Should Dallas trade for WR Michael Thomas

ondaedg

Reaction score
No for multiple reasons.

He hasn't played or been good for multiple seasons.
There are younger/healthier WRs available I'd sooner take a cheaper risk on a trade.
I am not prepared to trade for a WR. I don't think that alone is stopping the offense.

I respectfully disagree. The WRs are at this point the weakest link. Too many drops, almost no separation, no YAC. Dak is going to have to thread needles all season long which is not a good recipe for success for any team I.E. Green Bay.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Payton might be in Jerry's ear to get Thomas over here. :muttley:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
For perspective, keeping Cooper would have been much cheaper.
Not even close.
Thomas is much cheaper.
He'd cost Dallas 35M over the next 3 years if they kept him that long --they wouldn't.

BUT NO would eat a tidy 35M+ in dead cap money

Gotta figure they were gonna cut him next year anyways so they may be willing to deal him to Dallas for say an R4 and a young player.

Dallas would only eat his 700K in remaining weekly game check salary this year.
He'd have 15.5 and 18,5 in base the next 2 years.
Coop was on Cowboys books for 22M alone this year. 22M more in 2023 and also 2024.
The trade allowed CLE to get away from his bonus and such and get him down to much lower totals with void years.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
All,
Just thinking of what distressed assets can be traded for?
Wonder if Thomas could be had on the cheap as he missed all of last year and is again out.
I know he has a high cap number but he is out of favor in NO and they might be anxious to let him go.
I would ideally like to get a DJ Moore type but don't want to overpay.
Nope, and Nope! Should have kept Amari Cooper and let Schultz walk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even close.
Thomas is much cheaper.
He'd cost Dallas 35M over the next 3 years if they kept him that long --they wouldn't.

BUT NO would eat a tidy 35M+ in dead cap money

Gotta figure they were gonna cut him next year anyways so they may be willing to deal him to Dallas for say an R4 and a young player.

Dallas would only eat his 700K in remaining weekly game check salary this year.
He'd have 15.5 and 18,5 in base the next 2 years.
Coop was on Cowboys books for 22M alone this year. 22M more in 2023 and also 2024.
The trade allowed CLE to get away from his bonus and such and get him down to much lower totals with void years.

Oh! You’re right! I just looked at the totals rather than that restructure bonus they did. Now the Saints can’t afford to move him.

Motorola

Reaction score
For perspective, keeping Cooper would have been much cheaper.
Cooper's 2021 play\production - plus his actions away from the games - pissed off the GM-Owner- Grand Poobah enough that he said enough....got rid of him regardless of not being savvy enough to negotiate an adequate compensation in the trade.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper's 2021 play\production - plus his actions away from the games - pissed off the GM-Owner- Grand Poobah enough that he said enough....got rid of him regardless of not being savvy enough to negotiate an adequate compensation in the trade.

Gave the guy away - out of spite. And now the offense struggles just as the defense comes together.

This team. They plug one hole and open up another…

:facepalm:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oh! You’re right! I just looked at the totals rather than that restructure bonus they did. Now the Saints can’t afford to move him.
Yup. Issue is can the Saints free up enough cash to even make a deal with him.
If they can is it worth the headache to them now to gain an R4 and say Kelvin Joseph?

I see zero chance they keep him next year so likely have to swallow the pill eventually.

Motorola

Reaction score
Gave the guy away - out of spite. And now the offense struggles just as the defense comes together.

This team. They plug one hole and open up another…

:facepalm:
This franchise has a discombobulated structure\operational flow between Jerry, Stephen, Will McClay, and McCarthy on what the deficiencies are on this team in this current season...and how to absoive them.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. The WRs are at this point the weakest link. Too many drops, almost no separation, no YAC. Dak is going to have to thread needles all season long which is not a good recipe for success for any team I.E. Green Bay.

Cowboys have one of the worst pass blocking lines. Scheme just doing a great job at making up for it.