Short Off-season quiz

Aven8

Reaction score
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? - LB/DT/Center/RB
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?- WR/DE
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?- I think so only because I hate losing.
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?- No
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?- MG, LVE
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?- If it’s me I’m opening up the check book and going all in with Wilkins at DT, Luvu at LB, and Hunter at DE. Defense is complete and you can take BPA on offense.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think we need a dominant center we have never recovered from the loss of Travis Frederick
We also need a real running back that can carry the load.

If Tyron is gone we need more online we also need a nose tackle

We should not extend Dak and we should not draft a quarterback this year.

I guess we probably need to get rid of Michael Gallup.

I try and sign DJ reader after the quad injury maybe Jerry could work some kind of deal

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Here’s a quick quiz to look at what our Zone members think are the Cowboys biggest needs this off-season. For the sake of simplicity, the questions are set up for simple answers, although you can go into detail if you choose. To answer, just copy, paste and add your thoughts. I put my answers at the bottom to not clog up your ability to copy.

QUESTIONS
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need?
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?
1. MLB, another LVE, size and speed-wise.
2. C. Tired of seeing our current C shoved back in Dak's face.
3. No. Same as Garrett after 10 years, he's had his time, hasn't done it, time to move on.
4. No. Martin, et al are at the end of their careers, let's try to get them a ring.
5. Gallimore, Gallup, Wright, Mukumamu
6. Gus Edwards, RB Ravens.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe the computer had to think about your answers. Or was it confused that it thought was it a response or creating a new thread. :laugh:

J/K ... keep up with the new threads. :thumbup:

Now I need to post, my answers.
Seeing your answers, I'd rather have decaffeinated :muttley: coffee!!!!!!!!!!!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Here’s a quick quiz to look at what our Zone members think are the Cowboys biggest needs this off-season. For the sake of simplicity, the questions are set up for simple answers, although you can go into detail if you choose. To answer, just copy, paste and add your thoughts. I put my answers at the bottom to not clog up your ability to copy.

QUESTIONS
MY ANSWERS
  1. Getting more physical upfront on defense; upgrading the defensive front 7 to me is top priority. (DL, LB)
  2. Upgrading the running game. (OL and RB)
  3. No. Dak will be here next year in the last year of his deal. I would just play it out. Yes, it will limit cap space but why commit to multiple years with Dak? If he takes the team to greater playoff success in 2024, you can always re-negotiate a future deal. If he has another playoff failure or we don’t make the playoffs, we are free moving forward.
  4. Tough question. With Trey Lance sitting there and not knowing what we have with him, I would say no. I think this team shoukd draft a QB early (for a change) in the near future, just not this year.
  5. There aren’t many you can release and get much space. Michael Gallup, Nashon Wright, LVE (he should retire) Josh Ball, maybe Cooper Rush if they choose to just roll with Lance as backup. Wright and Ball don’t make anything but they are just waste of time IMO.
  6. Believe it or not, I would still target LB Bobby Wagner on a one year deal. He had an excellent year last year, playing in all 17 games, had over 1,100 snaps, 183 tackles, and 4 sacks. He is obtainable at around $5 million. This would be an “all in” move.
1. DT that can’t actually be an impact run defender right now.
2. LB that can man the middle, fill gaps and punish. Willingly. RB and OT special mentions.
3. No
4. If McCarthy thinks Lance can’t do it yes. Nix and McCarthy could be available at 24.
5. Gallup is a no brainer.
6. Patrick Queen. If so shift focus to OL for number 2.

starfan1

Reaction score

QUESTIONS
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? LB or OC
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? DT
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? Dont care either way but if you arent going to fix the run game issues on both sides of the ball then dont waste your time extending him. If you are going to fix those things then extend him
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year? no find out what Lance has
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts? Gallup
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be? Lavonte David
MY ANSWERS
  1. Getting more physical upfront on defense; upgrading the defensive front 7 to me is top priority. (DL, LB)
  2. Upgrading the running game. (OL and RB)
  3. No. Dak will be here next year in the last year of his deal. I would just play it out. Yes, it will limit cap space but why commit to multiple years with Dak? If he takes the team to greater playoff success in 2024, you can always re-negotiate a future deal. If he has another playoff failure or we don’t make the playoffs, we are free moving forward.
  4. Tough question. With Trey Lance sitting there and not knowing what we have with him, I would say no. I think this team shoukd draft a QB early (for a change) in the near future, just not this year.
  5. There aren’t many you can release and get much space. Michael Gallup, Nashon Wright, LVE (he should retire) Josh Ball, maybe Cooper Rush if they choose to just roll with Lance as backup. Wright and Ball don’t make anything but they are just waste of time IMO.
  6. Believe it or not, I would still target LB Bobby Wagner on a one year deal. He had an excellent year last year, playing in all 17 games, had over 1,100 snaps, 183 tackles, and 4 sacks. He is obtainable at around $5 million. This would be an “all in” move.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[*]What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need?
Left tackle. It is arguably the second or third most important position behind quarterback and/or defensive end.

Tyron Smith missed games but was dependable when he did play for the most part. Blindside quarterback protection is crucial in any offense Dallas puts on the field.
[*]What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?
Defensive tackle.

Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?
Jerry Jones will do just that. Kinda makes the question moot. :)

Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?
Yes, preferably during the first two days of the draft. It is a practice the team should have implemented for every second or third draft during the past three decades. Jones wants Trey Lance to be Prescott's eventual successor. However, I highly doubt Lance will be as good or better than Prescott has been.

What players would you release as June 1 cuts?
Leighton Vander Esch. Love his heart but he is done.

Michael Gallup. Not nearly the wide receiver he used to be.

Jerry Jones negates my third and final suggestion.

If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?
Risky but I would go with Jonah Williams, tackle, Cincinnati. Williams switched to right tackle when the Bengals signed Orlando Brown but he could transition back to left and do a above average job in my opinion. The acquisition would not stop the front office from addressing offensive line early in the draft (if they chose) but it would lower the 'need factor'.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need?
General Manager.

What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?
Assistant General Manager.
Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?
No, they've lost at every step of previous negotiations. France is mopping the floor with the Arkansas Hillbillies.
Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?
No. Would be wasting yet another year of the coveted "quarterback on a rookie deal"

What players would you release as June 1 cuts?
Gallup.

If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?
The runner up for the UFL's MVP award. The winner might be too expensive.

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yeah, it doesn't matter. It will be just a bunch of new guys and no leader. No coach in sight who will be a disciplinaries. Fat Mike probably has no say, and the rest are probably the same. No one has ever been bench and will not be.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Left tackle. It is arguably the second or third most important position behind quarterback and/or defensive end.

Tyron Smith missed games but was dependable when he did play for the most part. Blindside quarterback protection is crucial in any offense Dallas puts on the field.

Defensive tackle.

Jerry Jones will do just that. Kinda makes the question moot. :)

Yes, preferably during the first two days of the draft. It is a practice the team should have implemented for every second or third draft during the past three decades. Jones wants Trey Lance to be Prescott's eventual successor. However, I highly doubt Lance will be as good or better than Prescott has been.

Leighton Vander Esch. Love his heart but he is done.

Michael Gallup. Not nearly the wide receiver he used to be.

Jerry Jones negates my third and final suggestion.

Risky but I would go with Jonah Williams, tackle, Cincinnati. Williams switched to right tackle when the Bengals signed Orlando Brown but he could transition back to left and do an above average job in my opinion. The acquisition would not stop the front office from addressing offensive line early in the draft (if they chose) but it would lower the 'need factor'.
Excellent analysis.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
General Manager.

Assistant General Manager.

No, they've lost at every step of previous negotiations. France is mopping the floor with the Arkansas Hillbillies.

No. Would be wasting yet another year of the coveted "quarterback on a rookie deal"

Gallup.

The runner up for the UFL's MVP award. The winner might be too expensive.
Agree 100% with your comment about France dominating the Jones boys. Stephen says the Cowboys “never set the market” right before they set the market.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? Defensive Line with a focus on stopping the run
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need? Middle linebacker
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space? Only if he takes a super cheap deal, under 40/year.
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year? If someone falls to them sure, it's the most coveted position. Always draft a QB if you like him.
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts? Gallup
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be? Hankins but there are probably more if i'd do some research.

Mikexike

Reaction score
QUESTIONS
ANSWERS
  1. CENTER
  2. LB
  3. ONLY IF ITS A 2 YEAR EXTENSION MAX.
  4. SHOULD BE DRAFTING ONE EVERY 2-3 YEARS.
  5. GALLUP
  6. JOSH JACOBS. NOT SURE IF HE IS AFFORDABLE.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
  1. What is the Cowboys biggest off-season personnel need? - LB/DT/Center/RB
  2. What is the second biggest off-season personnel need?- WR/DE
  3. Should the Cowboys extend Dak’s contract to free up cap space?- I think so only because I hate losing.
  4. Should the Cowboys draft a QB this year?- No
  5. What players would you release as June 1 cuts?- MG, LVE
  6. If there was one “affordable” FA you would target, who would that be?- If it’s me I’m opening up the check book and going all in with Wilkins at DT, Luvu at LB, and Hunter at DE. Defense is complete and you can take BPA on offense.
Short list would be #1. Fixing rushing offense and defense would improve this team the most.

That’s enough for this part time GM fool to focus on. Lol