Should a RB, including Zeke on Sunday, be called for lowering their head to initiate contact?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think that debating whether the call on Zeke was a good call (I'm in the camp against the call) or not is going to solve the problem. I think figuring out a way to to avoid getting called in the future is the better answer. To me, this team should go to New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, or Australia and learn rugby moves during the off-season. Rugby is where football originated, so maybe it's time to revisit the roots of the game. Rugby has taken a lot of of steps to make the game safer, and they play without pads. One thing that Zeke can learn is how to initiate contact without using his head. When I watch rugby, I notice that the chaps carrying the ball will lower and initiate contact with the shoulder which is just as effective in rugby as using the helmet is in football. Similarly, Jaylon can learn a better way to tackle Kamara than he did.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Lool, thank you for posting that!

EVERY SINGLE EXAMPLE in that video is of a defender going helmet-to-helmet with a ball carrier (with exception to the Raiders receiver trucking some defender...you guessed it...helmet-to-helmet), which coincides precisely with the new emphasis on this rule recently to help try to reduce concussions.

In fact, if you watched the video (which I’m sure you didn’t) it actually breaks it down clearer:

1. Player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet; (Zeke turns in to the oncoming defender)
  2. Player delivering the blow had an unobstructed path to his opponent; (Zeke took a clear path to the defender)
  3. Contact was clearly avoidable. (Absolutely)
Why are there no examples of defenders going low like #24 did. In fact, since you think it’s a penalty, call out an actual play that was similar where a flag was called.
I never said it was a penalty on the defender. I said he lowered and led with his head. As Zeke did. As football players do a lot. Maybe every time in short yardage and no call is made.

The correct call is no call.

You’re welcome :)