Should Dallas try and bring in Richard Sherman as a FS?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Sherman would be a great addition at CB. Still plays at a high level

quickccc

Reaction score
I was watching one of those YouTube podcast and they had Barry Church on as a guest. One of them floated this idea and Church thought it was a good one. So, what do y’all think? He’s lost a step as a CB but he might have a couple more years in him as a Safety. Could be the mentor this young 2ndary needs.

Yeh Late night Hype show crew suggested that to Barry church.
I'd have to see again to remember church's response.

Other big names such as Charles Woodson, aeneas Williams rod Woodson have converted from declining CB to effective free safety when they were on other side of age 30..
And rumors are niners could likely move on without sherman.

Could be a flex position move that seemed to work well with those aging guys, and could that work for us as well....:cool:

Last edited:

Twin928

Reaction score
Sherman cover 3 scheme as a CB YES ALL DAY LONG DUHHH ISNT THIS THE SCHEME N COACH THAT HE PLAYED IN THAT MADE HIM A PRO BOWL CORNER N SUPER BOWL CHAMP TRY IT CHEAP HELL WORSE CASE HE WONT MAKE IT THUR CAMP

tayloner

Reaction score
Sherman isn't a safety scheme fit. For Quinn's scheme, what we really need is a safety whose more adept at playing the single-high look. Quinn has played a lot of cover 1/cover 3 historically, and you need that deep middle drop ballhawk type safety. Now, obviously, most if not all teams could use a player with that skill set, but it's particularly important in Quinn's scheme. I don't think we have that player on the roster right now. Wilson I think will fit in great in Quinn's scheme, but not as the deep middle guy.

The nice thing is that there are a LOT of good safeties set to be free agents. Not all of them will make it to free agency, but some of them might.

Justin Simmons - the premier safety that could be available, although he likely re-signs in Denver. Is more of an all-around type player, but could certainly fill this need as he does almost everything at an elite level. Huge contract required.
Anthony Harris - great player, but not a fit for this scheme in my opinion. Better in split safety looks.
Marcus Williams - could definitely be a fit.
Marcus Maye - probably my favorite option.
John Johnson III - probably my second favorite option.
Malik Hooker - if we don't want to spend big money here, Hooker actually is perfect for this scheme. He played a little out of position in Indy in my opinion, and also has injury concerns, but could be a cheaper depth signing that fits the scheme.
Keanu Neal - not a fit for the deep middle role, but obviously has a history with Quinn and could fit into the D similar to how Donovan Wilson does.

So, Sherman may fit here as a corner, but not as a safety. We also have the possibility of bringing back Xavier Woods, and while there's 2 to 3 guys on my list above I think would be better fits, the price might be right with Woods. I think he can do a serviceable job in Quinn's scheme.

Gaede

Reaction score
Man sign him up at CB. Pretty gaping hole there.

Amazing to me that after trotting the likes of Rashad Robinson and Savion Smith out there this year, you'd turn your noses up at a former all pro

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was watching one of those YouTube podcast and they had Barry Church on as a guest. One of them floated this idea and Church thought it was a good one. So, what do y’all think? He’s lost a step as a CB but he might have a couple more years in him as a Safety. Could be the mentor this young 2ndary needs.
a big fat NO

Praxit

Reaction score
I want a guy that runs in the 4.4s not a 4.60 or worse in his dotage. FS needs great range.
....mate, .....4.6 is fast. Most NFL Joes will avg 4.7 during game with all equipment on. I'll be very surprised Sherman runs a 4.6.

starfan1

Reaction score
how about drafting the CB from OSU and turning him into a FS.(Shaun Wade)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
how about drafting the CB from OSU and turning him into a FS.(Shaun Wade)

I heard that talked about but honestly in my opinion it seems when you draft a kid then try to change his position it does not seem to work out often. Myself If am going to draft a safety then draft a kid who has played safety same with CB let him play CB. Just my 2 cents

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All you guys, you are shopping off the Cattleman's Club Menu when you should be looking at what we are likely to be able to afford, Micky D's Dollar Menu......

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All you guys, you are shopping off the Cattleman's Club Menu when you should be looking at what we are likely to be able to afford, Micky D's Dollar Menu......

Right! If Dak wants his ton of money, the Cowboys cannot shop at the Macy's in NY, they have go to The Dollar Store, where the goods look good, but are cheap products.