
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?---- Don't know, I really have not looked at FA yet, but LB and OL