Should Bob Hayes be in the Hall of Fame?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Absolutely. Peter King is his biggest detractor and he is a fool.

The only ones who think he should not be in the Hall are the haters.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully he will get in this time because a lot of young people are not aware of the contribution Bob Hayes made to pro football. If he is inducted, they will learn about how he revolutionized the game. Something they need to know.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
RoadRunner;2451577 said:
Teams were scheming specifically to stop him, thus the Cowboys had outstanding success in the playoffs during the Hayes years. Take a look at how many playoff appearances, games played, and games won during the Hayes era.

That guy is just fishing for any reason to not include him.

He specifically noted Hayes' poor performances VS. the Packers in the '66 & '67 NFL Championship games, and the running routes with his hands in his waistband during the Icebowl.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
As great as Hayes was, imagine how much better he may have been had he had a few more years to play with Staubach. They were drafted the same year, but Staubach had to fulfill his military obligation so Hayes lost 4 years with a future HOF. That may have been really scary for defenses with a younger Staubach throwing to Hayes....timing is everything. Hayes better make it in this year....He is long, long overdue....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don't think not having Staubach held him back. He had Meredith and then Morton throwing bombs. His not being in the HOF just mystifies me. Hayes is the reason I'm a Cowboy fan. Not that that helps him. He's going to get in and I hope you can see stuff here so he gets to enjoy it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think that having Staubach for a year or two more would really have not made that much difference. Meredith was always looking for him. Morton only was the starter for really 2 seasons that it mattered. By 1972 Hayes was clearly slowing down. 71 was his last top year.

Aikbach

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2451577 said:
Teams were scheming specifically to stop him, thus the Cowboys had outstanding success in the playoffs during the Hayes years. Take a look at how many playoff appearances, games played, and games won during the Hayes era.

That guy is just fishing for any reason to not include him.
Exactly, and if being a playoff guru was the lone criteria then Timmy Smith and Jeff Hostetler ought to be enshrined.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Don't even get me started on this... it was and still is ridiculous that he is not in.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2451625 said:
I guess i'll make it 1 million and 1 times, YES!

This makes 3,497,822 times I've had to answer this question and my answer will never change... YES!

Extreme

Benched
Reaction score
I wasn't around to see him play, so I won't even attempt to make a decision on whether I think he was good, great or mediocre. All I know about him is that he indeed revolutionized the way defense was played, so even if he had sucked, that alone should get him in.

That being said, if he had sucked, the zone would have never needed to be created, which a lot of people fail to realize.

He had 3 great seasons, but after they figured out how to defend against him, he fell apart. It doesn't mean he wasn't great, it just means the zone defense was great and it worked.

You can make the argument that a great receiver would have been able to be great regardless of the defensive scheme, but it just holds no merit. Zone was created for one reason - to shut down Bob Hayes. It worked, but he still deserves the HOF.

Instead of being so upset that he's not in, accept the HOF for the joke it is like the rest of the fans have. I thought it was a joke when they took forever to get Monk in - a guy who retired with all the records - then I saw a list of the best players not in the HOF, and it's disturbing how many greats are not in.

When I typed Bob Hayes in Google, this "gem" popped up. :rolleyes: This guy is a perfect example of why writers should not get to vote.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/28/bob-hayes-changed-the-game-but-hes-not-a-pro-football-hall-of/

Here is the list of the top 10 players not in Canton. Unbelievable.
http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?id=09000d5d8099cc39&template=with-video&confirm=true

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
The most amazing part of this debate is Peter King's reaction a couple of months ago to Hayes being nominated by the Veterans Committee.

He didn't understand why the committee would send them the name of a guy who was a finalist, but didn't quite make it a couple of years ago.

He honestly didn't seem to understand.

Peter, they're trying to tell you that you screwed up last time and they're giving you another chance to get it right.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ROMOSAPIEN9;2451566 said:
When I first joined this site 4 years ago someone posted a list of the HOF writers who didn't vote for Hayes. I had a pretty good e-mail conversation with one of them. He simply stated that he agreed with me on what Hayes did for the game and how he changed the way defense was played etc..... But he got me on one point......Playoff performance and stats. Said he wouldn't vote for him because he never showed up in the playoffs.

Look it up. He's right.
Then Barry Sanders shouldn't be in either. If that is the criteria he is not a HOFer. He was the focal point of Detroit's Offense and was horrible in the Post Season. Hayes was never the focal point as a WR, just a weapon. When a weapon is taken away it means you have to adjust. When the focal point of the Offense is taken away it means see you next year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;2452671 said:
The most amazing part of this debate is Peter King's reaction a couple of months ago to Hayes being nominated by the Veterans Committee.

He didn't understand why the committee would send them the name of a guy who was a finalist, but didn't quite make it a couple of years ago.

He honestly didn't seem to understand.

Peter, they're trying to tell you that you screwed up last time and they're giving you another chance to get it right.
I wrote him that very idea. It was laced with some buckshot. The spineless yellow jellyfish never wrote me back.